Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old February 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM

What Brand of Cat Food

I've been feeding my cats Purina One dry cat food, the ingredients look pretty good as far as I'm concerned. All of my cats used to be very picky eaters and when I switched to this food they all ate it without any problems whatsoever. I also feed them a forkful of wet food with their dinner, whatever type they have at the grocery store; however, Iwas wondering what type of wet (or dry) food that you feed your cat? I want to make sure I"m feeding my cats good quality food.
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

While Purina One is not too bad for grocery store food, it still has a lot of corn meal and other fillers that cats cannot digest or use.

I would feed more canned and less dry. Much better for your cats. Grocery store canned is okay, just stay away from the cheap store brands.
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:50 AM

you keep saying that wet is better than dry. Yet my Vet says otherwise. Why do you suggest wet food? I thought they need hard food to keep their teeth healthy, because I can tell you right now, there's no way in hell that I could ever keep any of my 3 cats still enough to try to brush their teeth!!

Also, one of my 3 cats, Salem, is very overweight and it is worrisome. Do you really think that feeding her more wet food will help her lose weight? because she's very sedentary, doesnt run around the house at all like my other two, pretty much sleeps 22/24 hours a day.

What wet food brands do you recommend?
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniGIrl
you keep saying that wet is better than dry. Yet my Vet says otherwise. Why do you suggest wet food? I thought they need hard food to keep their teeth healthy, because I can tell you right now, there's no way in hell that I could ever keep any of my 3 cats still enough to try to brush their teeth!!

Also, one of my 3 cats, Salem, is very overweight and it is worrisome. Do you really think that feeding her more wet food will help her lose weight? because she's very sedentary, doesnt run around the house at all like my other two, pretty much sleeps 22/24 hours a day.

What wet food brands do you recommend?
a vet is not a nutritionalist.

I had an overweight cat - she was 17-18lbs when she came to live w/ me, and had only been eating dry food. I put her on wet, and now she's a very healthy 12lbs and more active. she no longer pigged out on the dry food because the wet food satisfied her hunger - now she just nibbles the dry, and eats 1/2 can of wet for a meal.

I feed Wellness canned. (I get the small cans, split between each of my cats (2) each night - this way it's a fresh can each day - my cats are not big fans of leftover refridgerated cold wet food)

as for your overweight cat - try to have some quality one-on-one play time with him (maybe just 10-20min a night) - get him to be more active - for his health.
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Agree with Jessi. I've never seen so many obsese, dandruffy cats as the ones who eat dry only.

Hard food has nothing to do with healthy teeth and a dry diet is about the most unnatural thing that cats - obligate carnivores - can eat.

I've had cats all my life, never had a fat one and they all had good teeth and lived for between 17 and 20 years. Never had a neutered male with blockages either. They all ate canned all their lives with a little dry for snacking.

I never brushed their teeth either.
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:36 AM

ok thanks. You've convinced me to give wet food a try. I feed my cats once in the mornings and in the evenings. How much wet food per cat per day should they eat? (cat foods come in different sized cans) (Wellness? do they sell this brand in Canada??) My cats LOVE wet food, especially the youngest, Friday, she'll enhale it, I just know it! HOpefully once they get used to it that'll change.

I've had cats all my life as well, and only Salem has been fat. I honestly dont know how she got so fat, she eats the same as my other cats and they've always been a healthy weight. and you're right, her fur isnt soft and silky like the other two, and she definitely has more dander.

Salem is probably a cat that should be in a home with no other cats, unfortunately. She's always been extremely timid and anti-social. She does come out to play every now and then, but any sudden movement, or attitude from another cat, and off she goes to hide
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:00 AM

ok, for the past few weeks I've been feeding my cats Wellness food (dry and wet food). They love it which is great, and they do seem to be eating less food and getting fuller faster than before.

My only concern is that during the past two weeks, I've found two big coughed up hairballs on my carpet. They're from my smallest cat, Friday, who is about 2 years old and who has never coughed up a hairball (at least not that Ive ever seen).

Why is this happening all of a sudden? could it be the food? I thought this food was supposed to help prevent hair balls?!?!