Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Closed Thread

Old February 7th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Unhappy Shedding may cause me to give up my dog ...

:sad:

I love Rocky. He is a 1 year old purebred German Shepherd with light eyes and a heart of gold. I run my own business and have 2 kids and precious little time. My husband loves the dog but is unable to handle the hair everywhere. To be honest, neither can I. I bought the "furminator" to try and help and it has done precious little to the condition of my home. My kids can't be kids, they cannot get down on the floor to play because moments after cleaning, the place is covered in a layer of hair.

WE have hardwood throughout and radiant heating, which means no furnace, no air circulation, no filter to remove ANY hair.

I am at my wits end and my marriage can only take so much arguing. As much as I love my pet, I value my marrriage more, forgive me for saying that. Rocky was bought for me. My husband isn't really a pet person, but bless his soul, he's a wife person and new that it meant a lot to me.

I have 2 acres of land and I want to know if I can switch Rocky to being an outdoor dog? Is it ok for him to be crated inside on days with a major cold warning or is that cruel?

Anyone with any advice, please help or I will be positing in a different forum too soon.

Thanks,

Jeanette
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Animal Lover

I'm sorry to hear of your woes. I know my dogs are both shedding right now like crazy because of the weather and I think because it's getting lighter later. I don't think your dog would be a good outdoor dog. Well, I don't think ANY dog is a good outdoor dog. Dogs are meant to be part of your family and if Rocky has been part of your family this long, to relegate him outside would be cruel. He wouldn't understand. I personally crate my dogs when I'm not home, but if I'm home they are out and about. With hardwood floors, would a Swiffer work? Maybe if you could just Swiffer real quick and then do a good vacuum once a week might help the hair problem? I'd hate to see you get rid of such a precious family pet because of shedding. Good luck and you should post pictures of your boy!

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:24 AM

What type of food is your dog eating? Dogs on low quality food can often shed more.

And not to be rude or harsh, but it seems really unfair to get a dog, and then force him to live outside because he leaves hair in the house. It's one of those things that dogs do, like barking, digging, etc.
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

pets are for life (I think all of us on this forum will agree). Dumping a pet due to shedding is really inexcusable IMO. alot of ppl on this board are also involved in rescue and shelter work, and sadly, hear these rediculous excuses often. I understand that pet hair can be annoying, but most people find ways to deal with it, due to the love they have for their animals. dogs can be trained to lay in certain spot, to keep the fur in sort of one area (i.e. dog bed). You can also have the dog groomed more often, or you could do the grooming yourself to control the loose fur.

I think making your dog be an outside dog is in fact cruel. I think confining him to a crate because he sheds too much is also cruel.
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Put him on a high quality kibble with maybe some fish inside like canidae.
Also you can try giving the dog an egg once or twice a week and the occasional can of sardine it helps with the shedding and makes their coat shinier.
also, what brandynva said...a swiffer works wonder with dog hair.
Maybe you could teach him no to go in the living room or kitchen or any room you don't want lots of hair in.

"Ever consider what they must think of us I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul- chicken, pork, half cow. They must think were the greatest hunters on earth
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:01 AM

I agree that getting rid of a dog because of shedding is unacceptable. A pet is a lifetime commitment. And turning him into an "outside dog" is just as bad. A dog needs to be with his people... I absolutely second taking a look at what you feed him.

And, may I recommend you look into get a Roomba? You can run it every day, it really helps keeping hair under control. When Vega has a shedding phase, the amount of hair is absolutely staggering. But my Roomba helps make my life much better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roomba
Vega, the GSD - Husky mix
both from rescue, of course!!!
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Arrow Relax on the admonishment and scolding...

Thank you for some of your responses, they are apreciated, however, I feel the need to explain myself a little more to some others.

I have had dogs my whole life. Airdales mostly. When I heard that German shepherds shed, I thought, ok, a little shedding, I can deal with that. This is an enormous amount. I am definately not a person to ditch a dog or to be cruel...I was not going to crate my dog so he wouldn't shed. I was asking adivce as to what I can do for extreme cold alerts irf he was an outdoor dog.

