Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 24th, 2004, 10:06 AM

Vaccinations

Besides the laws that apply in different areas does anyone else believe that we might be over vaccinating dogs?? One article I read stated that a rabies vaccines lasts for up to 3 years and parvo up to 7. We're supposed to do these yearly and we don't vaccinate humans that much. Are the vaccines for animals that weak?
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I only have experience with cats and they do get all their shots once a year,actually I don't even know what they are for,except the rabies-shot has been changed to every two years.
Old March 24th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I definitely agree the annual vaccs are unnecessary - except for rabies every 3 years, as required by law.

AFter all, WE got vaccs as kids then never again right? I really cannot find any reason for annual vaccs for dogs, and have found lots of information against it.

I have never vaccinated my cats, except for one who went out and he did get a rabies shot. One.

Now, I would probably also vaccinate my cats against FLeV if they went outside.
Old March 24th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Ya but most vets won't tell you cause it's a big $$ maker for them charging for the visit exam and vaccine.
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:27 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Guys!!! I've been debating that issue for awhile now, its nice to know other people think it might be unnecessary. Now I won't feel so bad when I tell my vet I'm going to back off the yearly thing.
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Just a word of caution to those with Pet Insurance

While I agree that annual vacinations are likely a cause of problems in some pets, a quick word of caution to those that have pet insurance.

Many pet insurance contracts require as a condition of the policy that the animal receive annual vacinations from a vet. If your animal does not have these vacinations the insurance company may use this breach of one of their conditions to avoid coverage for a claim.

If you are considering this route, contact your insurance company to be sure of their policy conditions. Some vets perform anual screenings to see what vacinations are required. You may also want to inquire if this is satisfactory to your insurance carrier.

Michelle
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

As I said,I am not sure what I am having my cats vaccinated for,but they do spend time outside with me,only in the backyard.
We have quiet a selection of wild-life at night,coons,possums etc..I am concerned the cats might catch something from them,or other cats.
On the vacc,record it says.Panleukopenia,Rhinotracheitis,Calicivirus,Leu kemia....and Rabies of course. What are all these vaccines?
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Just a FYI...

Florida is one of the few States that require annual Rabies vaccinations. Almost all manufacturers only have a 3 year vax for rabies. We do have a problem with rabies in our state.

Many vet's are now opting to vaccinate bi annual on all other needed immuntities after the pets age of 5 years or more. (Feline/Canine) Given a good record of course.

Parvo is a biggy here. A very scary, nasty disease.
Vaccinations are a cheap insurance..
Wholesale cost to the Vet is less than a dollar. Average cost for a RV is around .83 cents.
Dhlpp...... .67 cents.
Fvrcp...... .83 cents

..and so on. The charge of course will be around $ 16.00 + or - depending on the Vet.

I do not buy from feed stores so do not even go there, I have very good reasons..

I do try to support my Vet in every way and give my business to her practice. She is NOT a not for profit company and has paid dearly for the education that keeps my Ciara ticking. I respect her for that.
Last year I bought the vaxs from her at retail & gave them myself.
Tomorrow Ciara needs a ua. ,culture & sensitivity for she is finally done with the meds and I will have my friends lab run them. My vet is fine with this. I cut corners when I can. I have the resources to do so but I am a firm believer in support and paying for the support.
Do some research on the manufacturers...like Merial, Phizer to name a few...just a suggestion. Arm yourself with knowledge.
Old March 25th, 2004, 03:09 AM

I figure the advice of the vets is best for now, they have told me in the past that the companies who make the vaccines are doing more research. I thought its only every two years because they alternate the vaccines they give? I would not let my dogs go without until the company who makes the vaccine!!
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't think anyone here would not do what is safest for their animals,but sometimes,like with your own doctor,you have to question the methods.
Some vets can spot a"sucker"at first glance and come up with all kinds of"tests"on a perfectly healthy animal,prevention is a good thing,but just as with people a good diet and exerzise works wonders on staying healthy.
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:07 AM
banned user

Ok no one yell at me ok?

I'm gonna do the vaccines because of the area we live in. i know for a fact that some dogs and a lot of cats are not given shots and I have seen them die horrible deaths.

I feel like if I don't vaccinate that I will be kicking myself if anything happens to mine.

I just want my girls to have a long and happy life...if that means supporting the vet at the same time so be it
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

amaruq no worries no one is gonna jump all over you!!

There are some vaccinations that are very long lived and long acting.

AND there is a method to determine if your dog is still carrying antibodies.

IF you want, you can ask for a blood test to be done to check for the antibodies of the different diseases which your dog has been vaccinated against. Your vet will probably look at you in disbelief that you actually KNOW about this LMAOOO. BUT it will show if your dog 'needs' the vaccine or doesn't.

Sure it will cost to have it sent to the lab BUT if your dog is already immune with antibodies then you don't have to give the vaccine again.

Old March 25th, 2004, 09:53 AM

I think the key words here are " over vaccinations ". Nobody is suggesting to stop vaccinating their dogs. That's how diseases get wiped out, by vaccinating. The problem I'm having with it, is that I would be questioning my doctor very seriously if this were my kids getting vaccinated yearly for the same thing. Because the dogs react to it, Abbey (my Rottie) was affected by her last one and I don't want to do that to her every year if its unnecessary. Getting their bloodwork tested is a great idea. The cost is probably the same and I won't have to worry about if I'm really helping my dogs or hurting them somehow.
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Amaruq,you do what you think is right for your animals and having a good relationship with your vet is very important..
My new vet,who took over my old ones practice,and I are getting there,I questioned her on teeth-cleaning going up from $150 to $320,that's a normal thing to do..
Also a complete blood-work,called a "seniors test"on a 7-yr old cat,but I had it done...
New vet,new equipment,new methods cost money and it has to be paid,hopefully for the good of the animal and not just the vets pocket-book.