Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 17th, 2011, 07:55 PM

keeping my dog off the couch!?

How do I keep my dog off the couch....for good??!!!
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

remove the couch?

Diane
Old November 17th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor

sorry, my first thought to this problem was.....whyyyy?

I do not have any advice for you at this time I am sure that someone will be by that can assist you.

Welcome to pets. patti
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Senior Contributor

When my dog was young he went through a stage where he believed a loveseat was his proper place and I disagreed.

When I caught him I dumped him off unceremoniously. When I left the house I placed objects on the loveseat to prevent him getting on it. And then my sister gave him Mr. Toothy Moose. It's a long stuffy thing with a smiling moose head that shows lots of teeth. My big, brave dog was afraid of it. LOL Perfect! Mr. Toothy Moose took up residence on the loveseat, positioned so he was grinning his toothy grin at any who approached. Worked.
Old November 18th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd try either putting items on the sofa or tinfoil. If the dog gets on the couch while you're there, calmly go over and take him by the collar and remove him - give him a command (off) and then reward him either with a treat or a good play when he gets down. Consistency will be required to get the idea into his head that this is not his place. If he argues with you, you may want to attach a leash to him so you can pull him with the leash rather than placing your hand on his collar where he may try to nip you.
Old December 27th, 2011, 09:42 PM

Push them off. They wont get hurt (as long as you push them off forward, and not side ways or unexpected) but it will insult your dog. Like 'why is she pushing me off MY couch' and trust me, a couple times and he'll stop trying to get on, being so insulted.

Say "OFF" when you do it, and they will associate the word with what is happening -them getting off the couch- and eventually you wont even have to touch them, they will get off.

My Sparky is 4 years old (Dec 7th 2007), pure bred Pomeranian from a bad past. Got him when he was too young -found out later-. He has a laundry list of medical problems, but we're working to get him in tip-top shape!

He truly is my fur baby.
Old January 1st, 2012, 05:42 PM

Ditto the above responses. Dog will learn not to get on the couch when you aren't around, but unless you put something on it will probably do it if you are not in the room.
The "Dogs don't generalize well" rule does come into effect in a good way sometimes. At MY house dogs are allowed on couch (who am I kidding..they lie on ME) which is totally fine with me since they are small dogs and I like to have my hordes all snuggled in around me. It also helps because then I have a good excuse not to have to answer the phone..but i digress...when I go to my friend's house - her dogs are not allowed on the couch and my dogs are not allowed on the couch there. They have come to respect that rule fairly quickly. Funnily enough, when her Golden came over, she took one look at my couch and promptly hopped on for a nap.
Old January 1st, 2012, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by violagirl View Post
Ditto the above responses. Dog will learn not to get on the couch when you aren't around, but unless you put something on it will probably do it if you are not in the room.
The "Dogs don't generalize well" rule does come into effect in a good way sometimes. At MY house dogs are allowed on couch (who am I kidding..they lie on ME) which is totally fine with me since they are small dogs and I like to have my hordes all snuggled in around me. It also helps because then I have a good excuse not to have to answer the phone..but i digress...when I go to my friend's house - her dogs are not allowed on the couch and my dogs are not allowed on the couch there. They have come to respect that rule fairly quickly. Funnily enough, when her Golden came over, she took one look at my couch and promptly hopped on for a nap.
LOL, I made mistake one time with my last girl. As she got older I allowed her on the chesterfield but she always asked first, if she could come up with me. I left her with my sister one evening and Sis complained that Jet kept looking at her and saying huf, huf huf, while Sis sat on her chesterfield reading a book. I forgot to tell Sis that she was to either OK coming up or say FEET on the FLOOR. Poor little Jet kept asking and not getting an answer.