Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Pawing = Dominance?

In the last month or so, Skylar has taken to putting her paw on me. Example: I'll be sitting in a chair or lying on the couch and she'll put a paw on me, however high she can get it on my body like she's asking for something. Other times it seems really random and she'll just look at me. She doesn't seem to like it when I do it back to her.

Just a few minutes ago she did it to me again, I gave her a bath and after the towel drying, the post bath zoomies and then a more relaxed rub down with a dry towel, she sat up (I was sitting on the floor) and she put her paw on my shoulder and then stared at me. This particular time I told her 'Off' and she complied.

She doesn't do this to DH. Is it a dominance thing? I know that I really don't like it, especially when she manages to get her paw on my upper body.

Any insight into this behaviour? Is it innocent or is she trying to assert herself over me?

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Buddy does it to all of us, but I believe he just wants attention, he does it for love. He's got long nails, so it hurts sometimes, so I have been trying to get him to stop it.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Our trainer says not to pet them when they do that. If you want to pet him ask him to sit or lay down first and then pet. Not sure if its dominance but if you do pet him when he asks for it then it shows to him he is in control
Luke does it all the time and I admit most of the time I give in!
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

We generally try not to pet her when she begs for it (nudging us with her nose mainly), we make her sit or lay down and then reward her with pets. Although it doesn't really seem to discourage her from nudging us, lol. She probably knows she's still going to get pets anyway after she works for it.

Old November 27th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Master of the Drool!

My guys do it too if I am not paying attention to them Example: If I am reading a book or on the computer. Then they will paw at me. I totally cave. I admit it. But they look at me with those eyes!! Good luck
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat&Murph View Post
My guys do it too if I am not paying attention to them Example: If I am reading a book or on the computer. Then they will paw at me. I totally cave. I admit it. But they look at me with those eyes!! Good luck

Yup, me too, how can you resist those big brown beautiful eyes!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

My dogs will put a paw on my knee to get my attention....then they sit nice for pets. I have to admit if they did it to my upper body though I wouldn't like it. I think the fact that you've identified it makes you uncomfortable means it's a behaviour you should contiunue to correct. Sounds like you're doing everything right - she'll get the message.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Master of the Drool!

HappyCats I can't resist!! My guys are very good otherwise so I forgive the odd bear claw at my leg!! Lol
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:35 PM
-

Daisy used to do this all the time , almost gave me high fives but she only wanted to have her belly scratched how could I say no ? or she would do it during thunderstorms too because she was afraid.
Old November 28th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Geek Club CEO

We pretty much have a "no dog feet touch humans" rule in our house...Jaida sometimes wants to put her one paw up on your shoulder if you're sitting on the floor with her, in that case it's clearly about wanting attention/wuvs. Heidi, I noticed, would often put a foot on top of mine when we were working on heels or side-sits...that was clearly an attitude/bossy thing. We generally discourage all feet-touching, and like others, ask the dogs to sit or settle before they get their wuvs.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old November 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm with Bendyfoot. Whether it is dominance or a solicitation for pets I am not sure but I don't like it when my pup does that. Especially if I have just trimmed his toenails and they have sharp edges. Put a paw on me and those toes get pinched.
Old November 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Geek Club CEO

Yeah ow, sharp nails suck. When Jaida does it we call it "The Giant Killer Paw of Death" 'cause it usually ends with a poked eye or a scratched neck if you're not paying attention, she's pretty spazzy and her aim sucks It's funny when we come home and the dogs are all excited...they know the "no feeties rule" so they dance around on their hind legs with their arms in the air...but just out of reach of hooman legs
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old November 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
they dance around on their hind legs with their arms in the air...but just out of reach of hooman legs
Chase does that too....so cute!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Maya does it only when she has to go potty. She comes up, sits, pats you once on the knee, and just sits and looks at you patiently. Colby used to just go to the door, but if no one is near the door, no one knows. He watched her do this and saw the result, so now he does it too. Only at potty time, only one "pat" and we never taught either one to do it.

