Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old July 18th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Unhappy Cat left behide..

Hi,

I havn't posted for quite some time! I have returned the liter of kittens I was fostering with there mother.

Well on July first as many stories go, a women who was moving out left her cat behide with a bag of food, dish of water and asked if I could keep it. I couldn't so then she went to another lady and asked her. Everyone couldn't because almost everyone here has cats already. We all feed the cat and give it water and play with her* when she comes around- but this is not enough. And at night she is left out (recently I have seen a fox from the local forest twice snooping around!) This is what scares me most.

The cat is a black cat, and im guessing about 1 years old. I do not know if it is male/female.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do with this kitty! She is still quite young so im gussing she has a higher chance of being adopted. The winter comes so fast.. :sad:

Thanks
Old July 18th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

You said that you foster cats, don't have any at the moment and have lots of room. Why don't you take her in and foster her? She needs to spayed asap (if female).

I can list her on my site to help you find her a home.
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

This poor cat needs somewhere to go, not just to be fed and allowed to roam the neighbourhood with all the dangers - foxes being just one of many!! I realize ppl are trying to help but surely to God someone can take her in!! What's one extra kitty? I mean, it is not like it is a condo development with rules and so forth. If the neighbours cannot help, a rescue group will lhave to try to rehome the kitty. She deserves so much more than this for a life!! Her previous "owner" should be made to pay some of the costs too!!! And depending where she lived, she coud be charged with abandonnment. Sure, she left her with neighbours but if the kitty is living outdoors and does not really have a home, that's horrible!!! If you now where this person is, it is your responsibility to let the authorities know - in a way that ensures the cat does not end up at the SPCA and killed!! Tho she may well die a worse fate given her present lifestyle!! (This story just makes me so sad and angry!!)

Last edited by CyberKitten; July 18th, 2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old July 18th, 2005, 03:38 PM

I could but I can't..

I would take her in deffinetly but I can't at the moment and that is why I didn't take in more foster kittys rite away. It there was just one problem it would be not problem but there is more than one.

In my neigbhourhood almost everyone has a pet and the ones who don't--don't want one. One women was going to take the cat but she has to many kids and a puppy. She is just wondering if she would be able to bring the cat down to relatives in another country? Is this possible?

The women who left the cat was 'nice' but no one really knew her. I beleive she should have took responsabilities into her own hands for her own cat. Found a home, shelter, etc.. I hate this because people have enough problems to deal with and a bag of food and a cat dosn't make anything much easier. I know it is sad that no one could take her in but atleast she is being feed, and played with. I know this is far better than some towns.

This makes me so sad and angry and that is why I posted. To see if this kitty can get a home and the proper love she deserves.
Old July 18th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Condo

And yes it is a condo development(town house) with rules. Many people already broke some(a women has 8 cats and she is the one who told me to post..cat lover) There are only a few scattered house in the back(people I know) and one is the women who wants to bring the cat to her relatives..
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Kate,first of all this woman was not"nice"she is mean and cruel to abandon an animal,look what happened to little July :sad:
I am not bashing you,it was not your fault,but the poor cat needs to be taken care of..I would like to have a word or two with this callous person.
I wish you could take her,even if only until someone can find her a home,it's a little life that needs to be saved...the poor thing must be terrified :sad:
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:47 PM

No, I know no one is bashing.

I would love to take her in except I can't at all. It is the worst time rite now. Ofcourse I read the thread "July" and this can't-and won't be this little kitties fate! I am going to go out and look for her now.I'll bring her in and then to the SPCA. I know people alway use that as a threat" oh im gonna bring her to the spca, ..." But I am going to bring her and tell them to call me if she does not get adopted within the period that they will put her to sleep. All the cats I foster are from the SPCA and they always give me a call when each is adopted ..........Is this a good idea? It will give her the chance at a happy adopted life.

Or we can wait and have the little kitty brang to Haiti.

-Kate
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Ps.

Just to let you know we call the cat "Harpeet" I just went out on a quick walk aroud where Harpeet lived(she can usally be found around the houses there) and no Harpeet...hopefully she will come by my house a bit later..
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh dear! Now I am worried - I do not like the notion of cats beingh outdoors, even the ones who have homes and a cat outside forced to fend for herself (I know she is being fed but a warm bed is sooo nice for a little innocent cat). I blame the callous woman who I would never see as "nice" either, sigh!!