Outdoor dogs are no less loved than indoor ones, especially on a property with 2 acres of land, a creek, wooded area and natural spring on it with an actively outdoor family. I have 2 kids that live outdoors in the summer and are nearly out as much in the winter, he would not be abandoned in any way shape or form.

He has a bed, he loves his crate, and no, we do not ever shut the door unless there is a person afraid of dogs in my home. I brush my dog regularily, that is not the issue here. If you have a GSD, then perhaps you will understand that everytime you touch the dog he sheds. Something new I have learned.

AS for Swiffering, that is done daily and one swiffer cloth is not enough for the family room, vaccumming is done every 2 days.

I love animals, but I love my husband and I will not put my children through argument after argument over this. My dog is important to me, but my family is my LIFE. I have never given a dog away etc.

If you want me to be honest and open in this forum then I will, if you want to offer advice, please do but If your only motivation for writing is to tell me that I am a horrible person or dog owner, then please refrain from posting.

I am not heartless or I would not be POSTING about this, I would have "gotten rid" of the dog already.
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Animal Lover

I'm sorry if my post came across as accusing. I in no way am accusing you of being a horrible dog owner, nor do I think anyone else here is. I'm just curious, what are they arguments about over the dog? I do happen to have a GSD mix and I know what you mean by shedding. I look down my hallway everyday and it is lined on both sides with dog fur and that is with the sweeping everyday. I also have 2 kids that I have to remind not to roll around in the floor in their school clothes because of the fur. I also keep a lint roller on hand and we all get "rolled" before walking out of the house. I guess it's just an accepted thing. I think you should try some of the food ideas listed. If you get the dog to shed a lot less would that motivate your family to want to keep him?

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Smile Thank you

It wasn't your post that upset me, yours was actually the one I was thinking. The arguments are simply that the house is a disaster because of hair and that my husband is embarrassed to have people over. Shedding is really the only thing. He can deal with the other stuff cause he loves me. He just can't handle the mess . He grew up in a home where a white glove test would NEVER fail.

Thanks. I will look into the food.

J
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Sorry but all dogs ( and cats) shed. It's part of who they are. Did you think your dog wouldn't shed at some point?? If your husband doesn't really like pets than everything your dog does will be annoying to him. Hey, my horses shed too. You cannot just put your dog outside after living inside. That is cruel and he wouldn't understand. He would be better off with a family who loves him, hair and all. I have 2 dogs who live inside, a Golden Retriever ( long hair) and a Boxer puppy who has very short hair and no undercoat. Guess what? My Boxer sheds as much as my Golden. His hair is much shorter but he sheds nonetheless. It's the time of year! Invest in a very good vacuumcleaner and vacuum every day, get a swiffer for the woodfloors but most of all, love your dog, hair and all, and learn to overlook things that cannot be changed, like shedding hair. Buy him very good kibble and add oil to his food every day. I give mine a tablespoon of Lipiderm once a day, but they still shed. Otherwise find a new home for your dog where he will be loved despite all that hair. The love our dogs give us far outweighs any hair on the floor. That is my humble opinion.
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:28 AM

What are you feeding your dog?

Sundanz, I feel your pain. We've got an Australian Shepherd mutty dog in the house, and her 5 inch long tail hairs end up even on top of the cabinets.
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

The shedding is tough! But a dog is a lifetime committment and as you have indicated you understand that! Personally if it comes down to it..please try to find a Forever Home where everyone will be happy with the outcome...You can contact me if you wish...I can refer you to a GSD rescue in Ontario.

Cindy
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Honest Contributor

I don't see what the problem would be to rehome this dog. Obviously he is loved but causing family arguments and distress, no doubt he will end up alone and chained in the backyard at some point of his life because face it, German Shepherds SHED THEIR WHOLE LIFE no matter what food you feed them, how much you brush them. Your boy will make your husband fail the "white glove test" each and every time, sounds like this is an OCD case and you can't change that behavior in a person.

