Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM

A Question...

Hi everyone, I'll be going to the intro thread next but first I wanted to post this question.

I have an eight year old male neutered Manx cat who has something wrong with him. About a month to 6 weeks ago I took him to the doctor because we noticed he'd lost about 5 lbs. Originally he weighed around 18 lbs. and was down close to 13 lbs. He has a great appetite but was becoming pretty lethargic and just not himself.

The doctor did an exam, a stool test and a blood test. Everything came back fine, as well as his thyroid test. Said it was probably just normal aging and not to worry.

So we took him home and tried not to worry. A few days he would even seem himself and be a little more active. But this past week we weighed him again and he's now down to 11 lbs. He's still pretty lethargic and now his coat is starting to look somewhat different... hard to explain but just a bit "rumpled" or something. This morning I noticed his eyes look a little different too, again hard to explain but just not right, maybe a bit cloudy but not really... a little wet or something? Sorry I can't be more specific.

I don't think he has any diarrhea, it's hard to tell since we have 3 others and they all use all the litterboxes. But when cleaning them out, we've not noticed anything wrong in that area.

I will be taking him to a new doctor if it's open on Monday and if not, then the first thing Tuesday. But for now, do any of you have any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM
-

Cloudy eyes , that doesn't sound good. And I was about to tell you to take him to another vet but I see you will , that's a good idea. I'm afraid we can't really help you , until a vet does more tests and find what is wrong with your cat , but there's defenetly something wrong.

Good luck
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM

Thanks. I'm hoping the good appetite and the fact that he's still bathing are good signs. He still gets excited when the word "Snackies" is mentioned so maybe that too is a good sign.

Hopefully the doc will be open on Monday.
Old May 25th, 2008, 12:58 AM

So many things can be the reason for the weight loss & the lethargy the coat & eye changes are likely from the same cause.

for the vet visit & great idea to go for a second opinion

There are 24hr Emergency (more expensive but you won't have to wait until Tues) vets in Arkansas if the one you chose is not open on the holiday. Google emergency vet arkansas & look for one closest to your location.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Swift Tribe

what are you feeding? wont a lack of taurine cause cloudy eyes??

you could try supplementing his diet with wet food (if you arent already) or try making a switch to a higher quality wet food. i doubt that will fix whatver problem you are having but it wont hurt if you dont starve him for food trying to make the transition. just offer higher quality food until he decides to try some.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't have any other advice because the others had some great ideas, but I did want to mention maybe it's something environmental. Have you changed anything around him, like the cleaning solutions you use around the house or maybe different detergent in his blankets or bed? Perhaps it's allergy related?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM

Hey, thanks for all the input.

As far as food goes, they eat a prescription diet for urinary health and have been eating it for a couple of years now if not a bit longer. Oddly enough, I can't remember the name of it, I think it's Royal something... I buy it from the Vet's office by the 20lb bag and just dump it up in a container, but I do know it costs right at $40 a bag.

They don't care for wet food, I've gotten them a few different ones over the years but they don't really like it so I gave it up.

Environmentally nothing has changed. I'm always aware of things coming in the house or going on outside. If mowing is going on or any kind of work outside, the windows are closed til the next day because of the 2 who have grass allergies. No plants or sprays or anything come into the house except for catnip and this one large plant I've been getting them for years and was approved by my old veterinarian and a list online.

They stay indoors ever since we moved and have adjusted very well. I always make sure they have windows to look out of and now we even have a large sunroom with a giant cat tree for them to enjoy. I keep bird feeders about 10 feet from the floor to ceiling windows and even bought a bird bath just yesterday for even more fun to watch.

I just can't figure this out and am looking forward to taking him in as soon as I can, which will hopefully be first thing in the morning.

Thanks again for all your help, it's much appreciated.
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM
banned user

Is it possible he has a tapeworm? I took in a stray that had one and she had some of the symptoms of your little boy. WOuld that show up on a stool sample test or bloode test?
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:22 PM

Tapeworm would show in a fecal test but not in a blood test.

Based on the symptoms & the prolonged weight loss & age of the cat, I would guess you're looking at a medical cause (kidney failure, hyperthyroidism, liver disease) not something enviromental or parasite related

for the vet visit - have them do blood, urine & fecal tests & please do give us an update

Old May 27th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Ok we had the vet visit today. He had a fever this morning, that's a new symptom. I noticed his ears were really warm.

Anyway, his temperature was 104 and his weight is around 12 lbs. They took some blood and ran several tests there in the office. Said it wasn't his kidney's and really the only thing that did show up was a slight elevation in something that could point to the liver. But he said it was very minimal and wasn't enough to be considered a diagnosis. The doctor said that from his symptoms and the way he looked, it was thinking thyroid so they sent some blood off for another thyroid test and we should know something by Thursday or Friday at the latest.

He said if it came back negative like the last one did then he'd do some xrays of his abdomen and start looking for tumors. He also said something about him having different sized blood cells? Said it was a sign that his bone marrow was producing more cells... I should have written this stuff down, I have a terrible memory.

But he sent us home with some antibiotics and he had his first dose about 4 hours ago. His fever is gone now and he's actually sitting in the window looking outside. He seems a little better, but that could be wishful thinking.

Thanks for all the input and I'll update as soon as I know more.

Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:51 PM

Well it's Wednesday night and I'm sitting here very upset. He just seems to be worse this evening. Actually I'm more than upset, I'm in tears because I just can't imagine him not being around. I'm really trying hard to be optimistic and think good thoughts, but tonight I've let myself break down and I really hate that.

I keep telling myself that it's only been one day since he's seen the doc, to give it time but the other part of me is preparing myself for the worst. My husband seems to be trying to believe he's just tired because it's night time, so I'll try and think his way and maybe I'll really start to believe it myself.

Ok, I think I'm done. I think I just needed to "talk".
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Live well, laugh often

Awwww :sad:.

Hugs to you and your cat . If it is something that the antibiotics can help then it will likely be a few days before he has significant improvement. Hope he feels better soon .
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:06 AM

I know how you feel

I've been through the Hyperthyroidism and currently dealing with kidney failure with my girl & they are both managable, so is liver disease we'll for everything to be alright.

It's so hard when they can't tell you what they are feeling, if they just need a little rest or whatever. The waiting is always the worst part cuz your mind goes where it shouldn't. I know it's hard but think positive happy thoughts remember how he was running around getting into trouble as a kitten ~ anything to keep your mind from where it's headed ~ I am a firm believer in the power of suggestion. If you think something will happen it's gonna whether its good or bad

happy thoughts

Old May 29th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I hope you find out soon what is going on with your kitty. Waiting is so hard, the worst possible things go through your mind..

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope you hear some good news soon. I know it must be hard, but try to think positive. Please keep us updated.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM

He's taken all of his antibiotics and all of his blood work came back normal. His fever is gone, but I know there's something going on with his eyes. They just don't look right and I think he's having trouble seeing, especially up close like when you're going to pet his head it's as though it startles him when your hand first touches him even if you're right in front of him.

I'm taking him back tomorrow for another look. Something isn't right and this is the second doctor he's seen. I put his spike collar on him, which he used to have to wear in the very last hole because his neck was so big, now it's had to be moved up to about 5 notches.
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:45 PM

It is possible it was an infection of some sort he was fighting, was he tested for FeLk, FIP, FIV?

The eyes could be a side effect of whatever was going on before, or given his age he could also be losing some sight

Good luck at the vets' tomorrow hopefully they'll have some answers for you