Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 17th, 2004, 07:06 PM

kitten just fixed... help!

i got a kitten from the SPCA about 3 1/2 weeks ago. he was 5 weeks old at the time and they said he didnt weigh enough to get fixed, so they scheduled an appointment to get him fixed on the 13th of august (at 2 months of age). now that ive got him back, i just discovered that the incision area on his rear end is starting to have puss come out. im going to take him to the vet tomorrow... bc its closed right now. but im really worried and if anyone knows if this is normal please let me know!!! thanks
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

Kitten just fixed

Hi there. You are wise to return to the vet tomorrow. Rule of thumb is that after any surgery, if there is any sort of fluid or pus coming from an incision, it should be checked out by the doctor asap. I would not put any ointment on the wound, especially human preparations, as the kitten may try to lick it off, and it may not be good for him. You can try to take a soft sterile gauze and pat it with a bit of hydrogen peroxide to kill any surface infection, as that is pretty safe and doesn't sting. everyone thinks it does, but it really feels nice and bubbly, (that's it doing its' job by killing germs etc.).Don't rub the area! Just ever-so gently blot it dry after you apply peroxide, if you are brave enough to try this.
Just so you know, I worked for a vet for 5 years, so I am not just blowin' in the wind here.

Good luck! Lezzerpezzer
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:18 PM

thanks so much i will do just that! also.... people told me its wrong to have a cat fixed before 3 months.. but this is the SPCA.. so i trust them, but i still feel as if he was too young to get the surgery.. is there a certain age they're supposed to be or is it just a certain weight?
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:29 PM

kitten just fixed

You are welcome. I think that the age is a bit young but not unheard of. I think a more common age would be around 4 to 6 months of age or older. I am thinking that you may want to keep an eye on your kitten tonight, just to make sure he is okay otherwise. I figure you won't get a wink of sleep anyway! They really are just like little kids, eh?

When you get to the vet, he will likely take his temperature first thing to make sure he isn't running a wee bit of a fever, (side effect of infection, if there is one). Don't worry. If the cat seems frisky and is eating and drinking and bopping around, it's likely just a wee drainage. Try to get some shut eye and keep the little fella near ya. It's good if he sleeps too!
Let me know how it goes!

Lezzerpezzer
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Agree with the advice you have been given except for one thing:

Do NOT put full strength hydrogen peroxide on the wound! HP destroys tissue.

Pus is a sign of infection, and I wouldn't do anything until you see the vet tomorrow.
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:48 PM

kitten just fixed

Yes, a diluted solution would be better. Thanks for the imput on that one. We don't want to hurt the little guy, just make him better. Lezzerpezzer