Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old March 18th, 2005, 11:24 PM

The new thorn in Mcguinty's side ?

From what I hear the liberals spent a lot of time and money in order to win the by-election that John Tory just smoked them in . Only yesterday we read polls stating that Mcguinty once again is forgiven for his lies . Now we see some real numbers . 56 % to 17 %

Dalton ,"Can you feel the love tonight" ?

Last edited by seeker; March 18th, 2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old March 18th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Usally the byelections to give an opposition leader are a freebie and there is almost an unwritten code that you make it easy for the opposition to elect another member of the same party simply to get the leader in. It is considered the 'honourable' thing to do.

So why did nearly EVERY Liberal minister help to campaign in this byelection?

Because: You can't trust a Liberal to be honourable.

Nice job John. Now go get em and keep them running until 2007 when we will finish them for you.
Old March 19th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Dalton's lies , Bryant's arrogance and Sobara's accounting methods, looking forward to autumn 2007 . Need I say more ?
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Me too!!Let's hope people remember by then.I'd vote for a houseplant running against McGinty
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Love all creatures

Yeah..at least a house plant will do something in return..give us oxygen...
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lise
Me too!!Let's hope people remember by then.I'd vote for a houseplant running against McGinty
It'd be nice to be the one feeding the manure instead of being fed it...
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Their latest boo-boo is appealing the feds decision to support children with Autism(sp?)M.Bryant once again will be the bad guy...
I could never in good conscience vote PC,they are all the same.....arrogant good-for-nothings,not worth the gas to get to a polling-station
So this will be the first time nobody will get our vote,we are totally disillusioned
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

My wife and I have argued about not voting. She's horrified when someone doesn't vote. She feels if you don't vote, you don't have a right to express an opinion, or complain. I feel that by not voting, I'm showing my displeasure with my choices. Her opinion is that if that's the case, then spoil your ballot. So, I think for the federal election, I'm just going to make my own entry that says, "They are all asshats" and check that one.
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to agree with your wife. If you dont vote you play into there hands.
Theres other alternatives, you could vote for an alternative party or an indepedant candidate. If you dont like any of the partys-you could try and find an individual candidate that has some integrity-difficult but not impossible, or you could join a party and try and make a difference from within. Also dificult but not impossible. Ofcourse this is only my opinion, but I really do feel like if we dont vote were completely giving up! May be proportional representation would breath some life into our so called democracy-I dont know. Somethings got to change though!!! Ive been at many elections as a scrutineer and believe me when we dump out the ballots no one cares how many people spoil there ballots, they only care which candidate wins! I always feel bad for the people who intentionally spoil them cause they think that they are making a statement, but no one is listening to them! I hope Idont sound judgemental but this is something I feel strongly about. You are obviouly an intelligent and politicaly engaged individual, you posess the kind of voice that Ontario seems to be truly lacking these days, your voice needs to be hard some way or another!

Last edited by babyrocky1; April 6th, 2005 at 08:30 PM. Reason: addition
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Believe me,my voice was always the loudest telling people to get out there and vote,from the day we became Canadian citizens.
I was extatic when the evil Pc's were shown the door but them,well,we all know what is happening :sad:
I know it's my duty as a Canadian to vote and will probably vote for the Tree-hugger party
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I will definitely be voting in 2007. I will walk in with two leashes in my hand. You figure out whom I just 'didn't' vote for. I will then drive my parents to the polls to make sure they vote too.

The night before I will be calling my sister, my brothers and my girlfriends kids too to make sure they do their duty.
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:43 AM
banned user

Well, I'm voting NDP

yet again, in hopes that out usual candidate will get elected this time. THis area is very $$$$$$$$$$ so I don't hold too many hopes.

At least the NPD did harrass the Liberals to the best of their abilty on Bill 132. I though Peter Kormos did a damn fine job! (so everyone has forgotten that, now? :sad: )
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

No way. I currently live in Peter's riding but I plan on purchasing a home elsewhere by 2007. If I am still here Peter will get my vote. Not that he’s ever needed just one vote.
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I too like Peter Kormos,but this province cannot afford the NDP,I also like Oliva Chow(SP?)all their ideas to fight poverty,homelessnes,the thousands of children who shamefully go hungry are very admirable but unfortunately not feasable in this missmanaged province.
In a perfect world,nobody should go hungry or be homeless in this"rich"province,but we are overtaxed to the hilt,where would they get the money from??
Old April 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Peter Kormos for Prime MinisterTEE HEE

Okay, I don't want to push my NDP beliefs, you all know by now Im a member, but heres my point of view, yes they are way down there in the polls, but if you have really good people in your riding, and Im not saying necessarilly that you do, unless you have Kormos, or Rosario, well theres a few that are now elected mpps, if they are people that you believe have integrety, then why not vote for them, No they wont be forming a government anytime soon, and maybe thats a good thing cause they don't have the experience yet, but I dont really care if they form a government or not. I always vote for them and regulary volunteer at election time because I believe they have a particular voice that is not present in the other two parties {main parties} sorry Greens etc. Most people tend to vote for who they want in government, but that is only part of how our system works, a strong opposition makes for much better government. Every party brings something positive to the table. If we are all to be represented democratically then we need all positions to be represented. We keep ending in the Province with huge majorities, and they become tyrants! Bryant=tyrant hmmmmm!

