Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:25 PM

Question Input on Kerry Blue Terrier

Hello!

Any of you out there know that breed, or better yet have one?

I'm looking into various breeds and this one seems to possess a lot of the qualities I'm looking for (not too small, not too big; not much shedding; exercise needs seem manageable).

I was told by someone who knew of 2 Kerry Blues that they were completely nuts! Kept going through screen doors when they saw something moving in the backyard, did not respond to basic commands, etc.

But what about this one? Seems like a smart cookie to me!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nhg5IY6hfVU

I had a Welsh Terrier for 16 years (I was not in charge of her training though - I was too young and not responsible enough! ), but I understand the challenges Terriers can bring. I also had a Doberman for 10 years, which was a dream dog. I know how to make a dog understands "who's the boss", but I don't want a dog that will be crazazy all the time!

Any views? Any other breeds you guys think could be a good fit for me?

Thanks so much in advance!

Lili
PS. To give you all an idea, here are some breeds I have or am currently looking into : Giant Schnauzer, Standard Poodle, Bouvier des Flandres, English Cocker Spaniel...

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

2005-... - Gorgeous blue merle Australian Shepherd (since June 2008)
R.I.P.
1980-1996 - My first dog - Welsh Terrier
1994-2006 - My beloved Chloe - Doberman

Last edited by Lili; February 2nd, 2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I haven't seen a Kerry Blue in a long time. They're very pretty dogs though. All I remember about them is that they have the typical terrier traits. Love to dig. Need a firm but gentle hand to train as they're smart but stubborn. You're right about the minimal shedding, but they need to be groomed regularily or you'll need to learn how to strip and shape the coat yourself. You could look them up through kennel clubs in your area or through the AKC or CKC sites. Try to find a dog show on in your area and see if you can find out more about the breed at the show from a breeder. They may have a rescue group as well and you can adopt a homeless Kerry.

Cindy
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM

kerry blue terriers

Hey Lili,

I do own a kerry blue terrier. And a bedlington terrier. Both of my dogs are wonderful. I have owned 2 dobes in the past (very fond of the breed) a bouvier, siberian husky, neopolitan mastiff , australian cattle dog..um, I think that is it although my uncle used to breed collies.

My kerry is the first I've owned. Maybe I was just lucky...good breeder...combination of both but she is the nicest little girl. She is continuously happy, responds well with very little training. She is good to the cat, birds guinea pigs and the bedlington terrier. My bedlington breeder was concerned about me adding a kerry and my kerry breeder was concerned that I had a bedlington..and other pets, but mostly the bedlington. As it turns out, both are very responsible breeders and chose to breed very stable dogs. As with any breed your best to research and meet the breeders and their dogs. Don't buy a pup from anyone who sells them before at least 9 weeks. I've had many dogs and the only ones that stayed past or atleast 9 weeks were far more even and level headed. Those few extra weeks make all the differance. I've been told that they have to be brought home young (6 weeks..for the acd) in order to bond properly...I have trouble with this as there is so much developement going on with a pup in the next few weeks that it is crucial for them to remain with their pack to learn proper dog behaviour. Anyways, I think that my kerry is quite possibly the happiest , sweetist thing. She does not shed ..at all. Grooming, on the other hand, is considerable work if you want your dog to actually look like a kerry.. Kerry blues can be very dog aggressive..especially the boys...but like I said , do your research. My bedlington breeder saw a kerry handler taken away in an ambulance after the kerry turned on the handler. She was worried for my bedlington but as it turns out...it is a match made in heaven...get a girl if your worried about dog aggression...they are easier and less apt to be a problem that way...I have a male beddie and a female kerry..

Bouviers are great dogs as well...lots of work as far as grooming goes, and a very powerful animal..none the less....a well bred animal with proper socialization is a wonderful thing! I love bouviers... Dobes..well, I love them but due to popularity and bad breeding there are a lot of hyper, hard to control dobes out there with various health problems. Anyways, If you don't mind wet whiskers and continuously cleaning out water dishes (lots of silt settling to the bottom from busy faces in holes, hahah) and your not afraid to try your hand at grooming...then a kerry might be for you!

good luck in your search!
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:58 PM

forgot to mention

Oh, and by the way...of all the dogs I've owned, the ones that have been the easiest to live with and with the least (none really) issues, has been the terriers! Seems funny, as people have this idea that they are all a hand full. Maybe just a fluke, maybe just experience on my part..thanks to all the dogs before them, I don't know. I certainly have seen my share of terriers that are more than a hand full. I love these dogs, what can I say? Kerry blues were bred as an all purpose farm dog...pest exterminator, guardian and herder...so they are very versatile.....and become your shadow although I wouldn't call them a one person dog as I would a dobie or bouvier...she loves everyone equally....a lot more dog than one would expect..very solid...reminds me of a small bouvier but with more substance...bouvier crossed with a bear cub. We have a loud and rambuctious family so maybe that is why the terriers fair so well...!!
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
I haven't seen a Kerry Blue in a long time. They're very pretty dogs though. All I remember about them is that they have the typical terrier traits. Love to dig. Need a firm but gentle hand to train as they're smart but stubborn. You're right about the minimal shedding, but they need to be groomed regularily or you'll need to learn how to strip and shape the coat yourself. You could look them up through kennel clubs in your area or through the AKC or CKC sites. Try to find a dog show on in your area and see if you can find out more about the breed at the show from a breeder. They may have a rescue group as well and you can adopt a homeless Kerry.

Cindy
Thanks! I will probably be looking into meeting some breeders and going to at least one dog show in my area... That way I would probably meet most breeds I'm considering at the moment!

R.I.P.
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongamoggie View Post
Hey Lili,

I do own a kerry blue terrier. And a bedlington terrier. Both of my dogs are wonderful. I have owned 2 dobes in the past (very fond of the breed) a bouvier, siberian husky, neopolitan mastiff , australian cattle dog..um, I think that is it although my uncle used to breed collies.

My kerry is the first I've owned. Maybe I was just lucky...good breeder...combination of both but she is the nicest little girl. She is continuously happy, responds well with very little training. She is good to the cat, birds guinea pigs and the bedlington terrier. My bedlington breeder was concerned about me adding a kerry and my kerry breeder was concerned that I had a bedlington..and other pets, but mostly the bedlington. As it turns out, both are very responsible breeders and chose to breed very stable dogs. As with any breed your best to research and meet the breeders and their dogs. Don't buy a pup from anyone who sells them before at least 9 weeks. I've had many dogs and the only ones that stayed past or atleast 9 weeks were far more even and level headed. Those few extra weeks make all the differance. I've been told that they have to be brought home young (6 weeks..for the acd) in order to bond properly...I have trouble with this as there is so much developement going on with a pup in the next few weeks that it is crucial for them to remain with their pack to learn proper dog behaviour. Anyways, I think that my kerry is quite possibly the happiest , sweetist thing. She does not shed ..at all. Grooming, on the other hand, is considerable work if you want your dog to actually look like a kerry.. Kerry blues can be very dog aggressive..especially the boys...but like I said , do your research. My bedlington breeder saw a kerry handler taken away in an ambulance after the kerry turned on the handler. She was worried for my bedlington but as it turns out...it is a match made in heaven...get a girl if your worried about dog aggression...they are easier and less apt to be a problem that way...I have a male beddie and a female kerry..

Bouviers are great dogs as well...lots of work as far as grooming goes, and a very powerful animal..none the less....a well bred animal with proper socialization is a wonderful thing! I love bouviers... Dobes..well, I love them but due to popularity and bad breeding there are a lot of hyper, hard to control dobes out there with various health problems. Anyways, If you don't mind wet whiskers and continuously cleaning out water dishes (lots of silt settling to the bottom from busy faces in holes, hahah) and your not afraid to try your hand at grooming...then a kerry might be for you!

good luck in your search!
Thank you so much for your reply!!! Kerry owners are hard to find so I really appreciate getting your insight!

Quote:
Oh, and by the way...of all the dogs I've owned, the ones that have been the easiest to live with and with the least (none really) issues, has been the terriers! Seems funny, as people have this idea that they are all a hand full. Maybe just a fluke, maybe just experience on my part..thanks to all the dogs before them, I don't know. I certainly have seen my share of terriers that are more than a hand full. I love these dogs, what can I say? Kerry blues were bred as an all purpose farm dog...pest exterminator, guardian and herder...so they are very versatile.....and become your shadow although I wouldn't call them a one person dog as I would a dobie or bouvier...she loves everyone equally....a lot more dog than one would expect..very solid...reminds me of a small bouvier but with more substance...bouvier crossed with a bear cub. We have a loud and rambuctious family so maybe that is why the terriers fair so well...!!
I remember my Welsh Terrier being a lot more independent than my Dobe was for sure. The best thing for me would be to meet some adult Kerry Blues to fully understand what I could anticipate if I had one. I do get that dogs like humans are individuals and that personality traits can vary within one breed. I would be very careful in choosing a responsible breeder if only for that sole reason.

Thanks again for your input! (Any chance you could post a pic of your Kerry?)

R.I.P.
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

When I was younger and living at home my family always had a Kerry Blue Terrier, as did my grandmother. I don't recall any problems with digging or any other particular troubles with any of our dogs. I think like a lot of terriers they think they are a big dog in a little (or medium) sized body In our home we also always had a budgie and the dogs and birds got along fine. I've had hamsters and gerbils as well, but kept them in a room away from the dogs (thought it safer since the Kerrys were bred to hunt rats).

ETA: we never did a lot of grooming with ours, we would take them to a groomer a couple of times a year and have them clipped. Not a show clip, a full body clip, just leaving the "beard" and "bangs". One thing I did just remember about our dogs, the last one we had did have a health problem, she had tumours. I remember we had one purple warty looking one removed from her foot, and she grew another one like that on her neck. If I recall, I think when we had to have her euthanized she had another tumour inside of her (it's been a long time though, that would have been back in about 1987, because it was '88 when I got 2 collie pups). The dog we had before that dog I "think" may have also had some kind of tumour, but I was just a little kid when that one grew old. Still, it wouldn't hurt for you to discuss health issues in depth with the breeders you talk to. See if there is any history of tumours in their dogs.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com

Last edited by Gail P; March 14th, 2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail P View Post
When I was younger and living at home my family always had a Kerry Blue Terrier, as did my grandmother. I don't recall any problems with digging or any other particular troubles with any of our dogs. I think like a lot of terriers they think they are a big dog in a little (or medium) sized body In our home we also always had a budgie and the dogs and birds got along fine. I've had hamsters and gerbils as well, but kept them in a room away from the dogs (thought it safer since the Kerrys were bred to hunt rats).

ETA: we never did a lot of grooming with ours, we would take them to a groomer a couple of times a year and have them clipped. Not a show clip, a full body clip, just leaving the "beard" and "bangs". One thing I did just remember about our dogs, the last one we had did have a health problem, she had tumours. I remember we had one purple warty looking one removed from her foot, and she grew another one like that on her neck. If I recall, I think when we had to have her euthanized she had another tumour inside of her (it's been a long time though, that would have been back in about 1987, because it was '88 when I got 2 collie pups). The dog we had before that dog I "think" may have also had some kind of tumour, but I was just a little kid when that one grew old. Still, it wouldn't hurt for you to discuss health issues in depth with the breeders you talk to. See if there is any history of tumours in their dogs.
Thanks a lot for your input! I would also take it to a groomer... Not sure I'd have the required talent to give my dog a proper or should I say 'pretty' clip! If I pursue this breed further, I'll definitively talk to breeders about potential health issues.

R.I.P.
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM

pics of indy and maija

hopefully the pics upload properly...Maija is still sporting her black puppy coat and is about 10 or 11 months in these pics...the bedlington is five years old.
Attached Images

Old March 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks you for those pics ... I'm now totally "confused"

Either the Bedlington is a lot larger than I thought, or the Kerry a lot smaller, because I did not "see" them as being identical at all

I had a Westie (annoying, yapping thing with permanent skin problems, never able to resolve them) and an Airedale who was the nicest dog ever. He didn't dig, or at least not compared the the Huskies we had just one little "dump" in front of his dog house so he could "hide" (he wasn't tied to it, just liked having his own little nest outside).

The Kerry is such a beautiful terrier though ...

I guess a terrier is like any other breed: it depends on the breeder and the owner whether the dog is "good" or "bad"
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:16 PM

Kerry and bedlington

Hey Sarah,

Size wise these pics are a bit confusing yes. The bedlington is bang on 16 inches at the shoulder and weighs about 24 pounds. The Kerry, is actually about 18 inches at the shoulder and weights about 40 pounds...she will still fill out more as she is a pup. She is actually a bit bigger than she probably should be. The pics dont show the diff. in size well. She is a lot more dog than the bedlington. Much denser bone and muscle. The beddie is light and fleet of foot but the kerry is a bit of a clutz and is very solid. She is becoming a little more "graceful" as she matures. Her coat has some rusty markings and this is just her coat starting to clear. The "blue" will come in completely by around 2 years of age or so. In the meantime her coat will look odd as it transitions. The bedlington is born black as well...or brown if it is a liver and the coat clears at a much earlier age. The proper coat on a Bedlington should never be white..that is a fault. He has a lot of black course hairs on him that leave his coat looking a bit grey...and would look a bit brown if a liver. I have read that there is some bedlington in the Kerry..or is it the other way around. Basically the beddie is built like a whippet and the kerry like a tank. Hahah. She is a bit taller than Indy and a lot more substance...way more dog. They do everything together and I have no problems with aggression.

Deb
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Hey Sarah,

Size wise these pics are a bit confusing yes. The bedlington is bang on 16 inches at the shoulder and weighs about 24 pounds. The Kerry, is actually about 18 inches at the shoulder and weights about 40 pounds...she will still fill out more as she is a pup.

Deb
OK, phew, I thought I was misinformed after all these years, lol.

Quote:
Basically the beddie is built like a whippet and the kerry like a tank. Hahah. She is a bit taller than Indy and a lot more substance...way more dog. They do everything together and I have no problems with aggression.

Deb
Now that is a funny description, especially put side-by-side like that

I remember when we were looking at a dog-book when I was a kid and we were to pick out our very first dog, I thought the Bedligton was cute and looked like a lamb, so I wanted that.

My mom wanted a newfie. Dad didn't really want a dog, but caved under the general pressure and agreed to a newfie ... till he saw the "grizzly" of a huge male, standing on his hind legs leaning on the front gate with a (friendly!) "bououfff". It was a firm "no" from the patriarch there and then

We ended up with a replaced Bearded Collie (the brown version) named Bruno who we immediately renamed Rex! (Original, I know).

So no Bedlington for me. Oh well ....
Old March 21st, 2008, 03:31 PM

how I ended up with two terriers

It's kinda funny really. I've always leaned towards larger dogs. I had an australian cattle dog and a neopolitan mastiff when my daughter was born. She grew up with them and as she became more verbal she started to ask for her own dog. I was not about to add a third dog to the family but the cat and two dogs were getting up there. Around the age of five my daughter became more and more verbal about her own dog. Neither the mastiff or the cattle dog paid much attention to my daughter as they were both my dogs...followed me everywhere. So I began a search on the net for a smaller dog for my daughter. When she saw the pic of a bedlington she was in love. I almost gaged. I had always thought bedlingtons were the most rediculous looking dog around...and being a large and kinda tough dog lover I was not really interested at all. I researched the breed anyways and eventually met some bedlingtons. They are less terrierish than other terriers, dont shed at all, loving and gentle with kids...all good qualities. Then I went to visit the breeder I bought Indy from. She had quite a flock of bedlingtons...all well behaved and sweet. I instantly fell in love with them. Some of her dogs are agility trained and have companion dog certificates...very obediant..not something I expected! Well, we bought a pup as our cattle dog was diagnosed with melanoma in his eye and the mastiff was almost 9. Little did I know that I would have 3 dogs for the next three years. Indy is a great little dog...very obedient, sweet and gentle....good with the other animals . He is still very much a terrier at times but I like the spunk! The cattle dog was put down when indy was 3 and a year later the mastiff...she was just about 13. The siamese cat as well..aged 20. So my pack diminished all at once. Indy was depressed for about 3 months then seemed to snap out of it. We had already decided to get another dog..not sure what. I wanted another dobe but didn't have the time needed to spend with a demanding breed. I had also gotten used to no dog hair..something unknown in my house for over 2 deckades. So, we looked at terriers again. If Id had it my way it would have been another beddie...as my breeder had more pups..but everyone else wanted something that was a little more of a house protector.... I'd always liked the look of the kerry blue and the fact that they dont' shed. I had the grooming equipment already and figured "whats one more?" Soooo, I investigated...worried abit about how another terrier would fair with all the birds and guinea pigs.....visited the kerry breeder....met the adults, and was relatively certain all wojuld be well. I used Ceasar Millans method of introducing a new dog to the pack, and the rest is history...match made in heaven...love both my terriers and wouldn't trade em for anything. The kerry is a silly creature...full of happiness and love...the bedlington is a little more dignified but is still one of dogdomes best kept secrets. Both of these breeds are wonderful but I will also give much credit to breeders that consider temperment paramount.l.....over confirmation in the show ring...not that that is not important...but a beautiful creature to look at that is a pain to live with is a common occurance these days....no matter how beautifully built the animal...you need a stable mind first...although I have no complaints about my terriers and may show my kerry as she moves really nice and has nice conformatioin...maybe a tad large tho.
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
hopefully the pics upload properly...Maija is still sporting her black puppy coat and is about 10 or 11 months in these pics...the bedlington is five years old.
How pretty is this Kerry! Wow!!! Thanks a lot for posting these pics! The Bedlington looks so soft and fluffy! Very beautiful dogs!

R.I.P.
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
It's kinda funny really. I've always leaned towards larger dogs. I had an australian cattle dog and a neopolitan mastiff when my daughter was born. She grew up with them and as she became more verbal she started to ask for her own dog. I was not about to add a third dog to the family but the cat and two dogs were getting up there. Around the age of five my daughter became more and more verbal about her own dog. Neither the mastiff or the cattle dog paid much attention to my daughter as they were both my dogs...followed me everywhere. So I began a search on the net for a smaller dog for my daughter. When she saw the pic of a bedlington she was in love. I almost gaged. I had always thought bedlingtons were the most rediculous looking dog around...and being a large and kinda tough dog lover I was not really interested at all. I researched the breed anyways and eventually met some bedlingtons. They are less terrierish than other terriers, dont shed at all, loving and gentle with kids...all good qualities. Then I went to visit the breeder I bought Indy from. She had quite a flock of bedlingtons...all well behaved and sweet. I instantly fell in love with them. Some of her dogs are agility trained and have companion dog certificates...very obediant..not something I expected! Well, we bought a pup as our cattle dog was diagnosed with melanoma in his eye and the mastiff was almost 9. Little did I know that I would have 3 dogs for the next three years. Indy is a great little dog...very obedient, sweet and gentle....good with the other animals . He is still very much a terrier at times but I like the spunk! The cattle dog was put down when indy was 3 and a year later the mastiff...she was just about 13. The siamese cat as well..aged 20. So my pack diminished all at once. Indy was depressed for about 3 months then seemed to snap out of it. We had already decided to get another dog..not sure what. I wanted another dobe but didn't have the time needed to spend with a demanding breed. I had also gotten used to no dog hair..something unknown in my house for over 2 deckades. So, we looked at terriers again. If Id had it my way it would have been another beddie...as my breeder had more pups..but everyone else wanted something that was a little more of a house protector.... I'd always liked the look of the kerry blue and the fact that they dont' shed. I had the grooming equipment already and figured "whats one more?" Soooo, I investigated...worried abit about how another terrier would fair with all the birds and guinea pigs.....visited the kerry breeder....met the adults, and was relatively certain all wojuld be well. I used Ceasar Millans method of introducing a new dog to the pack, and the rest is history...match made in heaven...love both my terriers and wouldn't trade em for anything. The kerry is a silly creature...full of happiness and love...the bedlington is a little more dignified but is still one of dogdomes best kept secrets. Both of these breeds are wonderful but I will also give much credit to breeders that consider temperment paramount.l.....over confirmation in the show ring...not that that is not important...but a beautiful creature to look at that is a pain to live with is a common occurance these days....no matter how beautifully built the animal...you need a stable mind first...although I have no complaints about my terriers and may show my kerry as she moves really nice and has nice conformatioin...maybe a tad large tho.
You have shed a lot of light on the Kerry for me! Also, you made me discover the Bedlington! Both breeds seem very special, and with that, made my decision-making process even harder! I'll try to meet some dogs at a dog show perhaps, if there is one in my area anytime soon!

R.I.P.
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:34 AM

good internet site on kerry blue terriers

Hey Lili,

Here is a link to possibly the best site on the net for kerry blue terrier information....I think its pretty good!

http://www.kerryblues.info/