Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Closed Thread

Old June 3rd, 2005, 04:30 AM

Some Help, Please!

Hi,

Our westie pup Tally will be 1 next month.
Sometime next year, my family and I are seriously thinking about buying a second westie pup, a male, to keep her company.
It is possible that we will use him as a stud dog, we aren't entirely sure yet.
What we are worried about is that Tally won't accept him. She is a rather spoilt little dog and she gets jealous when babies come to our house - would a male pup really unsettle her? Any suggestions about how to make it easier for her, and ways to reassure her?
Thanks,

Sarah
Old June 3rd, 2005, 04:38 AM
banned user

I thought you decided you weren't going to breed her? Or you're just going to breed the male?
Old June 3rd, 2005, 04:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I am assuming you regularly show your dogs and arte a registered breeder? If not, you need to find a mentor - that your westie is a champion and you will have to find another champion to breed her with. This - as you may know if you;ve done the research - is an expsnsive and detailed process, not to be taken lightly. Talk to as many people in the show circuit as possible and get their opinions and ONLY breed her if she is a champion and if the dog you find to breed her with is as well.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 04:43 AM
banned user

If you look back at all her posts CK, this issue has been gone over again and again. She decided she was not going to breed the female, but now would like a male to breed instead.
No good is going to come out of this thread either.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:14 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Beginning to seem like this.
Attached Images

Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:16 AM
banned user

Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:19 AM

No, no, you misunderstood me!
We aren't going to breed Tally with this male - it's more for the sake of company for her. We doubt thatt we're going to breed Tally, by the time we get this male she will probably be spayed. Also, we would like to get another dog because we are financially and emotionally stable for it - Tally is groomed every six weeks by a professional groomer, she gets all the attention she needs.
What I want to know is - has anybody experienced problems with bringing another dog into the house? we don't want to upset Tally at all, so we would appreciate all feedback.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:32 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talley3000
We doubt thatt we're going to breed Tally, by the time we get this male she will probably be spayed.
It's that little sentence that worries most of us who do rescue. So now, you want advice on how it will go introducing an intact male to an intact female? If you are getting these dogs from a reputable breeder, I wonder why you don't have these questions answered by them? No offense, it just gets very frustrating sometimes.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:47 AM

Its okay, I sometimes don't come across as I like to.
Tally was a puppy from a reputable breeder, who gave us all her papers. She comes from a long line of Crufts champions, yet we decided we wanted her as a family dog and not a show dog.
Tally was in the last litter that her breeder was doing, as she became ill. The couple who bred her both suffered from illness, and they have now split up, so we have no address for the woman and can not get in contact.
We are looking for a reputable breeder - Tally cost £500 so we will be buying a puppy around that region (probably higher, as Tally was sold below the cost she is worth, because the breeder had to have an operation so needed to get rid of the pups (bad, I know!)
Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:54 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I would think if Tally is bred from "Crufts Champions" then tracking her owner through the Kennel Club would be a simple task, unless of course she has let her membership lapse? Usually Breeders of such high quality dogs do not let memberships lapse. It's a suggestion at least.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 06:56 AM

Yes, we can track her owner through the kennel club I suppose - I can't remember the exact details but we registered Tally with the KC when we got her, and she is registered in mine and my mother's name. We have the phone number for her husband, so it might be easier to track her this way also. We used to write letters and send photos informing them of Tally's progress.
Back to the original subject though - do you think Tally would accept a male puppy in the house?
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:14 AM

So you might not breed your female dog but you might breed the male dog instead to another persons female dog?

I'm confused...
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:19 AM

We may not breed Tally - but we will probably use the male dog as a stud to another pedigree westie.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:23 AM
banned user

Oh now it's "we may not breed Tally", I see. Why don't you go to a breeding forum then? What exactly do you want from this site? No one here is going to give you advice about a new stud dog, or anything else related to breeding.
You said last time you wanted to continue Tally's lines, she's a great dog, yada yada... now you want to breed a stud you don't even have yet? What would be your reasoning this time?
If you don't even know how the two will get along, you shouldn't even think of breeding any dog.
Why do you keep coming here bringing up breeding in a round about way, knowing this is the response you will get, time and time again?
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:30 AM

In my opinion this topic/issue has been talked to death. This is not a breeding FAQ forum. As far as most of us are concerned, it is completely unethical for any sort of breeding of unchampioned dogs to occur.

As I recall, you are only a young teenager right? If your parents are so interested in breeding they should be taking an active interest in this and asking the questions themselves. They don't need to be internet fluent to do this--they simply need to contact a breed club, start mentoring and learn the process.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:32 AM

Sneaky2006, you are constantly attacking me and I have no explanation for it. I am politely going to ask you to keep your opinions to yourself.
I don't want to discuss anything about breeding - I was simply answering the ladies questions. I just would like to know if a 1 year old westie female will accept a young puppy into the house, or whether it will be distressing for her. I am a responsible pet owner and I just want the best for my dog. So if anybody has any insight for me, I am very grateful.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor

First off,if Tally hasn't been spayed,then I suggest you have her spayed.Second,If you decide to get a male in the next year,then I would have him neutered.To be honest,IMO there is no need to have him as a stud dog.Unless you plan on showing him to Chmpion,and having him heath and genetic tested.Many reputable breeders that I know,including mine have a s/n and a non-breeding contract.I was on a neuter contract with my boys.This meant that if I didn't have them neutered at 6 month,I would have been sued for $5000(canadian) for each dog.A non-breeding contract means you cannot breed unless the dog has been shown to breed standard.And only then can the breeder take you off it.