Last edited by babyrocky1; April 8th, 2005 at 02:08 PM. Reason: adding
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

By the way , Olivia is in my riding and when she lost we were banging our heads against the wall, ive been dissing her lately, but Ive since found out that it was the person I was dealing with in her office. Ive since been informed that Olivia is towing our party line. No BSL. Ill keep my eye on her though! She works her but off for this riding and fights the good fight for childrens issues, I dont agree with her muzzling the day care pittie but, public opinion, well shes a politician. She Was supposed to win here, federally, and we were supposed to get rid of Tony Iano once and for all. Now hes a federal minister Oh yeah she would have been the one NDP seat that would have made a big difference with the Liberal minority government and we only lost by 800 votes.
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

sorry, if this is off topic but....

[In a perfect world,nobody should go hungry or be homeless in this"rich"province,but we are overtaxed to the hilt,where would they get the money from??[/QUOTE]
Im on the computer at work now. I have a bunch of part time jobs as well as my own small business in arts, which is why I need part time jobs lol Anyway this is a community center. On Friday nights and the weekends we rent our space out the The Out of the Cold Program. The homeless come and sleep on mats in our fitness room. They also get a hot meal. It is awful. Many of these folks are either very mentally ill or they have extremely serious addiction problems. What they need is supportive housing. Residences were they can keep their dignity and also receive counselling. Some folks are just plain poor and have lost hope. They cant find work because theyve been out of the loop too long and need help finding there way back. "our taxes are already too high, cant afford it.
Apparantly our shelter program is one of the cheapest and it costs over $50.00 per person per night! They tell me some shelters are as high as $85.00 ! They are truly horrid places, better than freezing to death-not much! and for what?-they cost a fortune. This is only one example of how money could be spent, or even saved and services could be provided that were appropriate. We can afford to do better, and probably cheaper but there is no political will to do it because people assume tht shelters are the cheapest way to go and the politicians have demonized the poor instead of poverty.
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I have no problem paying taxes. I just want some value for what I pay. That doesn’t mean busting unions, ignoring the poor or not paying for therapy for autistic children. Tax me but give me some value.

It bothers me more when money is wasted on reacting when far less could be spent on prevention.
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Exacty the point I was trying to make. After having seen how they played the dog issue, I see how they play the poverty and homelessness issue, I can only assume that most of our so called problems could be better solved if media would report properly and politicians were honestly consulting the people involved. Health Care, Education, all of it -the people in the system generally have the answers. Most of the time they are not quick fixes, so the politicians don't want any part of it. Would our environment be were it is now if any governments had listened to any scientists twenty years ago? The bottom line then must be that the people have to stop settling for so little in our elected reps and media. Well not us, we don't seem to be settling at all!!!
Old April 8th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I fully agree with you both,it's refreshing to hear someone saying,the homeless are not there because they want to be,most just need a helping hand to get out of the hoplessness
There are thousands of people out there only a pay-check away from becoming homeless.I was not aware shelters are that costly
I am not against paying taxes,I come from Sweden after all ,but I too would like more value for our money,starting with taking care of kids,building affordable housing,get mentally ill people the help they need,not sweep them off the street like so much garbage,but these people are the forgotten ones,the ones who will probably not vote,no voice,no value to our politicians,but it sure is a shame on Ontario
Old April 9th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I figured that you felt that way Chico, from your previous posts it seems that you are concerned with social justice issues. I just wanted to post the information about the cost of the shelters so people would know its not a money issue at all, its just politics as usual! They say they care but havent the money to solve the problem. No its not money, the culture in Ontario has changed so much that affordable housing is now seen as an undeserved luxury for undeserving people, When in fact the opposite is true.
Old April 9th, 2005, 09:18 PM

Didn't Olivia and Jake get puplic housing of some sort back in the 90's. It turned out to be a good scam for them.
People didn't want the 2 of them to be in the commons together,that why she lost,not because she wasn't good or the other candidate better
Old April 9th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Senior Contributor

That was about the time that I met Jack and Olivia and it certainly did create a huge scandal! It took years for them to shake it and apparantly its still around. The thing is, from my point of view it wasnt true. It is true that Jack and Olivia were living in co op. I live in a co op. What your talking about is extremely sensative for me. Co op housing is not just a form of housing it is at its best a form of community building. A micro- cosm for a social democratic community. Some units of a co op will be geared to the individuals income, subsidised, sometimes federal or provincial subsidies, or in our case, some government money, but also our own members subsidise one another. The funding agreements vary a great deal from one to another. One of the fundamental principals of co ops is each person contributes what they can to the community. You are not judged by your income. The whole point of this kind of alternative community is that people are not segragated according to income. People who are not in need of rent supplements do not get them! In fact many times in co-ops the non subsidised members pay more for their units than market rent. Jack and Olivia lived in a co-op because they chose to contribute to that kind of community. Im not saying they are not politically motivated, but they were not taking advantage of public money!
One of the things I respect about them is there committment to co-op housing. One of the things I was going to point out to Olivia if I found out that she supported BSL is the comparison between what the media did to her and Jack over co-ops and what the media did to our dogs! I could go on for pages about how I believe that co-ops can solve a myriad of social and economic difficulties so I hope that that is a clear explanation.