Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
AmInaL

Our new friend!

While at work today, I received a phone call from a lady who had an appointment for a euthanasia at 3:00...she wanted to know if she could get an earlier appointment as this dog was tearing her house apart. The dog is a healthy 6 month old female shep/beagle X. Apparantly all the staff has been upet for the past 2 days over this lady coming in. I told the Dr. that I didn't think I could be there for that. We had suggested to the lady to take it to the SPCA...she made excuses, contradicted herself many times as to where she got the dog and so on.

We decided we would do whatever we could to try and convince this lady to not euthanize this dog.

At 3:00 "Annie" walked in the door, and my heart just melted. I almost started to cry at the thought of someone actually wanting to end this beautiful life, I mean I have been through many euthanazias, it's not a nice thing, but generally a dog is being put to rest, away from pain and misery, but I have never euthanized a healthy animal.

We sat down with this lady who told us a heap of bull stories, about how hard she tried to find this dog a home, and how she offered to pay for all the expenses for the new owner.

I looked at the lady square in the face and asked her if she would mind if I fostered the dog. She gave ME the third degree, asked ME a million questions about ME as a pet owner!! She cared so much about this animal, that she was going to have it killed one minute, and asked me if I had a fenced yard the next! Some people are certifiably insane!!!

She agreed to let me take the dog, as long as she could know who the new owners are, If I don't choose to keep her myself. She paid for the dogs vaccination (even though I get them for free) and prepaid for her spay. She spent $300.00 on this dog, then went to the store and came back with a huge bag of food and 3 bags of treats and toys! She also wants to give me money towards the fence I'm putting up in the spring!

I can't beleive it! She is so precious! She and Toby love each other. We've re-named her Tea (tay-a) She's had a bath, and we've begun crate training. It's all happening so fast! I'll post a pic when I get my camera battery charged!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 07:06 PM
Formerly MomtoJimShelby

You are an !! Can't wait to see the pics of Tea .
Old January 22nd, 2005, 07:17 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Good Job!! I would have done the same thing! I used to volunteer at a vet clinic in highschool and worked part time in one after college and luckily never had to deal with a situation like that! This lady sounds like she's missing something upstairs!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Congrats! You've saved a life! Can't wait to see a picture!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 08:53 PM

You're really wonderful. Can't wait to see pictures of Tea...

Lyne
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:22 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Animal Hospital's are staffed with people that have "sucker" tattoo'ed across their forehead.. it's a known fact.

Congratulations!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Animal Hospital's are staffed with people that have "sucker" tattoo'ed across their forehead.. it's a known fact.

either that....or they phone me..... lol

Congrats on the new baby Tobstermom, you are an !!

is that battery charged yet??? we need a pic or 2!!!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:58 PM

You are a real angel and deserve to be congratulated. I know how gratifying it can be to save a life. You have a lot of rewards in store, in the form of all of the kisses and love you will receive from this little pup. I know .... I get those rewards every day from my little guy.

Last edited by Dwight Byrd; January 22nd, 2005 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww, that's fantastic!! Hurry with the pics!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:25 PM

What I find really strange is why this woman would want to know who ends up with her dog when she was ready to have her killed (sorry, I prefer that term instead of "euthanasia" when it is a perfectly healthy animal). I'm just so happy she was brought to your clinic - things always happen for a reason. Enjoy!
Old January 23rd, 2005, 08:24 AM
AmInaL

Tea was an angel all night. She has had absolutely no house training (no surprise) I also believe she was beaten, she went to squat to pee by the door I said "No, no honey, outside", I bent down to pick her up to put her out the door, and she cowered and rolled on her side, poor baby!

She is so smart, she's watching Toby like a hawk (I hope she doesn't pick up too many bad habits . She comes to her new name already. She sits and waits. She hasn't had any accidents in the house, but she's peeing in her crate, I'm actually getting concerned about the frequency of her pees...I had her out at 4am and her crate was wet by 8, so she's not holding overnight yet, which kind of concerns me at 6 months old, I might run a urine into work tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.

I can't beleive how much she blossomed in such a short amount of time, she's just beautiful.