As for Tally excepting another,I can't see why not.Has she been socialized with other dogs?

Ok I just read that she will probably be spayed by the time the next one comes.Why wait,have it done now.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:36 AM
banned user

I am not attacking you. You just don't want to hear what I have to say, or anyone else for that matter, just like last time and the time before that.
You don't want to discuss anything about breeding, yet you came here asking a question about a new stud? Okay, well you are surely telling your age with that one. You like to get people worked up I see. There's a word for people like you, it's called a troll!
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:42 AM

Thank you Mona.
Tally used to attend puppy classes, and she was scared of the other dogs but she has grown in confidance since then.
She also has her own circle of little friends - including a westie called Rosie who she doesn't seem to have a problem with
I guess I'm just worried that she will get jealous or something, because she is the only dog in the house. And I've heard of how some dogs attack young puppies, and that would be awful.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:29 AM

Jmo

When introducing any new dog to the dog that has been the "only dog" can have it`s problems.
I don`t know for sure that your female will accept the puppy or not, but I cannot see why she wouldn`t. Just watch out for her putting the puppy in it`s place and keep a close eye on them when they are eating. Sometimes you can have a dog show food aggression when a new dog comes into the house and eats from their dish.
The breeding issue on this forum is a very sensitive one and to ask questions about it will just cause a stink. Please understand that the people on this forum are involved with rescues and watch countless animals be euthanized every day. It is heartwrenching.

If you are looking for info on breeding your westie please do some research on the net for a westie site and ask the questions there. There is no sense in starting a fight here and getting everyone upset.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:34 AM

Thank you for your reply, this is all I wanted.
I never wanted this to turn into a discussion about breeding - I know and appreciate the opinions of others.

Last edited by Talley3000; June 3rd, 2005 at 08:41 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:39 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
I never wanted this tot urn into a discussion about breeding - I know and appreciate the opinions of others.
It's refreshing to see a positive and respectful attitude from someone of your age. Your parents have raised you well. With this, you will go far in life.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:30 AM
banned user

after BMDLovers comments, I checked the age of Talley3000... I'm glad she was able to respond with respect when she got an answer to her question.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
It's refreshing to see a positive and respectful attitude from someone of your age. Your parents have raised you well. With this, you will go far in life.
I totaly agree....

And not once did she snap at anyones comments.

Your very welcome Tally.

No need to be breeding them.Just enjoy them and love them as family pets.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:05 AM

Thanks!
if I upset anyone, I truly didn't mean to.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 03:33 PM

One of the keys to having a dog accept another is to introduce them properly. I would strongly suggest that you spay your female first. Is she very territorial? You may want to introduce her to the new puppy in neutral territory. This way she won't be threatened. Also, give her plenty of attention and treats when the new puppy is in the room. This will make her feel that she is still #1 and not being replaced. It will also make her realize that good things happen to her when the puppy is in the room and may help her accept him better. If all goes well, they will most likely just play together and become friends quickly. Eventually they will establish a pecking order.

Last edited by Beaglemom; June 3rd, 2005 at 03:36 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Sometimes the dogs you think will be the most accepting of another dog are not. Even though at a socialization class they love all of the other dogs, just try having one visit on home turf and see the uproar. Our 2 very alpha male mini Dachshunds - the first at the beginning of my love affair with Dachshunds and the second at the last - both accepted all other dogs with warmth and generosity. They did not feel threatened. They did nothing to establish their authority - it was just part of their makeup. As with some people, you meet them and you know right away they are in charge and rightly so.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Also, we would like to get another dog because we are financially and emotionally stable for it - Tally is groomed every six weeks by a professional groomer, she gets all the attention she needs.
So my doggies are ripe for breeding then just because they had a bath last week? I know people who get their dogs groomed so often but neglect their dogs anyway. It's about looking good, not about taking care of a dog.

Why do you keep bringing this up? Seems like every month there is another thread from you where you bring up breeding. You know we hate it so why do you keep coming back to provoke the bunch? *****s and giggles? Nobody here will tell you how to breed and to be honest we get turned off RIGHT AWAY when you keep talking about breeding and you don't even know the basics.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:14 PM

Prin, if you read my posts PROPERLY, you would realise that I never started this thread for breeding talk. I simply asked a question, and some lovely polite people have answered them. Please don't continue to drag this out, because I am getting tired of defending myself.

END OF THREAD!
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:25 PM

Why did you bring it up then if you didn't want controversy? You know how the board feels about it. You slip it in there and pretend it doesn't mean anything.
Closed Thread