Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 1st, 2008, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Would I be doing them any good by taking them to a rescue?

:sad: Somebody got a free kitten sign up a few house away from me. And now suddenly, there are 3 kittens living outside of my house I noticed them last night but i figured they belonged to somebody and they'd go home soon. They are still out around my shed! I dont know if they are feral, or if they belong to the people down the road from me(I assume they are kittens they couldnt find homes for and they dumped outside They've done it before) Unfortunatly, I cannot take them in and find them loving homes myself. Mom wouldnt let me take them long term to find them homes, but she will allow me to keep them for a few days/ week until i catch them all. But Would It even help them if i bring them to a shelter? (A No kill shleter of course) I dont really know because the shelters around here turn ALOT of wonderful people down for adoption ( me and My family included) And im afraid that they won't find homes for a LONG time because of this (there is kittens on the websites that have been there for months and months and months, just because they are so picky(Seriously, they would probably turn you down if you dont use the kind of litterbox they want you to use i am dead serious about that!) I really wanan keep them and find homes for them :sad:

I dont have cat food, But they seem to have liked keelys dog food..lol

14+- Im going to need advice on How to catch them! Wish i was allowed to be a kitty angel like you:sad:
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old September 1st, 2008, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

At least in a shelter, they'd be fed and not at the mercy of predators (animal and human), so yes, take them to the shelter. In fact, the rescue might be useful to you right now, gathering the kittens up and taking them to safety, so why don't you call them? They may even have a humane trap which in my opinion would be the best way to go, kittens are so vulnerable, the sooner you scoop them up the better.
Yes, rescues can be a pain, with all their 'rules', but it's generally in the best interest of the animals. They can often sense when people are not serious and will dump the cat as soon as it's a burden.
Good luck, and thanks for caring.
Old September 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I was going to take them in regardless. Im sure once they came into our house mom wouldnt be able to Say no to them..lol.. But I just wanted to know if the shelter should really be my first option.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

A live trap, tuna or sardines, and a safe, warm place to keep them and you are set to go. Badger is right. The shelter may have one you can borrow. They may even come out and trap them for you. If they are like the shelters around here they are filled to capacity and more with cats/kittens. It is so sad. :sad: I hope they will take them in. Or that you will be able to keep them and find homes for them with people who are serious about looking after them past the "cute" stage.
If they belong to the people down the road they may be ok around people. It is so frustrating when s do that! You could try some tuna in your hand and see if they will come near. If you have Keely's carrier nearby so you can put them in as you catch them that would be perfect. The most important thing is to remain calm. Cats can sense feelings, as weird as that sounds. If you are too excited they will sense that and stay away. Just calmly approach. The live trap is the next best thing if they aren't tame.
FYI - dog food is not good for cats. It does not have the necessary nutrients in it cats/kittens need.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

thanks 14+ I will get some cat food. I just gave them dog food to make sure they didnt feel hungry. Mom is picking up some high quility food on her way home from work hope i can catch them
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

well, these little ones have definatly made a 'Home' of my back yard! Which i am glad about! (Easier to catch the little Angels).. Unfortunatly we could get any high quility food today. Mom picked up Whiskas We will get better food when we get the little buggers!.. Saw them again tonight! Going to try to catch them tomorrow

Thanks Badger for your help!! I'll defiantly need some more advice from You and 14+ on how to raise cats! lol
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What time are you planning on trying to catch them? It may be an idea not to feed them before you try. That way they will be good and hungry and will come to you faster or will go into the trap/carrier quicker.
Good Luck! Keep us informed!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

id say I'll be out around 5-5:30 am. And then if i cant get them i will try later in the night!

thanks for the advice 14+!!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:44 PM
150% PRO S/N

That's what we're here for kiddo!!

Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Ughhh, no luck! white kitty got really close to me,he came up to me so i could pet him,hes obviously very brave, the others wouldnt get close to me at all. But when i went to pick him up, i had to say bye bye to kitty:sad: It spooked him to much, so he ran away Ugh better luck next time I guess!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Kitty pimp

is ok it may take a few days or a week or so but eventually they will get used to you
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
150% PRO S/N

This could very well be something that will take a while, like Jim said. If you are opting to try catching them by taming first and then putting them in a carrier then you are looking at a week to month. If you opt for the trap then I would think you would have them all by the end of this week.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
banned user

I will give you traps. You can keep them, we have no use for them anymore:sad: I pmd you my number. I dont know what part of NFLDD you are in but im sure we can work something out!
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!! I will be calling within the next hour or so!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry i havent updated!

Sorry i havent updated, i was hoping for soem good news before i did:sad: But, I havent seen the kittins since sept. 4th Im terrified of what could have happened .. I cant even type anything more, im get all teary Eyed.. I feel i should have done more Poor things.. i hope tyhey turn up soon.. Ive left tuna and cat food out for them and everything, but no kitties
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:15 PM
150% PRO S/N

Is it possible that the kittens have been taken back to the neighbours? You did say ou thought that they belonged to the people up the street. Have you checked there yet?
I'm sorry hon. You will find when you do stuff like this that sometimes it just breaks your heart.