Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old August 14th, 2008, 11:36 AM

Unhappy Question-your help/advice is greatly appreciated

Good day, I have a beautiful beagle, LADY but lady is unlike her name at all...She was betrothed to a very handsome male hunting beagle, since she was old enough to mate, but not once did she take any interest in him...She never mated with him...last year when his owners brought him to meet with her again, she ran out on us, since he's an outdoor dog, and Lady is an indoor pet, the only way he was comfortable was having them outside, it isn't a problem since Lady is allowed to be outside whenever she needs to. She never runs out of the yard, but for some strange reason she got away from us and her mate and disappeared for about 3 days...I was ready to call the animal control and was in a panic but before the 3rd day was over she came back and again denied her mate what he was there for...after a week of denial, again, he went home...several weeks later I noticed she was getting big, so I thought that maybe she and her beagle mate had done just that, and they were finally going to have puppies!!! Well I was wrong..One of the neighbors towards the end of the block let me know that Lady was sleeping in his dog's house...his dog is a golden retriever a huge dog!!! He has a fence around the yard and his dog has never escaped and he didn't know how in the world LADY got inside...The point is she almost died and lost her puppies...I have kept a better eye on her and so far she hadn't gone near that yard nor outside of ours up until it was time to mate her again with the handsome beagle she ran away again and this that I had her tied up...The morning he showed up I tied her up outside, then went to work and when I came back she was gone!!! She came back the same day but before anyone could grab her unlady a$$ she ran away again...I asked a friend to help me find her and catch her, we even went to see if she was back with the retriever and she wasn't!!! I thought I had lost her for sure..We sent the male beagle home again...Then, around 1 am I hear her crying, and howling in pain, I asked my boyfriend to go look and see what's going on, we catch her tangled up with a CHOW!!! One of our other neighbors' has a gorgeous black chow, now I am not so fond of that dog because he's really mean, and they always let him out around midnight and he roams around the neighborhood...
Now she's pregnant again, by a CHOW!!! What are her chances of having this dog's puppies? I am scared for her again, but she's around 35 lbs, she's very active, and even though I am sure that dog is around 40 lbs, I know when they are born they are not as huge as they look...I don't care if she has puppies, I wanted to keep her with her breed since I paid top money for her un-LADY a$$, but no matter how many times we try with a male beagle she's attracted to bigger dogs... UGH...I don't know what the chances are of a female beagle having chow puppies but your help is greatly appreciated...
It's really sad because our female Rott, PRINCESS, is the only one allowed to go outside without a leash, she has never ran away even when other male dogs are around...even when she's in mating time...she still doesn't run away...In our neighborhood there is a rott male, and a doby male as well, and these are the only 2 dogs my Princess is interested in...isn't that funny? She doesn't like the retriever nor the chow, but she gets all crazy when she sees/smells the doby and rott males...LOL...but she's still not mated...
But the BEAGLE LADY goes after the big dogs and now she's pregnant and I don't know if I should be worried for her or not and your help is greatly appreciated...I look forward to hearing from you!!
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:48 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

What i am going to say is going to sound nasty but i'm thinking of your dogs well being at this point. Take your dog to the vet asap and have the puppies aborted and your female spayed. You don't know enough about breeding to even attempt it. No knowledgeable breeder would leave a female in heat chained outside by themselves where any dog that can get over the fence can get to her. A full grown chow is more than 40lbs and NO she won't be able to deliver the puppies. There are enough mutts in the humane society now looking for homes. Please get her fixed and don't add to the byb going on already.
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:49 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by anika View Post
I don't care if she has puppies,
I can clearly see that you don't care about your dog !!! You didn't get the message when she ran off the first time. You actually tied her so she would let the male impregnate her ? WTF ???? She could have died having the golden's pups , now again ? WTF are you waiting for to get her spayed ? You keep putting her in danger ! You don't deserve to own a dog !!!
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I think your dog, the universe, the situation is all trying to tell you something here:

get your dog spayed before she dies from complications of pregnancy or from wandering around un-leashed and un-attended.
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am stunned and can't even gather my thoughts to give a civil response at this time except: GET YOUR DOG SPAYED!!!!!!!!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I agree with the others, for the sake of your dog's health and all the dogs who die each year in shelters waiting for homes - please please please spay your dogs. ALL OF THEM!!!!!

