Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 14th, 2015, 04:09 AM

Post Toilet training cats

Hi so I have convince my BF who has never owned a cat (?!!) that we need a pair in our lives and as we live in a condo his only thing is I need to toilet train them. We have the "City Kitty" toilet training set and I am quite confident I can do this with lots of love and patience.

We have not adopted yet and I would prefer not to get kittens as everyone wants kitten so I would like to a little cats a chance at a loving home.

I am wondering how old of a cat you can still train? I have found a pair who are about a year and half, is that too old?

Thanks a lot for your opinions I super appreciate it! Haley
Old March 14th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/toilet-training/

I agree with this , if a cat is using the toilet you can't see how much they're peeing , you can tell a lot about cat health just from their urine and poop.
Old March 14th, 2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley7 View Post
Hi so I have convince my BF who has never owned a cat (?!!) that we need a pair in our lives...............
Welcome to the forum, haley7 !

YIKES !!!!!!!!
I see big-time problems here................

Taking on responsibility for the lives of these little ones means being prepared for a 15-20 YEAR commitment...........and you're trying to convince your current partner - who's never had a cat - that you need two of them ?

On top of that, you're allowing him (again, someone who's never had a cat....which, de facto, means he has absolutely no actual experience with the potential effects of this insistence on toilet training)...you're allowing him to dictate the terms under which you can have a cat?

You know, a safer approach (safer for the little cat, for sure) might be for you to foster one cat......."test-drive" the idea, so-to-speak....and to see how that goes over. (Fostering is taking care of a cat for a shelter without any long-term commitment on your part and without financial responsibility.) If that went well, you might even decide to then adopt that same cat......

But, to just jump in the deep end of the pool............?

Now, about this "toilet training" thing......most "city kitties", btw, use 'standard' litter facilities quite well. I'd urge you to first, read carefully through that article Barkingdog gave you............people who know cats really well also know that cats don't communicate their health problems very well and that most of those health problems can be detected from what's in the litter box (things like a drop of blood, tiny drops/"huge" amounts of urine - things which you'll NEVER know about if you toilet train). Then, those of us who have had long experience with cats also know that most cats develop arthritis later in life, and know how much difficulty cats can have negotiating in/out of "standard" litterbox facilities......which is why we shudder when we imagine ageing cats trying to do their business on a toilet seat.

Here's a previous thread where some of these things were discussed: http://pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?...ghlight=toilet

haley7.........give yourself a little more time to think all of this through - you deserve to do so, and, I'd suggest you owe it to the little ones who might be impacted negatively by quick decisions.

Last edited by RUSTYcat; March 14th, 2015 at 12:27 PM. Reason: posted early draft
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Really, really good advice above.

Just to give you a little hope when my BF became my OH he had no choice, I already had a cat. It's his "fault" we now have five. Now he loves cats. It only took a little exposure to a well behaved, already a loving pet kitty to change his mind. Good luck. REally like the idea that you foster first.

Tags
toilet habits