Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 4th, 2008, 10:44 AM

please enlighten me!

my dog just passed away last week and i've since been brooding over this question repeatedly after his death. he is a cavalier king charles spaniel and he had been diagnosed with heart problems and diabetes since he was admitted to the vet.
we went to see him for the last time and he was motionless when we stepped into the room. but the question that has been lingering on my mind was why did he sticked out his tongue and his eyes were not completely close when he passed on? could anyone who has general knowledge of this please enlighten me please? i wasn't very sure of the cause of his death but in general, the vet said that my dog was gasping for breathe due to his heart problems and no immediate attention was given at the point in time. he fainted after that and emergency treatment was given thereafter.
i wasn't very convinced about what the vet has said and was wondering upon the many questions on why did my dog just passed on so suddenly?and the sight of his tongue sticking out and eyes not completely close makes me think that he didn't pass on peacefully, and could something happened before he passed away in the hospital?
can the dog lovers/kind souls please enlighten me on the questions above,thank you!

alright,it's really a painful lost for my whole family. i cannot stop my tears from rolling down my cheeks upon flashing back to all that has happened, anw we'e found him a good place at the columbarium and my whole family really hope that he is now at a better place
thank you so much for the time and effort in enlightening me!

Last edited by Ford; September 4th, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM

please enlighten me!

my dog just passed away last week and i've since been brooding over this question repeatedly after his death. he is a cavalier king charles spaniel and he had been diagnosed with heart problems and diabetes since he was admitted to the vet.
we went to see him for the last time and he was motionless when we stepped into the room. but the question that has been lingering on my mind was why did he sticked out his tongue and his eyes were not completely close when he passed on? could anyone who has general knowledge of this please enlighten me please? i wasn't very sure of the cause of his death but in general, the vet said that my dog was gasping for breathe due to his heart problems and no immediate attention was given at the point in time. he fainted after that and emergency treatment was given thereafter.
i wasn't very convinced about what the vet has said and was wondering upon the many questions on why did my dog just passed on so suddenly?and the sight of his tongue sticking out and eyes not completely close makes me think that he didn't pass on peacefully, and could something happened before he passed away in the hospital?
can the dog lovers/kind souls please enlighten me on the questions above,thank you!
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:54 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Nigel7 very sorry to hear about your loss. It is very possible that your pups heart just gave out finally. As for the eyes not being quite closed, it is quite normal. Not all humans eyes close when they pass away too. Just happens to be the position his tongue and eyes were in when he finally let go.

little one, run free of your pain.
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Geek Club CEO

Sorry to hear about the loss of your pet

I have seen dozens of very peaceful, painless euthanasias and it is very very common to see the animal's tongue sticking out, or the eyes only partially closed afterwards. It does not mean that the animal was in distress or pain at the time of passing, the muscles that control the eyes and tongue are simply not working anymore.

Sadly, some conditions can become very critical very quickly, and death can come unexpectedly despite everyone's best efforts.

Again, sorry for your loss and I hope that puts your mind at ease a bit.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Geek Club CEO

I just saw the same question posted in the food section.
HEre is my reply:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....628#post651628

again, sorry for your loss.

Take some time to share your grief here if you like, perhaps posting in the Rainbow Bridge section would be most appropriate?
http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:59 AM

we tried out best to do all we could to save him and tragidically it wasn't the case anymore
he was more than just a mere pet dog to us,he was like one of us. when he was around, he was spoon-feed like an baby because my mom was afraid
that he may go hungry and he wasn't always very keen when he sees food.
we went to the hospital everyday, and even tried calling the vet twice/thrice a day to find out how my dog was doing and his condition because we knew he was in a critical condition with diabetes and health problems surfacing within such a short period of time
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Geek Club CEO

It sounds like you did everything you could for him, try not to be hard on yourself
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:08 PM

nigel7, I am very sorry for your loss.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have moved the original thread to the appropriate forum, and merged the previous thread with this one, which is why it looks a little disjointed.

Again, sorry for your loss, nigel7
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Location: I am from Glasgow, Scotland, but now live on the West Coast of Scotland.
Aw sorry to hear of your sad loss. It is always hard to lose a dearly beloved pet and I am sure he will always be with you. May he Run Free at the Bridge, bless him. Rest in Peace little one.

It is quite common for both humans and animals to pass on with their eyes open.

Take care.
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:35 PM

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, it is never easy

When my Harley was put to sleep last August, I was with him and he also had his eyes opened and his tongue was out, it was, and still is, very painful to think about it. He wasn't in any pain at that point, it was just the way he was laying when he went to sleep.

Try and remember the good times you had with your doggie.....

sweet boy

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.