Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old March 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Raw salmon OK?

I bought a small frozen salmon for the boys, how do I feed it. Can they have it raw? Do I take out all the bones? Of course, they may refuse it raw, in which case I'll bake it for a few minutes.
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:29 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yummy!! The boys will appreciate that.
I give my gang fish all the time, bones and all. So far there haven't been any problems. I figure they used to eat mice their mommies brought them. It can't be that different. And usually just the smell of the fish is enough to get them all humming. Not purring, humming.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:40 PM
-

Is it Atlantic coast or Pacific coast salmon?
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:18 AM
-

If it is Pacific coast salmon do not feed it raw...

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/salmon.aspx
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor

although it does say only dogs are susceptible. Still risky?
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Strange thing is, the best salmon is supposedly the Pacific when you buy it for human consumption, because it's rarely if ever farmed fish; whereas the Atlantic salmon usually is.

But then, how often does it say where the poor fish originated from in the first place? I'm still looking for a place that'll tell me!

Cats and dogs here eat any fish, raw or cooked; same with chicken, beef, you name it! No one's been sick for as much as a day.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

B.C. is swarming with fish farms! I don't eat fish but have heard that it is inferior to the wild variety. This one is labelled 'wild', so at least it hasn't been treated with antibiotics and generally manipulated for our dining 'pleasure'.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

For a treat or supplemental feeding, the salmon (however it's prepared) should be fine, I just wouldn't feed it too frequently. There's an interesting article here on the fish and cats.

Quote:
Supplementation could provide for correct amounts of Calcium within the right ratio with Phosphorus, and could bring levels of vitamins - such as vitamin A, D, E, and complex B, to optimal levels. However, fish meat seems to contain insufficient amounts of the trace minerals iron, zinc, copper, and manganese, making fish meat in the end an unsuitable choice as a base for a staple feline diet, because it would require unreasonable supplementation. .....

Fish, no matter if whole, dressed, raw, cooked, or canned will cause nutritional deficiency of some kind, which in turn will eventually lead to serious disease. If fish is to be included in the meal plan of the domestic cat, one may only do so sparingly as treats, or to entice a sick cat to eat. Other than that, the story of fish and cats shall remain a fairytale.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Interesting. Thanks alot. I never give them tuna in any form but they do eat salmon cat food (canned) regularly. Would this also be a no-no? They eat good quality kibble as well.

Re-reading, I think I will at least cut back and make it a true treat.

Last edited by badger; March 22nd, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
although it does say only dogs are susceptible. Still risky?
Eeeeeps....my brain is usually stuck in dog mode. You are right, badger, it does not affect cats. I wonder why though?

Quote:
“Salmon poisoning occurs most commonly west of the Cascade mountain range,” says Dr. Bill Foreyt, a veterinary parasitologist at Washington State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. He adds, “Canids (dogs) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. That’s why cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly with out consequence.”

Generally clinical signs appear within six days of a dog eating an infected fish.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAH View Post
Strange thing is, the best salmon is supposedly the Pacific when you buy it for human consumption, because it's rarely if ever farmed fish; whereas the Atlantic salmon usually is.

But then, how often does it say where the poor fish originated from in the first place? I'm still looking for a place that'll tell me!

Cats and dogs here eat any fish, raw or cooked; same with chicken, beef, you name it! No one's been sick for as much as a day.
Sarah, here in B.C., it is usually stated on the packaging if it is wild or farmed. If it isn't I ask and if the store doesn't know then I don't buy it.

I wouldn't take the chance of feeding the Pacific wild salmon to your dogs raw though. Did you read the website I posted?

Quote:
B.C. is swarming with fish farms! I don't eat fish but have heard that it is inferior to the wild variety. This one is labelled 'wild', so at least it hasn't been treated with antibiotics and generally manipulated for our dining 'pleasure'.
Yes, B.C. is swarming with fish farms and it's the governments fault. And, it's the fish farms that are causing all the problems with the wild species.

http://savebcsalmon.ca/what.html

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...sh-061002.html

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...e.html?ref=rss
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The thing with farm fish is that they often get antibiotics and stuff, are more illness prone, because of thir very close proximity to eachother.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAH View Post
The thing with farm fish is that they often get antibiotics and stuff, are more illness prone, because of thir very close proximity to eachother.
HA HA....we posted at the same time. But, I will repeat....it's the fish farms that are causing all the problems with the wild species.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Great minds think alike Rainbow or as my mom says ... les grands esprits se croisent, comme les anes a la barriere (great minds meet, like donkeys at a fence) doesn't sound quite as glamorous
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
-

I like the English saying better.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Thought you might
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
-

But, not because I'm English....cuz I don't look at us as donkeys. Btw, I do have 1/4 French in me.