From your post it sounds like you have a hard time controling your dog, how will you manage a litter? How will you find responsible homes for these dogs? How will you feel if your dog dies while birthing?

Now you're risking bringing pups in to the world that have ill tempers, how will you deal with that when you adopt out unstable dogs? How many puppies will those dogs produce???? The world has enough dogs!!!

Obviously there are several dogs running free in your area , don't add to the problem. Most people who "pay top money" for anything care for it like its worth its weight in gold!!! This dog isn't a cash cow - its a pet, treat it with some respect and spay it. if you can't be responsible - find your dog a new home where it will be cared for.

Im not even going to get started on leaving it unattended and running free....poor thing.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)

Last edited by Ford Girl; August 14th, 2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:13 PM
-

I agree with everyone......please get your dog spayed.

Here is some information for you to read:

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder3.html

And then please watch this video:

http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:40 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

One thing because I think everyone else has already said what I would have and more.
Go read some statistics about how many dogs are put down every day because they are "oh so cute" when they are babies but when they get to be adults they aren't so cute anymore. Google cruelty to animals and read some of the horror stories that are there. Best of all..... go to the closest pound/shelter/ whatever you have in your area and look at all of the dogs there waiting, crying for a new home. Then think about the fact in another week there will be a whole new group there if you go back. Why? Sure isn't because they all found loving forever homes with people who will treat them the way they should be treated. No, most of them would have ended up at the back, dead, in garbage bags, ready for the dump or incinerator.
And you want to add to this?????????????

SPAY YOUR DOGS PLEASE!!!!!! :sad:

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I don't care if she has puppies, I wanted to keep her with her breed since I paid top money for her un-LADY a$$
You clearly bought her for breeding (and have another intact female wandering around), hoping to make back your 'top money' and a tidy profit.
You get what you deserve (see puppies born dead or dying).
So the fact that you are contributing to animal suffering for your own selfish reasons doesn't bother you?
Do your dogs a favour and get them spayed. I also think you should rehome them, but that ain't gonna happen.
Old August 14th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
...I don't know if I should be worried for her or not and your help is greatly appreciated...I look forward to hearing from you!!
Yep, you should most definitely be worried for both your dogs. Hope that answers your question .
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Thumbs down thanks for nothing............

Well here's the thing, perhaps you misunderstood me, especially when I said I didn't care if she had puppies, I didn't buy her to breed her specifically for money on the contrary the only reason I would breed her is because my family and friends have been asking for puppies, each one wants one, that's all. AND because I love beagles I wanted to mate her with her own breed nothing more...I didn't get my dogs to make money off of them...and yes I did leave her in my YARD tied up in a FENCED up yard around her, my yard is fenced up with 5 ft tall fence, and like I said she never was able to get out...My family has over 50 years of owning dogs, usually bigger breeds such as dalmatians and german shepherds but I fell in love with beagles, and we never had problems with our dogs running out on us, like I said I have had my rott for several years now, and not once has she left the yard...you know I didn't say I was going to throw the puppies in a shelter I never said they would be abandoned nor anything like that everyone assumed that, nor did I state that's where they would end up...that's what I get for seeking help...I don't care if they are mutts first of all, and neither do my family and friends, they just couldn't wait till lady had puppies, I wanted them to be beagels but even if the neighbor's ratterrier puppies would have been fine as well, we just wanted puppies....and everyone has also been asking for rott puppies which I am not planning on mating my rott any time soon and like I said Princess never leaves the yard...It's not my fault the other B decided to sneak away...I don't know how she got out, but she did...Like I said her mate was with her, and he was untied, when I came back from work she was gone...How and who got her out I do not know!!! Her mate was still in the yard...Some of you are very rude...It's not my fault many people just dont give a $hit about their dogs that they let them run around and have tons of puppies...My dogs are well taken care of, unfortunately this is the second time in her 5 years of life she has done this...She had never done this before...I care about my dogs and that's why I came to this site...excuse me for being "ignorant" about breeding, as if I wanted my dog to breed with the dogs around the neighborhood...obviously like I stated before she was all ready spoken for it's not my fault she chose differently...
Obviously I will have to take her back to the vet and see what they can do for her...It's just that one of my aunts' beagles did have chow puppies like ten years ago but I think her beagle female was a little bigger than mine, but I remember meeting some of the pups her female beagle had and they weren't that much bigger than regular beagles except they had really big heads...that's why I was asking if I should be worried...
If you ask me why don't I ask my aunt, well she PASSED AWAY SEVERAL YEARS AGO SO I CAN'T ASK HER NOW CAN I!!!
Like I said thanks alot you guys are so sweet and very welcoming!!!!
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Doggie Wench

