Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 9th, 2014, 06:36 PM

Best Dog Muzzle?

Hi everyone

I am looking for a safe, non-threatening muzzle.

When I walk my dogs in super busy places, especially where there are children I like to use a muzzle just for extra security. (you know the rules: one bite and they can take your dog away) However those cloth/mesh ones mostly come in black and honestly look quite grim and those giant basket muzzles are very bulky and threatening looking. I find that when I am walking down the street, if my dog has one of those on everyone pulls to the side giving us a couple feet to pass like my 15lb spaniel is a monster. This not only feels bad for both of us, but also doesn't help in socializing him.

I was wondering if any one know about a muzzle that is sturdy, but also cheerful and non-threatening.

Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:29 AM

I use this one for my dog when he is off leash in the forest as he has a habit of eating rotten wood. It is not too threatening looking as it's beige and constructed of pliable plastic but it serves the purpose.
Attached Images

Old May 10th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Perhaps I'm getting the wrong idea but are you muzzling your dog because you are concerned about him biting but have no history to suggest that? Sorry, but that's what I'm getting.

Or has he actually bitten or showed evidence that he might?

You mention socializing - how old is he? Is he a rescue and new to your household?

Just wondering if a muzzle is the way to go since, as you say yourself, they have negative connotations.

More background please?
Old May 10th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I would not put a muzzle on my dog unless he/she needed to wear it. I feel this is signing the dog death certificate , some crackpot may decide to take matters into their own hands and shot the dog. Some guy went to a park in my city with a gun and the guy decides he was going to shot any dog that run near him . He shot and killed someone dog that was a very friendly dog.
I used a gentle leader on my last dog and some people thought it was a muzzle and would they would pull their kids away from my dog. I did not like people spreading rumors that my hearing dog bite people.
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:41 AM

The use of a muzzle is frowned upon by the general public but IMO, muzzles are not only tools for everyone's safety but their use reflects a dog owner who is being proactive as well as responsible.
When there is any doubt that a dog might bite a person or another dog, the use of a muzzle might be the difference between quality of life for their dog. Whether the issue is related to aggression/potential for aggression or ingesting dangerous or fatal materials as in my case the decision to muzzle or not to muzzle is usually made after careful thought and consideration. Good luck
Old May 10th, 2014, 02:56 PM

Thanks for all the info.

I did put a lot of thought into muzzling him. And yes I did it because he has shown threatening signs such as lunging, growling, and he also nipped someone once. I have had him since he was a puppy but he just recently shown this behavior when a trainer unexpectedly lost her cool and started jerking him harshly around. When we interviewed her she seemed great(in my defence). We have contacted a professional and have been working hard to socialize him again. He was doing really good and hardly needed it any more. However, we live up north and since he has almost no fur he cannot walk much for the six months it is -50 degrees. Since it is a small town there is also no socializing or indoor groups. We have arranged play dates, but mostly with the same people. When it finally warmed up he was showing mild signs of his former aggression. Just to be safe we put the muzzle on again. After only two or three walks he seemed to remember his former training and returned to his happy, social self. However I would like to get him accustomed to wearing one on walks so if he ever needs it again it won't be a big deal. Also he has this habit of eating seagull feathers, which could have some sort of disease which he needs to be muzzled for if were walking where there are lots of them.