Do yourself and the dog a favor, find him a loving family who doesn't care if he sheds in the house. and stick to fish for pets the next time.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Here is something i found very interesting. Do you know that the average human sheds over one hundred hairs a day???
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Putting him outside especially at this time of year, without having had a chance to acclimatize would be cruel , he has not developed the fat, foot pads, and coat necessary to be an outdoor dog, so he would suffer until he can acclimatize

THe other thing is he was raised indoors being part of an important member of a pack (your family pack), a dog forced out of a natural pack would be as a result of a grave misdoing so it serves as punishment, so in your dogs eyes so is no longer a member of a pack he also will feel he is guilty of something wrong with not understanding of what or why, he knows he has become and outsider to the pack no longer has importance, so a huge double hit emotionally for him, so he would go through grief much like you would if someone close to you died, Sure he may able to adjust and accept but what choice does he have in the matter, it would not be fair to him to put him through the h#ll of thinking he did something terribly wrong

If you have to choose at least find a GSD rescue for him, and let him become a full member of someone elses pack it will be tough even for him to adjust to without also also becoming a pack unto him and having to go thru the pain of adjusting to a climate he was not properly prepared for
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloneinluv View Post
It wasn't your post that upset me, yours was actually the one I was thinking. The arguments are simply that the house is a disaster because of hair and that my husband is embarrassed to have people over. Shedding is really the only thing. He can deal with the other stuff cause he loves me. He just can't handle the mess . He grew up in a home where a white glove test would NEVER fail.

Thanks. I will look into the food.

J
I can understand the mess! There are days my house smells like doggies and there is hair everywhere. I guess for some people that's hard to deal with. My husband is not a big animal lover and it took him a long time to adjust to the mess and hair everywhere. Fortunately we have brown carpet and our couches match my dog. lol You don't really SEE the hair until you stand up. If the dog is causing that much stress, I agree with TD. Perhaps another home that will provide with the love and care you want him to have would be best. That would certainly be better than putting him outside. Good luck on making the best decision for your family.

-Anonymous
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM

We have a new member here is reaching out for help. Please remember that we all come from different backgrounds, lifestyles and circumstances, and may not always agree with each other as to what our individual options are. If you have advice that may be of assistance, then please offer it. If you're only motivation for posting is to accuse and deride a member who is reaching out for help, then please move on. We are here for each other and our pets, and should keep that in mind whenever someone reaches out for help.

Your friendly neighbourhoood mod,

Ford.
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloneinluv View Post
The arguments are simply that the house is a disaster because of hair and that my husband is embarrassed to have people over.
Shedding is really the only thing. He grew up in a home where a white glove test would NEVER fail.
J
If your husband grew up in a home that is spotless than ANY dog would be a problem. Fish would be a good idea, no hair. BTW....just doghair alone would not create a DISASTER in your home, there must be other aspects that drive your hubby crazy.
My home, for instance is always clean despite 2 shedding dogs and I can have people over anytime. My dogs are not allowed in every room, the Den is off limits to them due to leather furniture, not because of hair. Our 11 year old grandson lives with us which would make us a 'normal' household. Have you taken your dog to the vet to find out why he sheds excessively? Could be a hormone/thyroid problem. But in reality, all dogs shed, regardless. If you really don't want hair in the house other than your own you might invest in a fishtank. ( I have that too), or a Lizard ( my grandson has one). Fish and Lizards don't smell, shed and are easy to take care of)
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:58 AM

Question OntarioGreys

I would never dream of putting him outside now. I would wait until spring/summer. He would have full use of the yard and my husband and I would make a large insulated dog house for him. Is there a way that you think I can ease the transition so that he can accept living outside and not feel too jilted. I can't bring myself to give him up. Am I just being selfish by trying to keep him? I feel the adjustment to outside, if it can be smooth would be a lot easier to deal with than meeting a new family and leaving us behind.

Please let mek now if you have ANY ideas.

Thanks VERY much.

