Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 7th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Boss-lady!

Why do people do such dumb things?

Here's a story from the local paper's website-

Killing A Turtle Results In Fine, Probation And Homework

September 06, 2006 — A Crysler teen has been fined $100 in the death of a turtle that is a species at risk. Nineteen year old ***** ******* pleaded guilty under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act to illegally possessing a Northern Map Turtle. It is alleged a group of teenagers found a turtle on the road in Crysler, put in under the wheels of a vehicle and drove over it in June. Gibeault moved the female turtle, which was carrying eggs, to another location where it died. Along with the fine, Gibeault received three months probation and is required to do a school presentation about the significance of the turtle.

It's good that he was charged and convicted, and I like the creative sentencing, but is 100 bucks and a school presentation enough for someone who put a living thing under car wheels and ran it over? :sad:

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Queen

That's so sad, I feel so upset when I hear stories like that.:sad: I was wondering the same thing about fines, I recently found out there is a $500 dollar fine for killing seagulls where I am, and I wonder how someone comes up with a price tag for taking life. I don't think it's enough, I think community service and or conservation work for at least a couple of years would be more appropriate, as well as counselling. The lack of compassion for life is pointing to a very serious psychological problem.
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:18 PM

Maya, I am with you on the community service idea.

Perhaps working with the humane society, at a veternarian ER or other place where the perp would be able to learn about animals and compassion a lesson would be learned that would not soon be forgotten...

Even for a person who has little, money will sting at first but then can be forgotten... months of working with animals in dire straights builds character.