Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 29th, 2005, 04:35 PM

Exclamation Looking For Teenie Weenie Dogs!!!!!

hello,

We're new to pets.ca, my wife and I don't even have a pet yet. But we want a miniature daschund, short hair, red, or a dappled. Does anyone know what breeders are there in Ontario, New York State, or Michigan State? If you could, reply to (** sorry no email addresses please)
Thanks!!!

Last edited by White Wolf; September 29th, 2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:41 PM

If anybody knows of any breeders and can help, they'll post here.
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:41 PM

If you would be interested in rescueing one you could try this link:

http://www.wienerdogrescue.com/
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:44 PM

There is also http://www.petfinder.com/ if you want to adopt...
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:21 PM

Well it seems you are not able to receive PM's so I hope that I'm not breaking any ruls by posting this ...
My old teacher Ed Wild used to breed beagles and has now moved on to breeding daschunds from what I've been told. He judges at dog shows so, he is someone that I definately trust. Unfortunatley, i do not know his kennel name .... maybe the CKC can help ya with that. He's out of southwestern ontario
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:52 PM

No, that's not breaking any rules. As long as you don't bash the name you give and it's not your kennel.
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I was going to keep my mouth shut but decided I couldn't. Very strongly suggest you speak with your vet or would-be vet who has experience with mini Dachshunds to discuss Dachshund health issues - in particular Dachshund neck and back disc disease - Stages I and II - and cost of treatment - successful or not. There are other health issues - if you Google you will find them - but I can't stress enough the importance of having a thorough understanding of the disc problem. ALSO, while Dappled Dachshunds are adorable, unusually coloured dogs within a breed tend to suffer from the illnesses that the breed is subject to but to a greater degree. Our last little darling Dachshund was a Dapple - we adopted him after he was returned by people who wanted him to be a show dog - he was a person and would have nothing to do with it. As soon as my vet saw him, she warned me about his colouring - and as we had already lost our first Dachshund to worst case disc disease - he was a gorgeous red - she was worried. At age 6 he developed Stage II disc disease and when we arrived at Guelph for midnight emergency surgery our Neurosurgeon also told us about the problem with unusual colouring. My Dachshunds were super alpha and super benevolent. I have noticed that many of the young Dachshunds I see today are mild mannered and their owners have told me they have sensitive stomachs. Must be more genetic mucking about. Sensitive tummies were not an issue with my guys. Also if you do proceed, don't go too tiny - my dogs were 10 lbs. In NY a couple of weeks ago I saw a 4 lb. Dapple - and felt very sick. This dog will have serious health problems. In Ontario most of the breeders are in Southern Ontario. I am not trying to scare you off - I have had 7 Dachshunds - 4 at one time - with my main 2 guys suffering from the major disc disease. It is possible that a dog you adopt will never experience the problem or if he/she does, it may affect only one or two discs, not every single one. Major back surgery, with recovery in hospital should cost you about $6,000. Neck surgery maybe $3,000 - but usually if neck goes back will go as well. Just want you to understand the problems. There are many Dachshunds available through Rescues. If you go this route, watch carefully for any wording suggesting therapy or follow-up visits to Guelph. If you buy the dog from a breeder, you will be told that neither parent suffered from the disease - well I would like to have my own X-Rays taken, thank you very much. Would also suggest that you get a few of the now readily available ramps for the bed and sofa to ease the strain on the dog's back. Also very important to keep weight down. Bloat can be an issue and teeth will require work - too many for small mouth. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love these dogs but now think that breeding should cease. Before we adopted our first Dachshund we had a Beagle. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do, but I absolutely cannot bring myself not to stress the problems you might face. So please, speak with a vet - or even call Guelph Small Animal Clinic and ask for stats.
Old October 1st, 2005, 09:50 PM

SnowDancer, I think it's great that you inform people about these doggies. A real Dachs advocate.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Prin. I think the only Dachshund I could bring myself to adopt and live with the fear of paralysis at any moment would be the feisty little guy that lasted for 2 weeks in the New Orleans Convention Centre - one of the 2 dogs found by Anderson Cooper and the doctor who stayed to help. Now, that would be my type of guy. I mentioned this to my vet who practically has a revolving door of Dachshunds with back problems and she agreed - definitely my type of Dachshund.