Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 18th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Ouch ..Min Pin bite me..

Was out walking today and I met my new neighbours. They had a 6 month old min pin on a leash with a prong collar... They said he was friendly so I let him sniff my hand and the little bugger nailed me. Twice..got me on the hand and on the leg. They said he was playing..yea right bugger drew blood...I told them when it bites their kid ( who is about 3) to bring him to me and I would work with him and get him a home.. I am fine, will have the holes looked at tonight at the doctor and will not report this little fart. Dumb ass-ed owners....how can a six month old pup be so vicious? He wanted to eat me LOL I am a big girl so it would have been a huge meal for him..Good thing I like dogs or I would have foot-balled him when he got my leg... But on a good note, I went and got my other neighbours 6 month old pup and let her have a 2 hour play date with mine. In came a white dog and a very muddy tired pup went home. Will post those pictures later.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ouch! How is the bite tonight?

One thing I'd encourage, though, is for you to report the bite. The owners need to take responsibility for their dog--they're letting it run uncontrolled and there will be no turning back if he bites a child severely. Best they're made to see the light now while the dog is young and can still be worked with

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM
You can call me DOG!

I have to agree with Hazel, especially at 6 months old!

If you go to the doctors to have the holes looked at, do they (the doctors) not have an obligation to report the incident?

Hope the bites weren't to severe Shaykeija.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
They had a 6 month old min pin on a leash with a prong collar...
they make prong collars that small ?
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Bites are ok. I got some antibiotics and a few bruises. The husband came over later to apologize, I think he was worried about what could have happened. My doctor knows I do rescue so he never asked, I guess he assumed it was one of mine...Anyway, I am fine, the min pin is going to training school. And my doctor wants to adopt a Shih Tzu from me.. All is good..

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Wow, Shaykeija! You're a miracle woman! Glad to hear that the min pin is going to get some training and that your doctor wants to adopt!

Heal quick!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:54 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ouch!! I really wish people came with a manual that stated whether or not they would ever be responsible enough to own an animal and the type of animal it should be. I bet a large majority of them would have a picture of a snail beside their name as their perfect "fit". Even then I would be leery of some folks.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:00 PM
You can call me DOG!

Sounds like everything is on the mend. Happy to hear min pin is off to training school and even happier to hear Doc is adopting Shih Tzu!

Your a miracle worker Shaykeija!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Bites are ok. I got some antibiotics and a few bruises. The husband came over later to apologize, I think he was worried about what could have happened. My doctor knows I do rescue so he never asked, I guess he assumed it was one of mine...Anyway, I am fine, the min pin is going to training school. And my doctor wants to adopt a Shih Tzu from me.. All is good..
OUCH shay!! That must of hurt like crazy! Did u ask them if their dog had all his shots? And they should have a muzzle on that dog! I use to put a muzzle on my pek/pug cause he would attack people!

Your not givving your doctor Rizzo are u? Mindy needs her buddy here!

I hope your puncture wounds heal soon!

Debbie and Mindy

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Ugh, what kind of person puts a prong collar on a minpin, much less a 6 month old one with aggression issues . I don't even know what went through their head when they decided to do that. Minpins already have sensitive necks, why a prong collar? It couldn't have helped with the biting.
Weird they thought it was playing. Minpins have to bite hard to draw blood, and if they draw blood it generally means they were serious. I've been nipped by them during play and I never bled. Only time I bled is when Roscoe bit me defending something, and he was definitely serious about it.

That's all kinds of screwed up. Sounds like someone that doesn't need to own any dog.
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Nope not Rizzo...I have one coming in that need a good home so the Doc will get him next week..So When ya coming back to get Rizzo? I think she has been spayed now.

Old April 19th, 2010, 12:07 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Are you seriously considering Rizzo, too, TQ?

Old April 19th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I will more than likely get that little bitey fart. I just hope if I do, that I can heal his issues.

Old April 19th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Nope not Rizzo...I have one coming in that need a good home so the Doc will get him next week..So When ya coming back to get Rizzo? I think she has been spayed now.
Well I have to go to Timmins on Thursday for tests at the hospital... he he he...it's only another 3 hrs to your place.

While I'm there I could look for a good divorce lawyer too!

Serioulsy, if our neighbours weren't so close and knew our business I would do it! I so wish we lived in the country!! And ya know we're over the animal limit now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Are you seriously considering Rizzo, too, TQ?
hazel,, I have wanted Rizzo since I came home with Mindy 5 weeks ago But no, I don't think we could do it,,,mind u she is pee pad trained so no one outside would have to see her. I could take her outside for walks at night time like I do with Mindy when everyone is sleeping.

Quote:
I will more than likely get that little bitey fart. I just hope if I do, that I can heal his issues.
Well I sure hope that he won't bite u anymore and u can fix him. The little bugger!

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

The owner obviously does not know his dog very well...nor the breed.

As a rule of thumb, min pins should not be approached. They will come to you, not you to them. Everything is on their terms not ours.

This breed is very protective of the owner and I honestly think that they don't want to be bothered, cuddled or touched by others.