My brother- in- law's fiancees dog died a few months ago, and she's been talking about getting another one, when she found out last night about Tea, she was so excited, they adored their other dog, She would have a magnificent home with them. I'd love to keep Tea, but I think she would do better as the only "child", she needs the one on one attention, I think she would blossom from that, but we'll see. Right now she's safe and happy, that's the main thing!

Thank you so much for your touching replies, I do feel proud of myself, and I realize now that everything happens for a reason!

Oh, and by the way, I'm going to wear my "sucker" tattoo with pride!
Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

The"sucker tattoo"is really a medal for having a wonderful heart
Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:51 PM
AmInaL

Here she is!
Attached Images

Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:53 PM
AmInaL

It's hard to get a good pic of her, when you kneel down she comes leaping for hugs!
Attached Images

Old January 23rd, 2005, 07:33 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Yup, she's a keeper. Smart too, she can read.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

She is adorable !!!! you are an angel for saving Tea life

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:06 PM

What a precious pup! And so intelligent looking already - it is obvious why you jumped in to rescue this little darlin'
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:26 PM
Senior Contributor

How sweet in her little white booties! She looks like a minpin. Someone private messaged me that our little foundling looks like a minpin so I have been researching minpins. And she sure resembles one!
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

awwwww

what a cutie!!!

Kudos to you Tobstermom for saving a life!!!! :love:
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

What a cutie patootie....

You did an amazing thing taking her in...You are an

I definately see the Shep/Beagle in her.

More pics please.........
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Has got it going on

Oooh she's SO precious! What a horrible lady wanting to put her down! What is WRONG with people!? That upsets me so much. Thank God for you Tobster, you really ARE an angel! :love:
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

They pick you..........

"I only own one, and am looking to rescue, but I'm driving myself insane. I can't decide on a breed. I mean I work for a vet, I know alot about different breeds, but everytime I see one that I fall in love with, I change my mind. You'd think working at a vet I would see lots of dogs needing homes, but it's rare for some reason.

Please don't tell me I'm turning into the "crazy dog lady". I'm looking for the perfect dog, but there are soooo many perfect ones out there! One minute I'm looking at Greyhounds, the next labs, terriers, etc etc.

Oh dear lord, I can't stop. I'll end up living alone with a gazillion dogs.

O.K end of rant.

I know the right dog will come around at the right time.
"

Hate to say told you so. BUT told you so.

Nice ending.
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:28 PM
AmInaL

Thanks twodogs!

Here's a better pic of Tea. She was wearing a cheap red dollar store collar and it turned her white patch pink. As soon as the storm is over, I'll go out and get her a good one, I think purple is her colour!
Attached Images

Old January 24th, 2005, 02:29 PM
AmInaL

Toby sharing his love seat!
Attached Images

Old January 24th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Nice looking dog.

Love the booties. Glad you found that second pup. I think two is my limit. Whoever said two is no more work than one lied or I'm doing it wrong.
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah for you what an angel you are. She is a real cutie. Maybe her peeing is partially anxiety but I would take a sample and run test could be UTI. Keep us posted on this cutie :queen:
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:38 PM
AmInaL

Those booties were grey when I brought her home though, poor thing! I think this was her first bath. She seems like she's in heaven here, she doesn't know what to play with next, she's even taking the toys from Toby's mouth, good job he's super easy going!
Old January 24th, 2005, 05:14 PM

You are such a good person!

I love her, she is so cute.
Old January 31st, 2005, 12:05 PM
AmInaL

I though I would update you all on Tea. Tea went on a sleepover with my brother-in-law's fiancee, and never came back!

She had lost her dog about 6 months ago, and has been pining for one ever since. She heard about Tea and fell madly in love upon seeing her. My husband and I agreed that Tea would do well as an only dog, and she needed major one-on-one training. I let her go over night on trial, and little missy took over their home and their hearts. There is someone home with her all day, I think that is ideal for this little one, she was so deprived of human contact.

Granted I miss Tea (now called Zoe), but I think she's in a great home. I don't think I was meant to have a second dog, I think I was meant to help dogs in need, I like the idea of being a foster mom. It was a great feeling to save this baby and find her the perfect home. I do however lay claim to visitation rights and will puppysit anytime. I'm glad she's part of the family!
Old January 31st, 2005, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah for you and Zoe. Glad she has a forever home now. This gives you the chance to save another one
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog