Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 28th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott
As a rottweiler owner, all I can say is that I will never take my dog to a dog park.

While she has never ever shown any dog aggression, I certainly would expect her to defend herself if the need arose. I also know that no matter what the circumstances, my dog would be the one blamed for any altercations based solely on her breed.

It is my job to make sure that she is never put in a situation where she feels the need to defend herself. (She is not responsible for defending my house either.)
Exactly! Although Ciara is a Super Uber Goober and has never read the "Big Bad Rotti" book, people fear & judge her even though she has never been aggresive, (well, twice she was..when I was in danger myself)

Another reason I despise dog parks: I know Ciara's health care record. I do not know every other dog's history on health that has been in a certain area. I do not want to expose her to anything a previous animal could have left ...her immune system is already compromised.
In short...I trust no one unless "I" know their health record.
Think about it.....
Old October 28th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Unknown, I have to say you showed restraint if someone kicked my dog he would be singing soprano with the Harlem boys choir. That is totally unacceptable and I would not care if there was a cop there or not actually I would have pressed charges of animal cruelty or abuse. I can relate I have a rather large dog and of course you know they are all vicious. When was the last time you heard of any of the giant breeds attacking? My point exactly. This happened at dog hill the other day Buddy was playing with this really sweet Rottie and they were running around and bashing each other and just general playing by themselves no other dogs with them or even near them. Then a scuffle on the other side breaks out, so they stop and are looking over and I call Bud and the guy calls Tinker over and they both come over and this idiot start freaking out about the big dogs starting it. We were both standing there with our mouths open. I find it amazing how a Rottweiller and a Mastiff on the other side of the park playing can still be at fault when a fight occurs on the other side of the park. They might be big but they are by no means fast enough to run over there start the fight an run back to playing without us even seeing them do it. We made a few comments about irresponsible owners called our dogs and left.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 28th, 2004, 05:04 PM

Ahhh....dog parks again. Threads always seem to lead into a discussion about dog parks and how bad they all are. I don't take my dogs to off leash parks all the time, but I have never personally had a bad experience. Most dog parks in Calgary are pretty good and people tend to be pretty responsible, at least where I've gone.