Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 26th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Cat Constipation - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

My kitty is constipated I noticed it last night, I tried to start giving her some hard food again, and I suspect that this is the cause because she has been completely fine for the nearly 2 months.

I'm currently mixing pumpkin into her food, and trying carefully to give her mineral oil. She is pooping but they are really small little balls. Other than the constipation she is still playfull, and eating as much as she normally does.

I was hoping that it would clear up by this morning but it hasn't, is there anything else that I can give her, i.e senna tea to help move things along?
Old April 26th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Many cats don't drink enough water, and that, combined with eating dry food can cause this problem.

I would put her back on canned food if she does well on that. You don't want this problem to go on, because many cats will avoid the litterbox if they experience discomfort or pain while using it.
Old April 26th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Hi! I did put her back on the canned food, but so far no improvements, at least as of this morning.

Is senna tea safe for cats? What about Aloe vera??
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Constipated cat

Constipation in cats can be minor or major: poor or abolished peristalsis can be severe in certain individuals and are difficult to treat.

Surgery/peristaltic agonist medications/dietary Rx are all used to establish normal or semi-normal outflow. Minor cases can be treated with stool softners and laxatives while under medical supervision. I have even used cow's milk to cause a low grade loose stool in some minor cases (some animals become lactose intolerant and this can cause bloating/cramping so be careful).

The pumpkin is a vey good stool softner, also. Have your veterinarian obtain some lactulose for you, it is a sweet, thick and sticky liquid and should help. Also discuss dietary changes that may help. My recommendations are too generic to help the individual case.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490