Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old June 16th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston,that's a relief,thank you
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:42 AM
-

Holy cow Winston, when you said down to three, my heart skipped a beat. Thanks for keeping us updated, I find this exciting.
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Amazing!!!!!!!!!! I don't post much in this one but I sure am keeping track! How exciting is this!!!! Thanks Winston for keeping us in the know. !!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I have been on vacation this week and unable to get to the falconwatch I have been trying to keep watch from the cam...Dundas the littlest one made his first flight today while the others have been flying for a few days! I missed the most important week!

The other three have made some fantastic first flights and it sounds like only a few difficulties on landings...One went missing for the night and she turned up on a building we never really have to go to much! but all is well and I look forward to getting back next week to see Mom and Dad teach them to hunt! Sometimes you can see some amazing food transfers mid air if your watching!

I hope they all stay safe now! They will hang around for at least another month and then will move away!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 21st, 2008, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Hope you had a good vacation and not here in Ontario,where it's been cold
Isn't the fact these four babies made it to the flying stage a great accomplishment for mom and dad Peregrin?

We saw 2 red-tailed Hawks the other day,circling around,sending all my birds in to hiding and getting the Crows in to a frenzie,probably protecting their young.
I am not sure if they were Red-Tailed Hawks,but their tails were certainly reddish/orange.
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
-

Any new updates Winston?
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yes sorry I have been a bit busy! Its been a crazy couple of days...Yesterday was my first shift back on since holidays and all 4 have fledged the nest! Yesterday Miles the best flyer out of the bunch went missing at 6:30am...He could not be located anywhere...finally someone found him last night pretty low to the street and he was injured. Which we all found really amazing because no one was really looking that low! and he did not make much noise! we new something was up because 3 food drops were made for the others and he did not show up..

Miles has been taken to an owl facility where he received a mouse for dinner with a heavy dose of antibiotics in it and he will be receiving an x ray sometime today on his back area and tail feathers...he had difficulty flying so he may have some injuries...We are hoping not and that he will return really quickly before the rest of his family leaves the area...and also mom and dad need to teach these guys to hunt still so we are hoping for him to return in time to learn those skills...I will keep you posted....

The other 3 are flying really well!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:22 AM
-

Thanks Winston, hope Miles recovery goes well.
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Winston,poor Miles..wonder how he got imjured,but I guess in a busy city there are lots of ways:sad:
Hope he recovers
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I have not heard anymore about Miles and the xray but I worked a shift again today and saw a couple of really good flights from the youngest one Duncan...except that he disappeared for awhile while I was on and that is the worst feeling..he did reappear awhile later! I returned on my way home again and he had gone into hiding again...hes a little buggar!

Mom and Dad were around and much more obvious today! I think they are looking for Miles?? I hope he can be returned soon! Mom and Dad will likely still take care of him even if he arrives later! they did last year when we had one out of the nest for almost a week!

Im back on tomorrow so I will let you all know if something interesting happens...hopefully no RAIN!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I have had a couple of shifts and things have been pretty crazy at times!! Its getting much harder to keep an eye on the chicks as there flying skills are awesome and they are flying further out of the downtown core!

The youngest one is a real trouble maker! disappearing all the time and then just showing up somewhere..I had him on my watch yesterday when he dropped down into some rooftop equipment and could not get enough flight to get out! He had to be rescued!! (he would have died inthe spot he was in!!)

I was able to have the best seat in the house today! 24th floor of the office building right dab in the middle of everything! Saw some spectacular flights and some talon tag too! The funniest thing I ever saw was today Blashil landed on the rooftop and began having a bath in the standing water on the roof! it was hilarious..he had his whole head under the water and butt in the air like a duck! just loving every minute of it! I also so the other 2 have a little battle over some left over's they found..they were tumbling around fighting for it! All in all a great day and things are really winding down now!

As for Miles he is still in rehab..the will start up a mini watch when he returns....he was not eating for a few days..they will also test him in a flight cage to see if he can fly fine....after that he can come home! He was the strongest flyer and one of the first out of the nest...and Dad had taken him on some hunting trips so he can fend for himself as well..

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:05 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

for Miles' continued recovery! I hope he gets to join the rest of the family soon.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Cindy,omg how exciting it must be to watch them,like kids,they will get in trouble
Who rescues them,when like the youngest,are in trouble??
Is somebody always watching?
Is there still video,I have to check back and see..
Hopefully Miles will soon be ok,it's great that there are people like you,who cares about these beautiful birds and their survival
I just checked,thee are some really nice pics on that site,they look great!!

Last edited by chico2; June 29th, 2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well my falconwatch has come to a close and all 4 chicks are doing really good! Miles was brought back to the nest a few days ago and it was a pretty site to see him. I was called for the release to watch for any problems upon release and I got to have a peak at him in the rescue box he was in! God he was gorgeous..he has alot of darkness around his face and they are such a really nice gold brown color!! He was returned to the nest with a packed lunch of frozen quail in case he forgot what pigeon is like!! long story short when Miles was released he flew off the roof with such power and was immediatley reunited with his siblings...at first no parents were around..we didnt expect him to move at all out of fear and the heat was ectreme that day..when its hot they flake out like pancakes and sleep! but NOT Miles..It was a site to see how good he could fly!! I couldnt stay for long and returned to work..

Things got a little troublesome when the parents arrived back on the scene...Dad immediately thought he was an intruder and made several attempts to knock him off the buildings...then his siblings joined him up in the air trying to get away from his Dad and I guess he realised that if the others were playing with him it was okay because he immediately stopped his attack!! so its been a few days now and Miles has extremly well! his flying before he was hurt was amazing then! so all is well and hopefully they can move on to their own nests and keep the population growing!

On my way home today I witnessed 2 of the chicks come flying through the downtown core REALLY low! and they were sort of darting between the big buildigns playing catch I guess?? (they freak us out when they do this because the windows of big buildings are a hazard for them! and we have lost others that have flown into the buildings!!)

Thats all for now!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Cindy,that's great,wish I had seen them,maybe there are pics of them on their site?
Hopefully they'll do good !!
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chico they will post updates now that things are more relaxed..I will post them for you when I get them..

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Great,thank you
Old July 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
-

Fantastic news Winston. Thanks for sharing this with us.