Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 7th, 2007, 11:49 AM

Sick again, need advise

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I had posted a thread about my cocker spaniel's skin and got wishes from all of you. Im hoping some of you may be able to shed light on our latest problem. He is a about a year and a half old.

Day before yesterday, Hershey got his paws on a cooked goat bone and by the time I realized it, he had chomped up half of it. The next morning he began throwing up and threw up three times between 5:30 and 8:30 am. What he seemed to be throwing up was a yellowish foam, kind of like bile. Nothing else ever came out. We took him to the vet, and had xrays done, the vet did not see any blockage of any sort. She wanted to run bloodwork for pancreatitis, and so told me not to give him anything but water for the day.

He pooped a little later in the evening, but other than being a little weak, was completely normal.

This morning we got the bloodwork back and I was completely shocked when she said that his levels were off the chart. Apparently his liver enzymes and his creatinin count were much higher than she had ever seen for such a young dog. She mentioned the numbers 26 and 65, but i am so upset, i cant remember which was which. She asked if he had eaten plants that could have done this (we only have grass in the lawn), and then asked if he could have ingested any cleaning supplies. I am very sure that neither of these possiblities are possible.

He is now going to be on IV for 3 days, after which we are to take another set of tests to see if the levels have gone down.

Have aby of you come across anythign similar in your experiences? any advice?

I am very upset and anything y'all say would be appreciated.

thanks
arpita
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow, that is really scary to know that something like that could have been going on without you knowing about it. I have never heard of anything like this before, so I have no advice, but I wanted to say that I hope that he gets better real soon
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I've never had any experience with anything like that, either. So scary! I hope Hershey is better soon!
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:29 PM

the only other thing that i can think of which is new... is that the vet put him on clavamox last week for the skin irritation and also on benadryl for allergies. does anyone thing he could be having a reaction to one of these?
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM

I wouldn't think clavamox or benadryl would do that to his enzyme results, as they are pretty standard and benign medications. Maybe it is possible that when you weren't looking he got into some kind of cleaning stuff or anitfreeze (which they will drink as it apparently tastes sweet) or whatever. Puppies can do get into things like that very quickly without you even knowing. Anyway, at least he's under vet care now. I hope everything turns out ok.
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree - those meds would not affect his electrolytes and enzyes that dramatically!! It could well be a plant or something he ate when you were not looking. Even chocolate can be very harmful to a dog - there are so many things to watch out for!!

I hope he is doing well soon!!
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:27 PM

ok the only thing i can think of with regards to cleaners....his food is sometimes kept in the same cupboard with sealed containers of the cleaners. could that be it? im going to move it now but his food is kept sealed and so are the cleaners and i am very sure that they have never come in contact with each other.

i got a copy of the blood test. his BUN IS 65, creatinine is 3.2, and amylase is 3695. does that mean anything to anyone? his vet hasnt really sat down and explained any of this to me.

Thank you to all of you for your wishes and concern, hershey and I truly appreciate it.