Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 24th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Regular vomiting, but no weight loss?

Hi all, we've been having a problem with our Jack Russell/ Whippet cross for the last year or so. And before I say anything, yes, we've been to the vet, who diagnosed parasites, which were treated for.

Izzy has been throwing up on a regular schedule for the last year. She'll be fine for days, then have a day where she won't eat, is lethargic and depressed, and throws up 3 times. Usually only one bout of vomiting, sometimes two. She'll then start eating again, usually that night, and will be fine until the next time.

In the beginning, we thought she wasn't eating late enough, and so was waking with an empty stomach. Treats at night helped for a while, and we still do it, but the vomiting came back a month later.

She has lost maybe 1/2 a pound over the last year, if that, so she isn't losing any weight.

When she does throw up, there's no food or anything being brought up, just white foam. She doesn't have heartworm, as of the last test in the spring, and was on Revolution for the summer.

We're feeding her a bowel-friendly food, we keep the food in the fridge until it goes in her bowl, where it doesn't stay for more than two hours until it is eaten.

Any ideas? We're not panicked, just want to know if there is anything actually wrong, or if this problem is normal. Thanks!
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:17 AM

What are you feeding her?
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:11 PM

Currently she is on Nutro Natural Choice - For sensitive skin and stomachs. It's Herring meal, rice, and potato.

She has tried 3-4 foods since the vomiting started, all in the 'sensitive stomach' category of commercially available dog foods.
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Doggie Wench

If your vet has ruled out anything medically wrong going on with Izzy, I'd be suspicious of her food.

Of the first 7 ingredients, 5 are rice. Do you have a small mom & pops pet food supply store in your area, Duckster? Something like a Global? They may be better suited to helping you choose a good food for your girl.

Here's a wonderful, educational website where you will find all sorts of information on reading pet food labels and ingredients to avoid. Click on the links on the left hand side of the page under "commercial dog food." http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Here is another useful site when comparing dog foods that have been rated. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

And the review of the brand you are feeding. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...t=1583&cat=all
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
We're feeding her a bowel-friendly food, we keep the food in the fridge until it goes in her bowl, where it doesn't stay for more than two hours until it is eaten.
The food should be brought to room temperature before feeding. Also, if you are adding any water or something else to wet the kibble please do not let it sit for more than 1/2 hour as bacteria can develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
Currently she is on Nutro Natural Choice - For sensitive skin and stomachs. It's Herring meal, rice, and potato.

She has tried 3-4 foods since the vomiting started, all in the 'sensitive stomach' category of commercially available dog foods.
Nutro has had quite a few recalls but I'm not sure if the formula you are feeding has ever been recalled. Irregardless, to be on the safe side, you should consider switching brands.

Have you tried any of the grain-free foods that are available? Orijen or Acana Provincial are great choices and both are made by Champion Pet Foods at their own manufacturing plant.
Old October 28th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, I'll try changing her food, and see if that makes a difference.
Old November 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM

Hello there I have spent alot of money on vets to figure this out and we figured out my boxer gauge would do the same thing as your dog. He has to eat every 8hrs or he will vomit white foam and bile. So we feed him at 6am 2pm and 9 or 10 pm and a snack before bed. Try this it works
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with the others, I'd try a food change if everything has been ruled out by the vet and ther's no chance the parasites have returned.

I would go with a homecooked diet while you are trying to figure this out. I would pick a single protein (lean pork often works since it's not commonly found in dog food, but some dogs do well with beef or chicken), and a single carb source (rice or potato or sweet potato or green beans or peas, etc). Probiotics might help too.
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:21 AM

So, a one-month update:

We changed her food to Acana, the prairie mix, and aside from an accidental overfeeding, we have had exactly 2 days of throwing up. One, we can't explain, the other came last night after spending the weekend at my in-laws, with my niece and nephew throwing almost their entire dinners on the floor. With a Jack/Whippet cross, she's so fast, you almost can't see her eat that food! We quickly got her out of the room, but the damage had been done. So, a little retching last night, a day of lethargy today. She has already started eating again, so that's good.

The Acana has been working really well. She eats her entire meal now, instead of grazing over a longer period of time. We have been adding a teaspoon of pro-biotic yogurt to her breakfast, and boy does she love that! Plain yogurt, with no sugar or fruit, of course.

She's even putting on some weight!

Silly24Boxer: We do feed her a little treat at night, before she goes to bed, and space her meals out so she's never without something in her stomach. Actually, that was the first thing we tried, giving her a little food at night, and it worked for about a month, then back to the regular throwing up.

Thanks everyone for the help, I'll update again if anything develops.

And of course, a picture:

Old November 29th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Cute pooch. I feed my terriers acana too. They are on the lamb right now, I am rotating the bags. Be careful of the calories, as I've learned that higher quality protein is more digestable and my two terriers put on weight. I had to cut back a little from my normal feeding amount.
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

What a wonderful update. Duckster thank you for letting us know how Izzy is doing. doing the happy dance for her... patti