Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
Firstly, my opinion of Brad Pattison is strictly my own,
Maybe , but there's a heck of a lot of people that share your opinion
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I'm a softy

In that video I think it is utterly absurd!!! Sit YANK then he decides he wants the dog to stand and YANK! that is NOT Juuuuuust enough pressure for the dog to know what direction he is going! YANK then the poor dog looks shocked like what did I do? Seemed like a negative punishment before the dog did anything wrong, and that is why I don't like it. punishing a dog before it does something wrong will not foster a bond and trust. Yes Rudy does everything brad says wouldn't you? But that doesn't mean he has his full love, and trust. Brad doesn't let him decide, he must preform. If we could see, once, in a field and Brad minding his own business ignoring the dog, and the dog loose and free, what Rudy would choose when not encouraged. I am sure in that situation his behavior would be different. I want my dog to love and trust me, and when we go off leash for her to choose to be with me. BIG difference.
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
In that video I think it is utterly absurd!!! Sit YANK then he decides he wants the dog to stand and YANK! that is NOT Juuuuuust enough pressure for the dog to know what direction he is going! YANK then the poor dog looks shocked like what did I do? Seemed like a negative punishment before the dog did anything wrong, and that is why I don't like it. punishing a dog before it does something wrong will not foster a bond and trust. Yes Rudy does everything brad says wouldn't you? But that doesn't mean he has his full love, and trust. Brad doesn't let him decide, he must preform. If we could see, once, in a field and Brad minding his own business ignoring the dog, and the dog loose and free, what Rudy would choose when not encouraged. I am sure in that situation his behavior would be different. I want my dog to love and trust me, and when we go off leash for her to choose to be with me. BIG difference.
I agree - I would want my dog to choose to be with me too.

It was already brought out however that Rudy is practically a permanently off-leash dog. He's rarely on-leash, and I can specifically vouch for the love and the trusting bond that Brad has created with Rudy. The little monkey adores Brad, which is evident to anyone that spends more than five minutes with them.

Not that this makes any difference, just something to keep in mind.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Maybe , but there's a heck of a lot of people that share your opinion
Yes so it seems, perhaps I should've stated that I formed my opinion of him based solely on my own perceptions, my opinion of him has not in any way been influenced by anyone else other than the man himself.

Also, I do know a couple people personally that know Brad, have taken his sessions. They have told me that there were good things and bad about their experiences. They too felt he was too harsh at times and felt a tad demeaned by him when they couldn't get something right the first time.
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post
Brad on TV is rather dangerous. People watch, people do.
That's why they are called "sheeple" because they don't seem to have any ability or willpower to research on their own and instead believe some "expert" when he/she tells them what they should be doing.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
That's why they are called "sheeple" because they don't seem to have any ability or willpower to research on their own and instead believe some "expert" when he/she tells them what they should be doing.
Very true!

I'm personally not comfortable with his methods.....before I got Chase and started doing all kinds of research I used to think "Wow he's good....look what he can get dogs to do". But now I see dogs obey him with very littlle eye contact and IMO no emotional connection. It's so different than when Chase or Kailey come over to me with tails wagging to ask "What can I do for you now?". They want to learn and work and are pleased to be doing it. Brad's dogs go through the steps, but they don't seem to have the same self-confidence.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
Very true. I think this is one of my biggest pet peeves, when someone firmly believes *one* type of training or trainer and has not done any other research into the world of training and dog behavior. I know for myself I'd never had the luck of meeting one trainer and thinking that there was no reason to do more research or educate myself further!
It's sad, because those people have NO idea what they are missing out on!

Which brings me back to Brad Pattison and his 'CETS'. As a former student of Brads, I say this with as much respect possible. I find that he instills a lot of 'my way is the only way' into his students, (and I'm all about being a firm believer in what you teach others) but in this case it is sooooo dangerous because if they haven't been formerly educated into other types of training or other thoughts on training, they actually *believe* his way IS the only way. And in the city of Calgary & Edmonton alone, I have recieved 23 clients from people that have been turned off by this attitude - not from Brad, but from his CETs who are displaying it!
One CET actually told a current client of mine, "Don't call me unless you're ready for this kind of training." and thru the duration of the phonecall was quite rude.

The client was appalled and I could not believe it, but it doesn't surprise me anymore. These people clearly don't know anything else other than what Brad tells them, and that is very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
Yes so it seems, perhaps I should've stated that I formed my opinion of him based solely on my own perceptions, my opinion of him has not in any way been influenced by anyone else other than the man himself.