When I evaluate them, I must build a relationship with them before I can manipulate them. I take the same percausions as I do when evaluating a rottie.
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Yikes! Yeah, just playing my butt. At least the guy came over and apologized. The sad thing is, they won't find it so cute or funny if their kid gets bit the same way.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Yikes! Yeah, just playing my butt. At least the guy came over and apologized. The sad thing is, they won't find it so cute or funny if their kid gets bit the same way.
Chances are the kids within the family will not be clipped. Strangers will be for sure but you must know this breed. There seems to be a misunderstanding of this breed in general.

Problem is that they are cute so people think that they can be handled with ease. Big mistake to think this.

Bottom line - don't touch the dog.
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Chances are the kids within the family will not be clipped. Strangers will be for sure but you must know this breed. There seems to be a misunderstanding of this breed in general.

Problem is that they are cute so people think that they can be handled with ease. Big mistake to think this.

Bottom line - don't touch the dog.
Yes, they are very cute. As a rule, I always wait for a dog to approach me. It's enough they smell kitty on me, I don't want to make any sudden moves either.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post

As a rule of thumb, min pins should not be approached. They will come to you, not you to them. Everything is on their terms not ours.

This breed is very protective of the owner and I honestly think that they don't want to be bothered, cuddled or touched by others.
You are absolutely right BM , I actually saw something about this on tv this week end ! They were talking about Minpins , saying they will bond with their owner ONLY , and maybe a second person (like husband/wife) but that's it. They won't let other people in their "circle" easely.
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Well Mr Bitey face got loose tonight. I trapped him in my backyard and went up the street to get the owners. I had a net ready if the bugger took off. LOL This is the 3rd time he had been loose. Good thing my back yard is escape proof.

Old April 19th, 2010, 09:12 PM
-

What ? The owners don't have a secure backyard for the little guy ?
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Well Mr Bitey face got loose tonight. I trapped him in my backyard and went up the street to get the owners. I had a net ready if the bugger took off. LOL This is the 3rd time he had been loose. Good thing my back yard is escape proof.
I can see ya now....big butterfly net in hand,, talking to mr bitey face and telling him exactly what u think of him and his biting you! And where excactly you are going to put that net if he tries it again!! LMAO

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~

Last edited by Tundra_Queen; April 19th, 2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
You are absolutely right BM , I actually saw something about this on tv this week end ! They were talking about Minpins , saying they will bond with their owner ONLY , and maybe a second person (like husband/wife) but that's it. They won't let other people in their "circle" easely.
It depends on the minpin. Roscoe would bond with anyone that fed him . Only if we were present though. If someone tried to come in the house without us there he would try and bite them. That happened when my mother in law had someone come over to check on the dogs one day, and he wouldn't let the person enter the house. After he met them with my mother in law present he was fine with them.

They actually make really good guard and watch dogs because they will bark if something is wrong. They don't bark at EVERYTHING like a yap dog does unless you allow them to do so. The ones I've been around, including Roscoe, were actually pretty quiet in the house unless something set them off, like someone coming to the door or people screaming outside.
People get them thinking they'll be a cute little cuddly lap dog, and if you let them they will walk all over you. Just about all minpins exhibit dominant personalities and they're not really for newbie or inexperienced dog owners.
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil View Post

They actually make really good guard and watch dogs because they will bark if something is wrong. They don't bark at EVERYTHING like a yap dog does unless you allow them to do so. The ones I've been around, including Roscoe, were actually pretty quiet in the house unless something set them off, like someone coming to the door or people screaming outside.
People get them thinking they'll be a cute little cuddly lap dog, and if you let them they will walk all over you. Just about all minpins exhibit dominant personalities and they're not really for newbie or inexperienced dog owners.
You got that right!
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Glad your ok and that this Min Pin is going through training school How can a 6 mth old puppy be so vicious you ask, cuz people don't train their little dogs no their not cute when their aggressive! Either train them or keep them muzzled
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
Glad your ok and that this Min Pin is going through training school How can a 6 mth old puppy be so vicious you ask, cuz people don't train their little dogs no their not cute when their aggressive! Either train them or keep them muzzled
Again - don't touch dogs you don't know. Know the breed first, to understand their limitations and behaviours.

Dogs are not always 100% predictable - trained or not.
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Update

Sigh....Look who showed up on Kijiji.....

Mr Biteyface.....

Jake is a 2 year old pure bread miniature pinscher. He is 24 lbs, black and tan male. He needs a home with lots of space to run, a very affirmative owner to show him who is boss. He would serve well as a guard dog because he is known to bark at strangers. The owner should have knowledge of the breed since he does have temperament issues. ( aggressive around dogs ) He has been known to nip at people. He does have many issues but we believe that with a good owner, Jake could have a good life. He has had all of his shots, neutered and has been to obedience training. (knows how to sit, stay, shake a paw ect...) If you have any other question or would like to meet Jake, you can email me at mailto:{removed} or give me a call at (705) 5**-****.

Thanks,

Brandon

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; August 8th, 2011 at 12:12 AM. Reason: no personal emails
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:55 AM

Sigh. What do people expect when they use prong collars? Every time the dog moves it gets a ''bite'' to the neck. The first time this poor little guy went forward to sniff another dog or human, whamo, pain. Pain every time it stepped out of line. God knows who put the idea in the head of the owner that a prong was a ''good idea''. Now the dog has a bite history. Hope someone with patience and common sense gets this guy or he's doomed.
Dogs may be peoples' best friend but it doesn't always work the other way around.