In Memory: Spot, Reese, Scrunk, and Nikki - always in my heart
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

OK, so I'm not weird about not wanting her to paw at me. I think I'll continue to discourage her from pawing, go through the sit/settle routine and hope that eventually she gets the picture.

You'd swear she was starved of attention the way she nudges and paws, lol.

Old November 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM

I've never bought into the "pawing = dominance" gimmick.

They do it because it works, not because they're planning to overtake you as "alpha"! They figure it out, it gets your attention, they want it, they get let out, or they get patted. It WORKS!

I agree with ignoring it "actively". I know it sounds confusing, but ignoring a dog actively, is a way of ignoring them but making it clear to them that you are. I might push their paw off first, but it may become a game then, how quick they can get their paw back on you, or I might just stand up so the paw falls off. Reward what you want to see, so if they sit in front of you or lie down, then give attention.

My boy does this sometimes, it's so rare and he's so gentle about it, I really don't mind. If I do mind at the time, I just let him know and he stops right away.
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:46 PM

My dog paws when he wants out. I don't ignore it,as it's a more reliable cue than simply staring at me, which could mean anything. It works for us. And Scruff is a terrier, so if wants to show dominance he does things a LOT more assertive than simple pawing...lol..
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Dazy does this all the time - to everyone, as a greeting, we never discouraged it but we have taughed her "paws down" which means keep your paws down - its not the time.

How can I resist this? I dont interprit it as dominence but if you don't like it - teach your dog not too.
Attached Images

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Both Keely And Kacee do this to me. I dont know why people would take it so "personaly" or not like it, if it isnt causing problems, whats the point of making them stop?

Just the other day i was eating in my recliner and I didnt have keelys attention so she layed her paw on my belly as if to say " Mom, Why arent you sharing" So i gave her a little peice of beef and she was content and went to sleep. No, i dont mind giving my dog a little peice of what im eating, I dont ming her staring at me while eating. I think its a little uptight if you dont like it when your dog paws at you or watches you eat. I mean i could understand it if the dog was up in your plate or knawing your hand off to get a peaice of chiken of something Just my
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Babymomma, I guess cuz some dogs are big and some times dirty - and not all people are dog people, so I can understand why you wouldnt want to always encourage it. I have a girlfriend who doesnt even like to pet Dazy cuz of the paw/hair/drool factor - it grosses her out. LOL!

Personal preference, I dont think its dominence tho, but its not always something people enjoy.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

For me, it's the forcefulness of it and the fact that she does it to my upper body. And it also seems that there are different types of pawing. Sometimes it seems like it's attention getting and generally gentle, other times it defintely different and way more forceful.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Makes sense Stacer - especially with big dogs, the nails sometimes hurt too. You know your dog best and you know when they are trying to be the boss. Little buggers.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

FordGirl - I think Dazy just wants another Kokanee! She looks so content. Stacer you know what feels right, go with your instincts.
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I know that some folks attribute pretty much any dog behavior to a dominance thing, but I don't buy into the whole "everything your dog does is a dominance issue" school of thought.

In Skylar's case, I would guess that you already know the answer - she wants attention and she wants it now. She probably didn't get much attention in her life, and now that she has humans who love on her, she wants it constantly.

I see the difference in my two dogs - Hazel, who has been with us since 9 weeks and always lavished with as much attention as she could want, will come up to you for a pat on the head or a belly rub and then is content. Malone, who was adopted from the humane society, is extremely demanding and needy. He constantly wants to be petted and loved on - and he will nudge your hand, lick your hand, put his paw on you, whatever it takes to get your attention. He's not trying to be alpha, he's trying to get me to pet him. He doesn't have very good aim, and has scratched me before, so we started teaching the 'no paws' command, and 'back off' for when he's being just generally demanding. He's getting better about the pawing, and I never pet him when he's being demanding. I wait til he sits and waits quietly for a moment, then I'll pet him.