Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Formerly hgd24

vet refused order from 1800petmeds

Our new vet refused to allow me to order Heartguard from 1800petmeds. They would let me pick up a handwritten script from their office to send to 1800petmeds, but for liability reasons, they would not send it in directly themselves.

When I called the vets office I was told that 1800petmeds has lost accredidation from many states for giving out meds that are not up the quality that the vet's office gets. Is this true or something the vet is telling me to get me to order from their office? The vet's price was the same as 1800petmeds original price. I was getting it on sale and had an additional 10% discount with 1800petmeds.

I wouldn't want to put my dog's health in jeopardy for a few dollars....

Last edited by hdme; September 2nd, 2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
-

You need a paper from your vet to order heartworms online ?

I order mine from vetproductsdirect.com (Australia) I don't need a prescription (but I think if you're american , you do ) A lot cheaper and I already compared the Heartguard box with one that I got from the vet and it was the same thing for almost 50% less !!!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Formerly hgd24

The boxes that we've received in the past from the vet had the prescription label on them just as any other prescription medication would have so I assume that here in America, heartworm meds are considered a prescription med. The meds are only $5 cheaper through 1800petmeds, but it would save us a few dollars and a trip to the vets office, which is somewhat out of the way for us. If the meds aren't to be trusted though, we would definitely order through our vet.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
chronically insane.

I've heard lots of bad things about 1800pet meds from my vets office as well. They have posters about the dangers of ordering pet medications online in every one of their exam rooms. Why? No clue.

Why do you need a script to get a heartworm preventative? I thought that was just something you can buy OTC. Huh, guess I really haven't had a dog in a long time if it's changed.

I use petcarerx.com for stuff and they send you ALOT of spam emails if you don't opt-out but I like them. I only buy non-script stuff though.

I don't see any reason not to buy stuff online

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Senior Contributor

My husband wanted me to order Cooper's heartworm meds from 1-800 pet meds. I've been resisting just because I don't know anyone who has done it.

Our vet is not the kind to overcharge. He's an old fashioned country vet whose office is in his basement and he has two big goldens in the middle of the floor. They're his office staff !!

If it's only a savings of 5 dollars I'd rather drive directly to the vet. Not worth the hassle to me if it's not a big savings.
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM

I don't trust medications sent through the mail. Some of it may have expiry dates changed, or their quality is not good. It could harm your pet. Your vet buys the best quality and this is where your medictions for your pets should be supplied by. You want to have a good rapor with you vet since it's your pet's vet. Saving a few $ is not worth it and it disrupts their routine. Never done it by mail. Even for people this could be a very dangerous practice.