Because her first pregnancy failed, she's at an increased risk for even more serious complications the second time round. Please have her spayed asap and possibly save her life.
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I can clearly see that you don't care about your dog !!! You didn't get the message when she ran off the first time. You actually tied her so she would let the male impregnate her ? WTF ???? She could have died having the golden's pups , now again ? WTF are you waiting for to get her spayed ? You keep putting her in danger ! You don't deserve to own a dog !!!
WOW EVERYONE IS SO SWEET AND SO MATURE IN THIS FU@KIN SITE...I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE HELL I WAS THINKING COMING IN HERE...BUNCH OF FREAKING JERKS...AS IF I WANTED THE DOG TO RUN OUT...
yeah and I think you are a moron as well...as if I wanted HER to run out on me and her mate...Obviously because the male chosen for her didn't like being inside the house, and his owner's wanted pups as well!!! No really and do you think the vet's bill was cheap having them take care of her A$$? Obviously I had to take care of her like I have all her life...and you don't deserve to have an opinion...shut your mouth, quit thinking before your hurt yourself and save the ozone by not breathing!!!
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
What i am going to say is going to sound nasty but i'm thinking of your dogs well being at this point. Take your dog to the vet asap and have the puppies aborted and your female spayed. You don't know enough about breeding to even attempt it. No knowledgeable breeder would leave a female in heat chained outside by themselves where any dog that can get over the fence can get to her. A full grown chow is more than 40lbs and NO she won't be able to deliver the puppies. There are enough mutts in the humane society now looking for homes. Please get her fixed and don't add to the byb going on already.
AND WHO SAID THE PUPPIES WERE GOING TO THE HUMANE SOCIETY AGAIN?
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post
I think your dog, the universe, the situation is all trying to tell you something here:

get your dog spayed before she dies from complications of pregnancy or from wandering around un-leashed and un-attended.
YES OBVIOUSLY DONT ASK PEOPLE FOR ADVICE
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I am stunned and can't even gather my thoughts to give a civil response at this time except: GET YOUR DOG SPAYED!!!!!!!!
WOW YEAH BECAUSE YOU KNOW IT'S SO HARD TO ACTUALLY THINK THAT PEOPLE MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE CALLED UPON THESE PUPS ALL READY??? OMG!!! WHAT THE HELL WERE WE THINKING?
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
I agree with the others, for the sake of your dog's health and all the dogs who die each year in shelters waiting for homes - please please please spay your dogs. ALL OF THEM!!!!!

From your post it sounds like you have a hard time controling your dog, how will you manage a litter? How will you find responsible homes for these dogs? How will you feel if your dog dies while birthing?

Now you're risking bringing pups in to the world that have ill tempers, how will you deal with that when you adopt out unstable dogs? How many puppies will those dogs produce???? The world has enough dogs!!!

