Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:18 PM

Cat Diarrhea: Please help!

I am so happy to be part of this great website! This is my first time posting and I urgently need some help for my 5-6 year old male cat, Hooligan. He was a stray, so I am not 100% sure how old he is. Alright, here we go...

Hooligan has been on a grain-free, wet food diet for about 2 months now. He eats about 2/3 of a can a day. Last time weighed (last week), he was 8.8 pounds. The problems started about 2 weeks ago. Around November 7th-8th, he had diarrhea - 5 days later, as he continued to have diarrhea, we brought him to the vet. We raw blood tests, x-rays and ultrasounds. Everything from his blood tests was perfectly normal except his BASO - which was very high, at 17.1%. The vet said it was probably cause his intestines were inflamed and she described them as being "asleep". She was suspicious of a obstruction - so was took an ultrasound just to be sure. Thankfully, there was so obstruction. They assumed he had IBD (without a colonoscopy test) and told me he should be on a very strict Hyperallergenic food (which I will not give him because I don't believe my cat should be eating a soy-based kibble). They didn't agree with my wet food/raw food approach.

That being said, they gave him a dewormer (assuming he has worms) and an antibiotic called Metronidzole. I began giving him that medication, along with some slippery elm and probiotics, on November 13th (the day I brought him to the vet). After giving him his medication, he became very constipated. His stomach was swollen. On Saturday (November 17th) I decided to stop giving him the medication and see what would happen - because he was eating, just not popping. So, I stopped giving him the Metronidzole. I gave him slippery elm, pumpkin and some antibiotics (with some vaseline at night). The next day, he popped! It was nuggets and small and dark but he popped solid. Which was such a relief! So I continued giving him the slippery elm and probiotics with his food.

Now the weird stuff begins, again. Last night (November 20th), he popped solid followed by diarrhea. Although in the litter box (I can't be 100% sure), but it seemed a little mucus-y and not sure if it was bloody or not. When I got back home today, there was diarrhea again in his litterbox.

I am not exactly sure what to do as of now. I don't know whether I should feed him his food, feed him just some pumpkin or feed him only tomorrow mornin (or night). I really need some help.

Thanks,
Melissa