Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old May 13th, 2008, 10:44 PM

Ok, we're sorta starting raw...

I've had it - almost $15,000 worth of vet bills for a 20 month old dog, and we still have no diagnosis and still intermittent vomiting. So, I went today and spoke to some very knowledgeable people about diet. Tommy is sooooooooooo much better than he was, but we're still on the vomit cycle, a few weeks good and then a few days of vomit and that simply cannot be healthy for him long term. Antacids haven't stopped it, they simply cut it back a bit, and I'm tired of seeing my dog be queasy all the time. Since medicine isn't working we're exploring diet alternatives a bit more.

They gave me a couple of sample raw medallions to try (along with a ton of literature, and massive amounts of support!). I've got slippery elm, too, and we'll be continuing his digestive enzymes and probiotics.

The hardest part is going to be getting him to eat it, but once we leap that hurdle is there anything I should be looking out for? Any advice? I figured the medallions were the easiest way to go, if it turns out that raw is better for him then we'll have to look at making it ourselves since I can't justify spending that much money for what amounts to pureed groceries, lol. But it's an easy way to start.

Is there really a 'detox' period like they warned me about? If so, at what point should I start to worry that it's not detox but just not agreeing with him?

that this is maybe part of the solution... because it just breaks my heart to see him smack his lips all night and puke daily like he has this week. He's fine, he's healthier than he ever has been, and he's not losing weight - but I can't sit back and let him be like this for the next 15 years or so without trying something else!
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
from In The Raw Pet Food my raw food store http://www.intherawpetfood.com/what+to+expect.html

What can you expect during the switch & for the first few weeks & months.

SOME, NOT ALL pets can experience *NUTRITIONAL DETOXIFICATION*. Detox happens when the nutrients going into the body are of vastly superior quality than what was previously being fed. The body is literally throwing out the built up poisons and toxins to make way for healthy new tissue. Don’t worry, all is well the body is curing or healing itself. Sometimes there can also be levels of detoxification depending on the overall state of your pet’s immune system when they began on the raw diet. You could notice a few signs and then none and then a few weeks or months later you could see other signs or symptoms. Learn to really” look” at and analyze your pet, some signs can be subtle. Some people keep a journal or diary.

*Some signs of detoxification:
*Runny/weepy eyes
*Itchy skin
*Excess waxy build up in the ears
*Oily coat
*Loose or mucous stools
*Dandruff
*Sausage like casing on the stools
*Body Odor
*Flatulence
*Cysts
*Bad breath
*Sores

If your pet has trouble coping with the natural detoxification process, you can aid them by supplementing some Acidophilus, Aloe Vera, Bee Pollen, Garlic or some pureed Pumpkin to name a few.*Pumpkin is Mother Nature's natural fiber, it helps to regulate the bowel function.

Copyright © 2002 In The Raw ™
I would say considering Tommy's tummy issues if he's going to have any detox symptoms they would be apparent after a couple of days but still within the first 2 weeks. If it is "not agreeing" with him it I would think it would show the first day.

Duffy only ever had a little casing on the stool, started 2 days after she started raw & only lasted a couple of days.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; May 14th, 2008 at 01:36 AM. Reason: add copyright info
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Remembering Lukka

I don't know what to tell you other than I have been following Tommy from the beginning and it breaks my heart that the poor little one still has to go through these episodes. I hope you stumble upon the right treatment for him soon, but it's good to read that he is doing far better than a year ago. for sweet Tommy
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:41 AM

Thanks Growler, that's great info!

And thanks Lukka'sma... Tommy actually is doing GREAT, 'cept for the whole vomiting thing. He looks great, he's at a great weight, you would never think anything had been wrong with him. He's not even upset when he vomits, he just goes and eats afterwards. I just figure that he's still sooooooo young, if we can keep tweaking things here and there and help him feel better now it'll pay off in the long run and he'll live a longer and happier life.

Hope Lukka's feeling good too, and that her leg is all healed up!
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post
Hope Lukka's feeling good too, and that her leg is all healed up!
Not yet!!!!!! She still limps with every step, if she runs in the yard even for a short distance, she will be heavily limping for a day or so. She seems to need more time to heal than a lot of dogs that have had this surgery. It will get better as the months go by.
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:46 PM

Aww, sorry to hear she's still limping. Here's hoping she'll be as good as new soon, now that warm weather is here and there is no more nasty snow and ice to strain her even more.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:42 AM

My dog experienced the detox period and it lasted for about two weeks. I read that they may release it through one of their weaker parts, in her case it was through her respiratory system. There was a lot of snorting sounds and a lot of hacking. She experienced a short case of diarrhea and some vomiting. I was worried for a little bit, but stuck to it. All the research I read said that this may happen and it did. After the two weeks was over, she was back to normal, actually she was much better. I am a firm believer in raw! Good luck!

"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." ~Winston Churchill