Also, I do know a couple people personally that know Brad, have taken his sessions. They have told me that there were good things and bad about their experiences. They too felt he was too harsh at times and felt a tad demeaned by him when they couldn't get something right the first time.
I think this is awesome LMPG. People who don't form an opinion for themselves and follow what others believe: they're on a bandwagon too, it's just going in the other direction!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)

Last edited by Bailey_; July 18th, 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

That's the thing I don't like about 'tv trainers' they get that celebrity status and people get hooked into it and don't want to hear anything else. I was the same and then started looking around at other trainers. I don't have any one that I follow, I have books and dvd's by most of the people out there now. I take a bit from all. Even our own instructor I don't use everything he tells us and he knows I don't. He's a bit from the old school training...not excessive or I wouldn't be going to him. There's alot that he teaches us that I really like, especially how he teaches a stay. (which I really have to start doing again before our next classes start..being a slacker with that right now)

Even if I don't intend to do anything with my dog, I like proof from a trainer that they know what they're doing. I want to go to someone who has titled their dogs in at least obedience, or the very least they have done the CGC. If I want to learn agility then I go to someone who's experienced in it. You have someone claiming to be an expert in say agility but they have no titles on their dog, I'd be inclined to think....hmmm something's not working for them. Unless of course they have a dog that's just starting out. Maybe that's just me. That and someone who knows how to teach. Giving your students a bit of a push is fine but berating them for not doing something right is the fastest way to turn someone off.

The first thing I did when I found my new instructor is googled his name to find out about him. I didn't find anything negative, so I thought ok good start and lots of experience both as a judge and a trainer...agility and obedience and confirmation on his dogs. If I google Brad and Cesar for example...lots of negativity associated with their names.
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Very true Pattymac!! Glad to hear your training is going well.

Quote:
If I want to learn agility then I go to someone who's experienced in it. You have someone claiming to be an expert in say agility but they have no titles on their dog, I'd be inclined to think....hmmm something's not working for them.
I had to laugh at this because it's so true. It reminds me of a 'trainer' I often see in our dog parks in the city. He's also a dog walker, usually comes to the park with about 15-20 dogs and has NO control over them...constantly shouting and chasing them.

Now, obviously, if you're a walker you're not asked by the owners to train their dogs at the same time - but you would think you would be able to bring your knowledge to the table and instill that while walking them all. But not with this guy - pure chaos.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Pretty well except ya we really slacked off over the last few weeks!! Although, a certain dog is starting to figure out that if you actually bring the ball back to Mom and drop it, then mom throws it again!! I figured out too, that if I call her to come, she brings the ball back too...duh...ya know I thought it was pretty much an automatic thing that they just knew how to do..so we're training each other at the same time. It took me long enough to get the Chuck It to work!!
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:17 AM

Not having seen the vid, I won't comment on it. Been watching Brad for a while now. No, he's not all huggy luvvy syrupy sweet. But watch a pack of dogs in action, neither are they.
I've learned a lot from him. Then again, I've never seen him hit a dog.
Old July 19th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I strongly dislike brad pattison, with every bone in my body. Which is why i didnt comment until now.

Etown- I really hate that mentality. I dont care what a pack of dogs do honestly. Because I am not a dog. I am not going to teach my dog, as a dog. I am a HUMAN. I want to teach my dog in a HUMANE way. I , as a human, will not hit a dog (Ive seen brad do this many times, on television).

Whats the pack of dogs really have to do with it though? That would be fine, maybe Ill just let my dog run with a pack of wolves for her training? That way I dont even have to lift a finger! (Oops, just lifted my thumb..lol)

I also havent noticed a pack of dogs try to live inside of a house and learn manners. And I REALLY havent seen a dog in a pack on a leash And I DEFINATLY havent seen a dog try to teach another one to Lie down on command..
So I personally think, how A pack of dogs act and react, Are a mute point. I would expect better then that from MOST humans.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM

babymomma,
the pack of dogs comment was to point out that dogs are DOGS. Treating them as humans and expecting them to behave as humans is what causes a lot of peoples' issues with the dogs.
Dogs learn very quickly from other dogs, about what is or is not acceptable behavior. They don't coddle each other, they snap, they growl, they lunge.I treat Scruffy in a very humane way, and yes he's a bit spoiled. But if I let him ever think he's the boss in the house we are in for a hell of a battle. That's the point I see from Brad...simply that the dog can't be in charge.
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

my feelings are, if you like his ways and his show, then watch it and learn, if you don't like his show or his ways...turn it off and continue what you're doing....tout finis