Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 1st, 2006, 01:11 PM

Unhappy Poor doggie has swollen rump or butt hip area???

Hello there,

My dog seems to have swollen hips or something. It is on top of his butt area. it seems to be on either side of his back back area. It feels like maybe the left side is larger then the right. Is this anything special? Do you think it could be arthritis or are there nodes in that area? Kidney Liver ??? It seems like it is a little harder to jump into the car for him and he walks slightly as if his butt was rounded up or sticking up into the air a bit.
Thank you for any suggestions you may have!
Vicki

I included a photo of the area.
thanks again i am worried about him
10 year old shep husky wolf mix just got over lymphoma...had spindell cell in rear paw...has had lymes disease several times
Attached Images

Last edited by phaila; January 1st, 2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old January 1st, 2006, 06:45 PM
Senior Contributor

It "could" possibly be arthritis.

I would have the vet take a look...X-rays may be in order for this.

Is her showing any pain?Does he have a reaction it he's touched there?
Old January 1st, 2006, 10:57 PM

Hi Mona
Thaks..I will as soon as I can get an appointment. I was just hoping in the meantime there amy be someone who kows what could possibly get swollen or inflammed in that area. I hate when my poor baby isnt able to jump and run like he usually does. I am just worried that it may be lymphoma manifesting in a new spot. His nodes are all gone everywhere that he initally had them. I was hoping to find out if anyone else has ever had a dog get lumps or swollen areas on their rumps. Or is it just something that happens with older age??
Thank you!
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:48 AM

Older dogs get lumpy, but every lump still should be checked to be sure it's a "good lump". Sounds like inflammation, probably due to arthritis. Be warned though- your vet will tell you to put her on a diet and next time if she hasn't lost any weight, you'll probably get yelled at... (happened to my with my yellow lab with arthritis).

(Just so you know, if somebody were to post my love handles on the internet and CIRCLE them, too, I would be devastated! )
Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Your very welcome.......

Prin is right though.Every lump shpuld be checked.

She is also right about the weight statement.It's harder for a dog who is slightly overweight and has arthritis.At times this can lead to the HD.
My first GSD had Rhumatoid Arthritis.Mind you he never had ant lump or bumps.What happened to him is he lost all his muscle mass in his back legs due to this.He was at a good weight though.He was with me till he was 13.

My current GSD(9 years old) has some arthritis.Again,no lumps or bumps.But he is doing great since I have had him on K9 MX...And his weight is perfect...I make sure of that.

Please let us know how he makes out at the vets....

Your boy seems to have been through alot....Poor baby.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 11:26 AM

thanks again
well the weight thing 100% is not a factor. wish it was, that would be easy to fix. he actually is one of those kinds of dogs that only eats for fuel. his food sits in his bowl until he feels a need for it 1 time a day then he is set....he has been the same exact weight for 9 years. the only time his weight changed was when he lost 10 pds during lymes disease. other then that he has been annoyingly perfect as far as weight is concerned. his mommy (ME) on the other hand doesnt seem to be as lucky . seriously in 9 years his weight has remained within 1/2 a pound of the same weight. he just has the most perfect metabolism. even during chemo his weight was perfect...one time it went DOWN 1 pound but he had been dehydrated.
what stinks is that if he is getting BAD arthritis we live up 40 steps from the road...then 20 steps to the second floor and my truck it a big jump for him to get into ...poor baby wont be able to avoid climbs :-(
i am just worried it is some kind of cancer again...i mean he has had 2 different kinds last year alone! why cant he just get a little break
vicki

now my white shepherd...that is another story WHAT A PIG! she eats lint she is such a pig. i have never seen a dog so hungry, all the time, in my whole life. she lives at the base of her bowl...hoping food will magically appear in it. she is a hearty 115. trying to get her to lose weight has been so hard. she is on diet food and has been for 1 year...hasnt lost anything. i think it all started before we got her...she was kept in a crate all day until her owners got home from work. mind you it was a crate she could only stand up in...not jump turn around or anything. when they gave her to us they were all "do you want the crate" i was like "HELL NO!" i truly dont believe in crates and that was a good example why. anyhow, i think that started her off on just sitting for 8 hours a day no exercise for her first year ...poor baby. now she gets all the exercise she could want but her metabolism is messed up thanks to her first loser owners
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:47 AM

Poor doggie has swollen rump or butt hip area???

Hi phaila

My male springer Alfie has swollen areas the same as your shep.

What was the outcome with your dog?

I am wondering if I should take Alfie to the vets (trying to avoid extortionate fees)

Thanks
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie6668 View Post
Hi phaila

My male springer Alfie has swollen areas the same as your shep.

What was the outcome with your dog?

I am wondering if I should take Alfie to the vets (trying to avoid extortionate fees)

Thanks
Debbie, this is a very old thread. I have not seen a post from this OP for a long time. It may be costly, and even better it may be costly for nothing, but any lumps or bumps suddenly appearing should be seen to by your Vet.