Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 14th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Willing cat servant

Not so pleasant smell from vents D= What to do?

Hi guys and ladies

I've been wondering how to fix or at least ease this problem. I live in an apartment building that is divided in 2 main sections and each has 2 apartments sharing 1 main entrance (for a total of 4 units)
Anyway from the vents comes a smell that is not particularly a stench however I find it unpleasant. The vents are permanently and softly exhaling a faint smell like the following: Extremely greasy stew with old banana, coffee and pot. Being the main component the grease. I can tell the cause is my neighbors very greasy cooking style among other things and whatever but that faint "perma-scent" is what I don't want.
Since it's not a problem with the furnace/vents really there's nothing to be "repaired".

Summarizing: Is there anything I could do to refresh the air that comes out of the vents? I've seen these things that you put in the vents like a piece of white material similar to filters but I don't know how much will it last, how efficient and how often would I need to change it. Obviously I want something that works for a reasonable time (aka not having to buy them every week)
Any ideas on this? Help! Meow
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Yuck! What about buying an essential oil (like peppermint) and putting some on a cottonball and putting the cotton on the underside of the vent? I guess it would work best though if the vents were blowing warm air like in winter. The other option, I used to have a small ceramic ring that sat on top of a light bulb and you put the oil on the ceramic ring. When the ring got warm from the light the oil scent came out. It was great. Wish I still had it.
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Willing cat servant

Those are good ideas. I'm going to start trying the cotton balls with the essential oil since it's what I have at hand.
I use at home those plug in aromatizers and I love them but wherever there's a vent like right here by the computer there's this faint smell so I will try that for sure. I have orange essential oil right here for a test but I'll try to get a more minty one.
Thank you Dog Dancer
I'm gonna start right now!
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried a dish of vinegar? Just inside or outside the vent. Vinegar absorbs odours and you won't notice the smell of the vinegar itself after a few minutes. Nor will guests to your apt. unless they go right up to the dish. Replace as needed.
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Willing cat servant

Oh guys... I really appreciate the advice. I'm willing to give the vinegar a try too. So far I've been experiencing an awesome smelling afternoon with the essential oil, I'm even in a better mood. And by all means all your tips and fixes are welcome.
I have more vents to cover so I'm going to try the vinegar in the living room vent