Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

So Coco Had to Visit the Vet!!

Guess he wanted to meet a new doctor!! He started having bum issues again. So I thought ok he's either constipated or he's got a bladder/kidney infection. Well his anal glands were full again. So anyways he wasn't too impressed with that treatment!! I must say while the vet isn't cheap here, they took him on short notice, they do charge a 40.00 emerg. visit fee. When the receptionist said emergency fees, well the $$$ started then she went 40.00 I went phew!! He got a pretty decent thorough exam, better than his last few anyways. So anyways he piddled while the vet was doing his glands which was good because they managed to siphon it up for testing. The Dr said it wouldn't be a perfect sample but at least they can test it. So anyways. since he's had a bit of the runs too the dr gave him some antibiotics, panacur which I guess knocks out any protozoa that could be causing his runs, then he also has a medication for upset tummy and some probiotics to help with the antibiotics!! His teeth need cleaning so he gave me an estimate for cleaning and possible extraction if he needs it. He doesn't have many teeth due to his little adventure with an electrical cord when he was a kitten!! So the dr thinks that may be part of his problem with soft poops and not being able to clean out his anal glands on his own the normal way. He got a shot of the tummy upset stuff so he's already had some crunchies. He's gonna be a happy cat cause with the panacur etc he has to have his own supper by himself.

The whole bill was 280.00 and that includes all the medicines, exam, anal glands...more than happy to have someone else do that!! emerg fee, urine testing so in my experience not too bad. The estimate for teeth cleaning w/o extractions is 280.00 or so and that's everything. So at least I know what to budget for. 20 years ago it cost me over 600.00 for my old kitty!!!

Then of course I'm broke and wasn't able to pay the whole shot so I got a 25.00 balance..damn good thing this is a 3 pay month!! There wasn't a big deal about it so that makes me happy and they didn't hold him hostage!!

Just gotta figure out a way to keep his anal cleans from getting clogged up! Any suggestions for food that might help? I guess a higher fibre would help?
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry I can't help you with the anal gland thing. Hope Coco is feeling better now though. I can't believe your emerg. fee is $40. I pay $60 just for a regular visit fee!! Yikes. I'm sure fibre would help, but not sure how you'll get it into him. For a dog I'd say pumpkin, but will kitties eat it??
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Well I think everyone is going back on Wellness dry and wet. Coco didn't start having issues till I changed to Kirkland. It's more expensive but then so is more vet bills!! I'd rather pay more for a bag of food and skip the vet visits!! Coco will totally agree, getting your anal glands cleared out is certainly no fun!!
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

So he's got crystals, from what they said pretty high concentration. So for now I'll put him on the vet's food while I see what else is out there that isn't Hills. Any suggestions for later would be great. Considering both Nino and Bobee are male and getting up there in years, Bobee especially if I can ward off problems now I'm happy. Poor Coco-cola kitty
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
So he's got crystals, from what they said pretty high concentration. So for now I'll put him on the vet's food while I see what else is out there that isn't Hills. Any suggestions for later would be great.
Did they say what kind of crystals (ie struvite, calcium oxalate)? That can make a difference in how you handle it.

Best thing you can do for all the kitties would be to get rid of the dry food. Yup, it might be more expensive at first, but it's still cheaper than getting a blocked cat unblocked.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

That's what I'm thinking. I'll find out on Friday what type. I checked out the Hills's Prescript diet for bladder issues. The canned doesn't seem too bad ingredient wise. I'm just hoping that he'll eat it. Oh well I'm sure they'll enjoy getting canned twice a day!
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:20 PM

I hope your kitty is feeling better. If you have a natural pet store near you they can recommend a food for bladder/kidney issues. If you don't have one near to talk to someone, maybe you can compare the can of Hill's ingredients with some other cans. I don't know if the nutrients are different, though. I agree, Hill's is not something I would want to feed in the long term. It could just be that they need to have more moisture?
Old September 16th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

He's feeling a bit better today. I have to go get his food tomorrow and another antibiotic. He really likes the Fortiflora. I think I may see about getting something similar for everybody. I'm sure there's less expensive stuff than the Purina brand. Anybody know about how long it takes for the crystals to be dissolved or clear up on average?
Old September 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear Coco is feeling a little better today. Can't help with anything else, but I'm pulling for him. Hope he likes the new food!
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Caca forgot to ask which type of crystals he has! He seems to like it and for now it's a bit cheaper than Wellness.