Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 14th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Question Anyone ever taken their dog/cats/pets to a show???

Just wondering if anyone has ever shown their pet.

Before my cat, Hopeful, became too old.. he won three top blue point siamese cat classes..

His son, Rex, is working on beating that record now.

Also, my Border Collie, Queen, will soon be entering a show and despite her red/white coloration she'll win.

Hopeful is a 10 year old blue point siamese cat. Near January 1st, this year, he was run over and his hind-legs, his right fore-leg broken, and his spine fractured. Around $10,000 later, he is back to the "normal" cat he used to be. I saved him, because many years ago, he saved me.

Tulip, Hopeful's 3 year old daughter, fixed blue point siamese.
Rex, is Hopeful's 3 year old unfixed lilac point siamese son.

Spirit, is a white Boxer who was born deaf, and is now blind for he was originally used as a fighting dog. Got him 3 months ago, he is 3 years.

Queen, is a pure-bred red/white Border Collie. She is 6 years old. She helps round up llamas on a 212 acre ranch in Colorado

Shelcka is a Mustang. Her mother was killed by foolish kids when Shelcka was a baby, and I ended up with her. She is solid black with a flaxen mane and tail. 3 years old.
Old March 14th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Hehehe. Not a show, we're working on that. I don't have a pure breed, so I'm looking into obedience. I've been in a fair with my dog and won 2nd prize when he was only 7 months old though!!!
Old March 14th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Well good luck to you & Queen! Who is handling her?

I've only shown (obedience) in fun matches so far, but the goal is to have Cooper's CD by the end of summer & be working towards a CDX. And if I get disciplined about classes & practicing, I want to get him qualified for his TD (Tracking Dog) title this summer too.

I love dog shows, going to a big one here in Detroit next weekend!
Old March 15th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow Carina, tell me more about what your doing! Me and Bentley want to get more involved in obedience, but are there any good websites that would tell some rules about it?
Old March 15th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey Spoiled - just start by going to good obedience classes! Most training facilities offer classes in agility, flyball, tracking, etc - or know people who do. And then you can do fun matches for practice before going onto real competing.

Cooper (and my last Rottie) got the CGC - Canine Good Citizen - title, which any dog, mutt or purebreed, can do. Cooper ADORES obedience classes, it's just the best playtime for him. People who watch him comment on how good a time he's having. We were going to get into agility but he has elbow dysplasia & is doing really well, but making him jump & do fast turns isn't a good idea. We did a beginner tracking class last fall, I went to a seminar, and now I can't wait for the spring classes to start!

I've had a weird couple of years and my attendance in classes has been a bit spotty, which I'm feeling really guilty about because I wanted Coop's CD (Companion Dog) by the time he was three. By the end of this summer we WILL have that ribbon!

So just look for local training places & obedience clubs. It's really fun & generally inexpensive. This is a US reference site, but maybe you can get some ideas:
http://www.apdt.com/
Old March 15th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Carina. My dog already knows all the commands and more, to name a few:

Leave it, stay, sit, down, lay, drop it, over, fetch and come.

He knows tricks to!

Do you think that even though he knows all these tricks and commands really well that I should still take him to obedience? He learned all these commands at home.

We're looking into the CGC, but we need some time and experience to be able to pass. My dog would do most of the things really well, but staying with another person? He'd go crazy!!!

I want to get Bentley his CD to. Do you have to have a CGC to get your CD?

And Agility! We found a trainer, and just have to phone him and make arrangements to go to classes with him. I also got a book on agility. It sounds like a lot of fun!

Thats to bad about Cooper's elbows

And where could I find more information on tracking? My dog althoug he is smallm, I think would be god at tracking. He's always putting his nose to the ground!
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spoiled
[B]Do you think that even though he knows all these tricks and commands really well that I should still take him to obedience? He learned all these commands at home.
**Crap, I just typed out a long reply and then lost my connection! Grrr.
YES. Can Bentley do stand for exam? Formal heeling? Figure eights? 5-minute downstays 24" from another dog with you out of the room? Front & finish? About turns? Long recalls? Can he do all these things in an unfamiliar environment, surrounded by other dogs and with instructors deliberately trying to distract him?
See how much more you guys can learn together?

We're looking into the CGC, but we need some time and experience to be able to pass. My dog would do most of the things really well, but staying with another person? He'd go crazy!!!
**Classes will give him the confidence to do this.

I want to get Bentley his CD to. Do you have to have a CGC to get your CD?
**Nope! Many classes include the CGC sort of like graduation, it's easy.

And Agility! We found a trainer, and just have to phone him and make arrangements to go to classes with him.
**Yes! I'm thinking of getting Daphne back into classes so she can learn agility too.

And where could I find more information on tracking? My dog althoug he is smallm, I think would be god at tracking. He's always putting his nose to the ground!
**Here's a good link:
http://home.flash.net/~hotdc/tracking.htm
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog does the down staying fine, with no distractions and for only four minuts. But thats pretty good, considering that we've only done it for about 30 seconds before and haven't done it lately.

My dog does recalls well, and figure 8's and heeling.

What is front and finnish and about turns?

I don't think there is an obedience course this advanced around here. The reason is, that I live in a rather small town. You've been through obedience with your dogs. What is the best way to get started on these things?
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi spoiled!

Bentley sounds like he knows ALOT. I'm not sure how you would go about getting him further along if there aren't classes (& if you really want to compete, you'd have to attend at least three ob trials to get any titles.) I'd suggest calling around & trying to find someplace. I drive 50 miles for the tracking classes...and just started doing some ob classes about 30 miles south of me because I really like the instructor & a friend goes there.

Otherwise I know there's books & videos...to get some ideas you can check here:
http://www.dogwise.com/index.cfm

(Hey look my book is on the front page!)
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

He does know quite a bit! But he's smart: I got to teach him the sit command when he was 8 weeks old the day we got him home!

How do you teach a dog to stand?

I'm thinking I could get Bentley's CD in the summer, November. We're already working on it. Is this too short of a time to have though? We want to be completley ready, and more.
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Yay!!! Today he managed staying for 5 minuts!
Old March 20th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey Spoiled I sent you a PM.
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Got it!