J
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Sundanz

I have lived with Airedales most of my life....if they shed, you'd be hardpressed to find proof in a house where you vaccuum once a week so the "fact" that all dogs shed is something you should research more before coming down on me for my post. There are varying degrees of this.

The hair is the only disaster that my husband refers to. My house is otherwise immaculate. Your fishtank comment is offensive and uncalled for. I am asking for help to manage this and your comments are rude and offensive to say the least. If you have no adivice please refrain from posting to this thread anymore.
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Has there been any form of compromise with your husband at all??? or is outdoor dog the compromise???
I see no problem with him becoming a primarily outdoor dog ( come summer ) but as long as he is still allowed to be a part of the family at night or something??? I would just hate to see a dog who was such a close knit family member shunned and left to live outside because of nature...
I Have 4 dogs, all of whom can shed heavily at times. I understand your frustration as well as your husbands...
One of my dogs is primarily outside (by his choice) but he comes in at night... there are some summer nights that the dogs stay outside, and they survived.

If you do feel that its best to rehome your dog, be very picky on where he goes... I couldnt imagine rehoming my dogs and can only assume this is tearing your heart out. But ... if the dog is causing maritial problems and stress you both could end up resenting your dog.
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Thanks

The outdoor is the compromise and the more I push to keep him the more I see that it is probably more of the carrot dangling in front of the horse. It is breaking my heart! Rocky is the PERFECT dog. I am posting a pic (if I can figure this think out and unfortunately will probably need to rehome him. I just wish there was something else I could do. I just can't justify sacrificing my marriage for my dog, and I can't really believe it has come to this to begin with. I will never be able to be a dog owner again and that hurts my heart. I know my kids will be devastated but they are young enough (4 and 5) that I hope they'll get over it in time.

Thank you to those of you who offered support. I wish there was a way I could keep him but listening to everyone here I am realizing I am not a good mom for him. I hope someone will be able to give him the forever home I thought I had.

Jeanette
Attached Images

Old February 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM

He is a beautiful dog. I do think you would be selfish to keep him (to answer your question, not to be rude). I have a dog who would LOVE to be an outdoor dog but given the choice he would still rather to be near his people. I think lots of dogs can adapt to living outside for the most part (not in the type of weather we're having right now of course)- but I think that moving a dog used to living indoors outside would be a blow (like being thrown out of the pack). Another home is best IMO, especially if someone in the house resents him (I believe that dogs can feel this just as well as humans can, when they are not wanted). It would be easier psychologically for him to leave your 'pack' and join a new one than to be left out and have no one replace the companionship he is used to.

My husband grew up in a 'white glove' house too, and he can go back there(I'm sure his mom would love it) if he ever tried to make a comment about the hair or getting rid of the dogs . He never would, (he's much more likely to take care of the problem by vacuuming it up by ever saying anything and he loves the dogs as much as I do). I'm sorry that is not the case for you, it must be hard, but as others have said, I wouldn't get another dog in this situation.
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I have an American Eskimo so I know all about shedding. My dog is an indoor dog, despite loving his walks in the cold with me. There is not a chance that he would ever adjust to becoming an outdoor dog. Fortunately, I can live with the hair, as can my husband. I do understand that not everyone is able to deal with dog and cat hair - but to be truthful, when we had 4 short haired mini Dachshunds, we had hair everywhere as well, it wasn't just as obvious to the eye. Personally, I would try to find a new home for your dog as I think that the shedding situation is not going to resolve itself. I had one friend who refused to come to my house in case one dog hair landed on her. She did not drive but wanted me to take her places - but wanted my assurance that she would not pick up hair from our car. Well, the dog has to go in the car! So obviously this did not work out. I would not give your dog to anyone - perhaps ask your vet if he/she knows of a good family looking for a dog such as yours - I would not be surprised if he/she does. But, please, don't put your pup outside.
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:06 PM