I hope she comes soon!!! Poor baby!!
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Kate,I am not sure what you mean with bring her to Haiti,Haiti is one of the most miserable,poorest places in the Carribean,why would anyone take her there??
I hope you found her again :sad:

Last edited by chico2; July 19th, 2005 at 08:35 AM.
Old July 19th, 2005, 02:41 PM

I know this women is not nice and that is why I put ' i though she was"nice " (" ")

And yes, Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere but not all parts of Haiti are 'miserable.' Where my neigbhour is from it is ,uite frankly far from miserable! It was just an idea and a very nice offer for a cat who has no home.

Unfortunetly I havn't seen harpeet in 2 days :sad: I put food outside but there are a lot of outdoor house cats around who might of eaten it.
Old July 19th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you put a humane trap outside to try to get her? If she is still around, she may well come for the food?
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:24 PM

Still no kitty

I tried almost everything. Im going to go to the forest as someone said they saw her there one afternoon. Im a bit scared as there is a fox there.
My cat is finaly slowly coming back into the house as we hade a problem with her and the foster cat mum. So really my mum dosn't want anymore cats in the hosue until the upstairs is checked again and my cat feels safe and no stress. So she will not be able to come in the house when I find her and we will bring her to teh SPCA like I mentioned earlier. She will have a chance at being adopted!

Hopefully she will show her self soon..
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

IF you find her (I hope the fox does not get her first, poor baby!!), please bring her to a no kill shelter! The SPCA may well kill her since she is not someone's pets.

I had always thought the local SPCA was a good one and killed only when absolutely necessary until I read a letter to the editor in a local paper by someone who had left their kitty with a friend while away and the cat was roaming and was picked up the SPCA. No collar, no ID and bo one to call and obviously, they picked poor cat caregivers. They arrived home and when the called the SPCA in search of their kitty, theydidcovered it had indeed been picked up but was now dead.

There are other cat rescues in the Ottawa area. Please bring her there so she has a chance at life if you yourself cannot take her in. I did not realize you lived with your parents. Maybe you can try to convince your mom?

I don't advise going too far in the forest by yourself either - unless you can go with a friend and someone who knows how to cope with wildlife. I have a woodlot I like top roam on and I rarely go alone! (even tho my bunny is buried there - because there are many wild rabbits on that property who love the clover). I did not want him to be alone. <g>

Good luck!!
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:33 PM

Kitty

The 'forest' is really small and that is probably why the fox comes to rome in people back yards.

I still havn't seen her but suposely my neighbour did. I am leaving on friday for vacation so I am in a stuck position! I am going to go out and look for her again near my house and hopefuly I will spot her. I will bring her in my room for the time being, but she has less than 1day to find a shelter(befor I leave).
If she is here when I get back she can have all the time she needs to find a home, my mum just didn't want any cats because we weren't going to be home.

I am actually in Montreal so I am looking for a shelter around here..
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I suggest you get your neighbour to feed her - faithfully - while you're away. By the time you get back, the cat will be coming regularly and maybe easier to coax inside. The chances of you making arrangements with a rescue in the short time before you leave, while not unheard of - we've seen miracles on these boards! - are still pretty remote.
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:59 PM

Hi Kate That Is Terrible I Own A No Kill Shelter . I Would Be Happy To Take Her Just Let Me Know Where You Are Located Iam In Hamilton Ontario Canada . And I Currently Have No Animals My Rescue Center Called Great Animal Rescue Just Started Up . I Am Currently Getting A Phone Call From A Lady Who Might Not Want Her Cat Anymore And She Want's It To Go A Good Home . So If You Are Near Me Just Let Me Know And I Will Be Happy To Take And Get It Fixed And Everything
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:11 PM

Good News!!

Because I didn't have time to write befor I left I though I would share the good news now!

Befor I left I found harpeet(the cat) and took her in. Put her upstairs in one of the biggest bedrooms. Hade a neigbhour feed her while we were away. Now it is just time to find this kitty a home!