Obviously there are several dogs running free in your area , don't add to the problem. Most people who "pay top money" for anything care for it like its worth its weight in gold!!! This dog isn't a cash cow - its a pet, treat it with some respect and spay it. if you can't be responsible - find your dog a new home where it will be cared for.

Im not even going to get started on leaving it unattended and running free....poor thing.
LIKE I SAID WHO SAID THESE PUPS WERE GOING TO A SHELTER AGAIN? Well here's the thing, in my neighborhood everyone owns dogs all are purebreds, since everyone's been in that area for all their generations they know everyone and everyone's dogs...it's not difficult to understand why everyone else would let their dogs run around... I don't let mine run around, like I said the only one I let out is Princess and that's because she stays in her area to do her business and with me watching her right there and there and once she's done she is back in the house...of course they get their daily exercise outside and that's why I have a 5ft fence around my YARD!!! Right definitely I am so irresponsible that my dog has found a way out of the area to go get laid...when her mate was right there for her!!! Yes I do that definitely all the time I let my dogs run around and roaming free!!! I guess you don't know how to read!!!
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Because her first pregnancy failed, she's at an increased risk for even more serious complications the second time round. Please have her spayed asap and possibly save her life.
Well if that would have been the case then the vet that saw her would have done it the first time...
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Well if that would have been the case then the vet that saw her would have done it the first time...
Then why are you here? You asked, we answered .
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

anika - I think the point is....if eveyone you know keeps asking for puppies, tell them to look in the shelters, there are already hundreds of puppies that need homes, your pups would just add to the problem. If you sent your friends to the shelter you'd be part of the solution, not the problem. Your puppies might not end up in shelters, but while you adopt out these new pups, others die because there are not enough homes.

You also say this: "It's not my fault the other B decided to sneak away...I don't know how she got out, but she did"

It is your fault, you are the human, she is the dog, its your fault 100%.

Then you say this: "It's not my fault many people just dont give a $hit about their dogs that they let them run around and have tons of puppies..."

Isn't that exactly what you did? Let your dog run free to get preganant and have puppies? You might not have "let her" but again, you are the human, she is the dog, you have control of your dog.

You can't honestly say that you dog makes it own descions and choices in life? She wants to run in to traffic - she can? She wants T-Bone for lunch so she gets one? That doesn't make any sense.

If I had the same line of thinking my dog would attack the mail mail daily, and eat cat poop for supper. "Its not my fault she attacked the mail man!!!" "She makes her own choices."

Old August 14th, 2008, 02:52 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

lol, you came here and asked for advice, several of us gave it to you. The woman you ever so profanely told off spends her life rescuing dogs from situations just like yours, as do many of the rest of us. You told us your dog almost died the first time, hmmm can't imagine why we would be concerned. Anyone who knows anything about dogs in heat knows that a male will go to any extent to reach the female, including climbing or jumping the fence.

You sit here and tell us how much you love your dog, yet have called her a " B" seemed quite put out that in your words..had to take her to the vet to look after her a$$..yup i'm just feelin the love oozing out.

At no point did you say the pups were spoken for no matter what. What really amuses me is you were online when most of these responses were given to you, then finally logged off to come back spewing venom.

At no point has anyone called you any names or sworn at you. This is a pro spay/neuter site. And hearing about animal abuse upsets those of us with puppymill dogs in our homes trying to repair the damage backyard breeders inflict on them. If you don't like the response then don't ask the question.
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Vets don't make that choice. Owners do.

But in your case, it seems the dog should have made that choice for herself.

Honestly, it doesn't make sense saying its not your fault, and dont blame the vet either...its not his fault...jeepers...you are the owner and responsible for all decsions regardling your dog. Plain and simple.

Old August 14th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi Anika,

This is a very pro spay neuter forum. It says so in the rules though I realize nobody reads the rules.

I as an Admin here always encourage members to be polite and some of the responses in this thread are not diplomatic or welcoming. That's too bad because your reaction would likely be tamer if the posts tried harder to educate instead of blast.

In either case - this thread has run its course and will now be closed.

Thx
Marko ADMIN
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread