Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 11th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I'd show you a pic, but an all black newtrix on an all black doggy doesn't show one bit.
(I've edited this so many times to try to make more sense, but I just can't. )
Here ya go:

If you've ever put a horse harness on, it's a lot like that, just no bitt. They come with great instructions too, figured it out first try. (and showed the sales girl at the same time!)
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

It should be loose enough for a full yawn, and some slack on the sides, but not loose enough to fall off.
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Honest Contributor

the pawtisserie petshop has the newtrix collars on backorder, they will call me when the shipment comes in... i reserved a size L! should be within a few days... can't wait! hoping it works, looks like a fine training tool!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:27 PM

omg that second one of layla is adorable.

They don't like the newtrix too much I think- Boo rubs his face on strangers that approach him. But after he associated it with long peaceful walks where he doesn't get yelled at at all, he doesn't really mind it and gets excited when I pull it off the hook.

I hope the large fits- Boo is a large...
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Honest Contributor

so, is it a newtrix with a different name?

http://www.pets.ca/onlinestore/modul...rod&prodid=156

Old July 13th, 2006, 05:20 PM

No, it's the "newtrix easyway".
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Honest Contributor

ha ha! too funny... they "trixed" me on that one

Old July 16th, 2006, 05:49 PM
-

I just read this post and, TD, I hope you love the Newtrix as much as I do. I purchased mine from this site (thanks Marko) and just got it last Thursday.

What a difference!! I thought I would have trouble with my husky getting used to it as he hated the Gentle Leader and I ended up giving in to him and just using a harness. He doesn't mind it at all and my arm loves being back in it's socket.

I am definitely going to order another one from here for my lab but want to wait until he's completely full grown. The one I ordered (50-80 lb.) fits him now but I'm expecting him to weigh about 90lb. eventually. So he's wearing the Gentle Leader for now.

Let us know how you like the Newtrix.
Old July 16th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Honest Contributor

as soon as the store calls me, i'll go pick it up and let you know! glad to hear about so many good results with it!

Old July 24th, 2006, 03:04 PM
-

Technodoll....have you got your newtrix collar yet?
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Honest Contributor

not yet! the store JUST called me today, what a coincidence they have a large one in stock now, but i can't get it for another two weeks... i leave town Friday morning to work in Boston for a grueling 8 days, and the store closes at 7pm this thursday - i cannot make it out there on time.

in the meanwhile it's Training with a big "T", hubby is doing wonderfully well on NOT letting dakotah pull on walks anymore, already it's made a big diff. the boy still wants to pull, but knows that "it ain't going nowhere no more"

Old July 24th, 2006, 04:19 PM
-

Can't your hubby pick it up or will they put it on hold for you?
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:05 PM

lol only on pets.ca are people all excited about somebody buying a fancy leashy thing.

(but don't stop- I want to know how it goes too!)
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Honest Contributor

let's put it this way... i have to remind hubby every day to fill up the dog's water dish! so no, he won't drive out there to have it fitted and see if it's for dakotah or not... ya know? but yes, the store will "kind of" hold it for us, they said they rarely sell a size Large and in the event they do sell it before i drop by, they will order another one. Very nice place!

Old July 24th, 2006, 05:19 PM
-

Awwww.....so we have to wait another two weeks.
Old July 24th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Senior Contributor

TD, do you want me to pick it up for you? I do afterall spend my days right across the street from there.
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Honest Contributor

thanks puppyluv i do really want to have it fitted at the store to make sure it's the right size and i know what i'm doing, you know? we've waited this long... a few more days won't be too bad. i do love that store though, do you know if they sell raw frozen green tripe?

Old August 5th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Honest Contributor

well i decided not to get the newtrix after all... tried it on, tried it out, and dakotah doesn't pull any less, it looks like an awful contraption on his head and the muzzle strap kept going dangerously close to his eyes because of the pulling, it looked painful, and he could not really pant in it like he needs to in the summer, so all in all: not for us. we'll just keep working on the training and eventually he'll get better at heeling during walks.

Old August 5th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I can't remember if anyone brought it up before, but what about a prong collar? When we moved to Florida Jesse became a demon dog to walk -- more so for the honey not so much for me because she listens to me more than him. Well we were at the store and looking at different options and the woman was helping us out with different suggestions. When we got to the prong collar my first reaction was NO! Honey wanted to consider a choke collar and that was a DOUBLE NO! So we went back to the prong. I had the lady adjust it and we put it on my arm and pulled as tight as possible and to my surprise it didn't hurt. I think for dogs it's the idea of it tightening and not actually doing what a choke collar does. For those hard to leash train dogs I would definitely recommend it, but only for training, not a permanent thing. Anyway, we used it for about two months with Jesse and we no longer need it. She now walks just fine on a regular collar.
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Senior Contributor

techdoll, how old is your doggy? I've seen you post a lot but I don't think I've ever noticed.
Keep working on the training, it takes LOTS of time, my 45 lb chow mix used to be an awful puller (yes she's not that heavy but I'm only 5 foot 1, and she's all muscle), but after working on her EVERY single time I took her outside, finally she's getting better. I took her for a walk yesterday and she only got distracted and pulled maybe 5 times within the hour, which I think is the most pleasant walk I've had with her.
We could never use a halti on her because it never fit right on her head, and she hated it. I think 'cause of the chow in her she has a large head with a fairly short muzzle so nothing fits right. We used a normal harness on her for awhile but she just learned to pull worse with it and she somehow learned to slip out of it (unless I have it on really tight, but she has a deep chest and it impedes her breathing). The no pull harnesses didn't really keep her from pulling that much and they rubbed really bad on her elbows and underarms. Her chest is so deep and her ribcage is so big everything she wears has to be in an extra large, and doesn't fit right on the rest of her body.
I have yet to find (or try) a device that works well on powerful, large or stubborn/dominant dogs, so I guess just lots of training and work is about the only thing to do .

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; August 5th, 2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

jesse's mommy, prong collars can make large and dominant dogs agressive or nippy. We used one on walnut at one time but it made her EXTREMELY nippy, and after a few minutes the corrections didn't effect her anyways.

Quote:
I think for dogs it's the idea of it tightening and not actually doing what a choke collar does.
Prong collars work on the theory that the prongs feel like the teeth of another dog correcting your dog. This is why it's not good on Large agressive or dominant dogs, because it can make them worse.
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I guess it just depends on the dog because it worked fine with Jesse. She just walks next to us now and doesn't pull at all. We used the prong for two months and that was it. Back to her Mickey Mouse collar. I can actually hold her leash with my pinky.
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah it works great on normal dogs that don't have any dominance or agression problems or aren't extremely stubborn.
Walnut is stubborn enough that if you let her she will pull and choke herself on her normal collar, a choke collar, OR yes a prong collar. Plus like I said it made her nippy which was annoying . She's also developed dominance problems recently so I'm glad I didn't keep using it on her.
We just had to work a lot on obedience with her, and this is doing the trick.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; August 5th, 2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Honest Contributor

dakotah is 2.5 years old, a "mature adolescent" LOL i wish we could use the prong collar on him but it totally rips the fur right off his neck no matter what, and stains it gray on top of everything. grr. he does walk better with it on but his neck & fur type are just not ideal. bummer. and forget any halter... halti... yep big head, short muzzle, deep chest, etc... typical akita!

the good thing is that this forces both hubby and i to work extra viligently at making sure we enforce the Heel command on walks, he's already so much better and i this continues!

Old August 5th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Just be patient, it will get a lot better (with some frustrating relapses lol).
Walnut is completely obedient in the house (I'm even teaching her to go turn off the light switch ), but as soon as she steps through the door oh god.
I think I had to drag her back in the house about a million times before she would actually sit after walking out the door, lol.
She'd sit obediently at the door then we'd walk through it and it would be like a light flickered on or something, and she'd pull as hard as she could trying to get off the porch and look at stuff. I felt like I walked outside and back in for about in hour before I could get her to notice I was there after we went outside.
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:57 PM
-

Aww, TD, sorry to hear the Newtrix didn't work out. It works like a charm on my siberian husky. I can actually walk with a loose leash now.

From reading all the posts every dog is different though. Good Luck with Dakotah.
Old August 5th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

You might want to try the target stick ? Some people get very good results...
Old August 5th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Senior Contributor

How would you use a target stick for leash pulling? You can use them for teaching dogs to do stuff like turning on and off light switches, which I'm teaching Walnut right now, but other than that I dunno.
Old August 5th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Same thing as with any command. The stick simply shows the dog where we want him to "put his nose". In the same way a dog will learn to lie down where we point the stick, he can learn to heel.
Old August 5th, 2006, 09:58 PM

I have taught my dogs to touch a target stick, and it does have its uses.. but I tend to stick to the simplest solution, especially for walks. Instead of the stick, teach "touch' to your open palm. One less thing to carry.