Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old March 25th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Grain, Yes or No

When I switched to Raw I did a lot of reading. I mean day in and day out reading. I read pros and I read the cons and so forth.

Lately I have started reading again because I want to get away from the store bought stew that I have been feeding (because of the expense of it). I am looking for recipe that I can make at home and then freeze. As I am reading the recipes I have found on line it seems like they all have some sort of grain in them.

I was told by my breeder and the manufactures of the store bought food that that dogs don't need grain. That grain (and rice) is just used as a filler in kibble as a filler.

So, should I or shouldn't I feed grain?
Old March 25th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Swift Tribe

i dont deliberately feed grains. he gets what the kids toss on the floor but i dont ADD them.

how are you doing the raw feeding?? i dont know of any recipes i follow, just 'whole prey model' if you know what that means.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:32 PM

The pups are doing great on raw. I would switch back for anything.

The stuff I am feeding now includes;
Chicken Stew: Ground Chicken thighs, legs, breasts, necks and backs with bone, Mescaline lettus or spring mix, romaine lettuce. May contain asparagus, broccoli chichen hearts liver giblets and farm fresh eggs with shell
Beef Stew: 70% fresh ground beef muscle meat with ground beef bone (may contain chicken bone) & 20% Vegetables (asparagus, avocado bok choy, broccoli carrots, celery, collard and dandelion greens, peppers (red, green, yellow and orange) cucumbers, cauliflower, cabbage leaf and ronaine lettuce, squash, swiss chard, spinach, sweet potatoes, green beans zucchini, fresh herbs.
Turkey Stew" 70% of turkey and then the same 20% of the above veggies.

The above is quite the list and the dogs are doing really well.

An alarm just went off because all the recipe I saw on-line have some sort of grain. I guess I could just get a bunch of the above veggies, shred it all up and put it with the chicken backs that I get from the slaughter house.
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Swift Tribe

do you have to ground it up? i would feed whole meaty bones along with a few organs from various animals and call it done. whatever we feed on other than meat is sorta considered an empty food in the sense that its not depended on to contain nutrition he needs. that basically cuts out most grain products, extra fatty things like the skins from teh chickens we cook.... i feed a few veggies but its not consistent. (some days Jeffrey likes his veggies?? )

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM

We just feed the whole chicken back, not ground up. I do that because of the teeth cleaning benefits that it provides. The bones are small and soft enough that none of the little guys (and girl) have any problem with breaking it down.

So they don't really need the veggies?

Today I took some broccoli stems and grated them up and put it in with the meat. The oldest cocker just ate around it, then the shih tzu came and "vacuumed" it up.

Gizmo (the S/T) loves veggies. We had a party the other weekend and a few dropped on the floor. He scooped them up like they were the best treats ever made. Funny thing is, he doesn't really like treats that much. I think he is a off some times. What dog doesn't like treats.

Oh that reminds me - Side Note: for treats I cook up some skinless chicken breast and then cut them up into little bits and freeze it. They totally love it.
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Swift Tribe

nope! no veggies needed if you feed organ meats. we loosely follow the 75-85% muscle meat (includes heart and gizzards and tongue, egg), 5% misc organ, 5% liver and 10-15% bone. he also gets a good variety of other stuff but i dont consider that actually part of his diet.

there are things to accommodate for when you have children in the house. for example Jeffrey dumped probably a full cup of cheerios on the floor. Mister ate the whole thing. because its fortified we skipped the liver he was slated to have that night, postponed it for 2 days and skipped dinner. he had a handful of Evo in the morning and then his regular meaty bone dinner that evening.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09