Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 27th, 2012, 01:53 PM

Cat Boarding

Hi everyone! My husband and I are going away for the long weekend, and we have gotten some mixed opinions on this issue. I'm not 100% comfortable leaving my cat, Oliver alone for 3 days. Most people say he will be fine and enjoy the time alone, since cats are solitary animals. However, he doesn't go a day without his snuggle time with me, and I don't want him to feel abandoned (I know, it sounds pretty ridiculous). So my question is this: how long do you usually leave your cat alone, and what amount of time requires boarding. He will have lots of food and water, but my concern is the lack of human contact. Any opinions would help. Also, if boarding is necessary, does anyone know of a good "Cat Hotel" to leave him at in Toronto? Thanks!
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:04 PM

Hi! In my opinion, taking your cat from your home and leaving him some where else will be much more stress on him then leaving him at home and perhaps he will feel even more abandoned if you just drop him off at a place he has never been and with people he does not know. If you are uncomfortable with leaving him for 3 days, do you not have a friend that can pop in each day and spend some time with him and feed him? I don't have cats now but in the past, I have left my cats for 2 days and they were just fine. Cats are independent, I don't think 3 days will cause too much stress. If you leave lots of food, and lots of fresh water (I left so many bowls of water and food just to be safe) I am sure he will be just fine. As I said, taking him from his home sounds like it would be more stressful then leaving him in his own home. Oh one more thing, do you live in an apartment or house? Just asking because I wouldn't leave him locked up in a hot apartment for 3 days could get very hot in there. (unless your on a upper floor and can leave some windows open for him). Good luck, have a great weekend!
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyKat View Post
Hi everyone! My husband and I are going away for the long weekend, and we have gotten some mixed opinions on this issue. I'm not 100% comfortable leaving my cat, Oliver alone for 3 days. Most people say he will be fine and enjoy the time alone, since cats are solitary animals. However, he doesn't go a day without his snuggle time with me, and I don't want him to feel abandoned (I know, it sounds pretty ridiculous). So my question is this: how long do you usually leave your cat alone, and what amount of time requires boarding. He will have lots of food and water, but my concern is the lack of human contact. Any opinions would help. Also, if boarding is necessary, does anyone know of a good "Cat Hotel" to leave him at in Toronto? Thanks!
I think 3 days is a long time to leave cat alone . Does your cat wear a collar, if he does I would take it off so he can't get caught on anything. My biggest concerned is the cat could get hurt . My daughter's cat got hurt when he was left alone for the the day. He must had jumped onto something and fell off and hurt his back and was not able to move his hind legs. The cat has gotten better. If you do have someone come to take care of your
cat they'll need to be very careful about not letting your cat get out. If it was my cat, I would try to find a good "Cat Hotel" and I would ask if they have an automatic fire sprinkler system.
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Unless you have a very outgoing, confident cat used to different situations, I vote for leaving your cat in his familiar surroundings and having someone check on him (you can hire a pet sitter for a few bucks a day if none of your friends/family/neighbors are available). Many cats stop eating when boarded, which can become a serious health problem.

http://www.petsit.com/hire-a-professional-pet-sitter

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM

Time Alone

I understand your concern.
But i think it is important your cat learns to be on his own for a while.
Like humans we need time alone to get to know ourselves and learn to
be comfortable on our owns.

Of cause he will need to some care, feeding and patting over the 3 days.
But i think he will be fine. Get the right person to come feed him and give him a pat for 20 mins each day.
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs View Post
I understand your concern.
But i think it is important your cat learns to be on his own for a while.
Like humans we need time alone to get to know ourselves and learn to
be comfortable on our owns.

Of cause he will need to some care, feeding and patting over the 3 days.
But i think he will be fine. Get the right person to come feed him and give him a pat for 20 mins each day.
Animals do not think like people. They do not think geez I am so sick of my owners , I wish they would go away for 3 days! When are people going to stop humanize their pets. A cat can get hurt or sick at any time or, get into something trouble on their owns. I read about some people waking up to find their beautiful dog dead . He has gotten into a box of cereal and the plastic bag got stuck on the poor dog head and he could not breath. The plastic bags are not glued to the cereal boxed anymore and the people did not think about their dog getting into the box . Anything can happen and a pet can not call 911 or text for help.
The people that lost their dog told their story to warn other people .

Last edited by hazelrunpack; July 10th, 2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Pls keep it civil