I also have a German Shepherd so I understand the shedding. I also understand what may be acceptable and normal shedding for one person, may be over the top for another. First, I'd suggest a vet visit with blood panel done to make sure your Shepherd's shedding is in the normal range and there isn't a medical problem eg. thyroid, causing excessive shedding. As for leaving him to live outdoors, I think this is only a temporary solution to a long term problem for you. He may be fine outdoors all the time in the summer, but what will you do next winter? What about the summer/spring/fall days and nights with severe thunderstorms, what if he's scared, or doesn't like a dog house and refuses to use it leaving him out in the elements. Not to mention, with that large a property, there are no doubt, wild animals roaming at night. Skunks, racoons, beavers etc that can carry disease. Don't think they won't approach a dog, mine was attacked by a raccoon who had babies near by. I know you love your GSD, but sometimes, if you love them, you have to do whats best for them, and set your personal feelings aside. We owe them that. In your case, that may be contacting a GSD Rescue here in Ontario (I know and EXCELLANT one is a member here) and giving your boy the chance to have a loving family he can enjoy his life with, despite all he sheds. You can pm me if you'd like the rescues name. Your boy deserves a life without all the stress I'm sure he's feeling in the home, due to no fault of his own. Please think about it, like I said, making him live outside is only a temp solution with all considered.

Last edited by shannon1233A; February 7th, 2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Aloneinluv!

I dont think you are a bad mom! Sometimes in life we have to make some sad decisions! Even if Rocky could adapt outside which he probably could you have to think whether it will solve the problem or not? Even if he came inside at night you are still going to have to deal with the shedding? Also some may not agree on this but outdoor doggies tend to smell a bit? If hubby is having trouble with the shedding will he not have a problem with the "smell"?? or even things like fleas etc???

I agree with the Moderator here and that we all come to this forum for help! Sometimes people post things we do not really want to hear! but reading between the lines I see you love your dog and that you want to try to make everyone happy!

If you want PM me and I can put you in contact with someone to help you rehome your baby!

P.S My heart is bbreaking for you! I would not want to have to make this type of decision!!

Cindy
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I to have a huskey and the shedding is all the time (sometimes more than other) I do warn my friends not to wear dark colors if they come over if they don't like the hair, and i vaccum 2 a day in the bad times( talk about dust bunnies i think they are hair rabbit) lol, she spends time outside but still loves the house. as she is getting older she spends more time in than out. the hair can become overwelming but you do get use to it. if you see no other way out then please find a good home for him someone who does not mind the hair, he deserves it.
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

i have a 2 huskys (one is which a husky shepard cross) shedding can be a pain, but to be shedding that much seems to be abnormal. also this is going to come across as rude but if your marriage is in jepordy over dog hair are you sure there arent other problems that are being displaced on the dog? i know im probably crossing a line here but you are saying that hair is causing marital problems.

i have switched to a high quality dog food and it has helped with the shedding but sometimes at high shedding or blowing times we need to vaccum quickly in am and pm. and brush daily. it doesnt take too long if you stay on top of it.
also your dog is 1 year old can maybe hes having some hormonal or growth changes thats causing more shedding now than before? my one husky is starting to blow his undercoat right now and i understand when you use a brush to get the fur off of you and its back all over you the second you turn around it makes you wanna pull your hair out but i wouldnt want to give my dogs up because of it. think of it youve made it through chewing, house training, crazy teen year, you can find a way to make it through this
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Is there anyway to allow access to just part of the house with the use of babygates to allow him to have access to a couple rooms in the main living quarters, but say keep the entertaining areas off limits, it would be a better compromised than leaving the dog outside
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Senior Contributor

It seems to me there must be something you can do to keep your dog - because any way you look at it, this is a no win situation. (for the dog and less so for you , and I mean that in the best way - you will be able to live without the dog it seems (tho I know you will be heartbroken at first) but the dog will never understand why he was ditched like that.

I have a lab nephew dog - my brother's dog and have 4 cats who have short hair and while they shed, it is something I can live with. I also grew up with dogs and am used to them. My parents who are elderly now find it hard when we all visit with our pets so we clean up after them so my mom - now in her late 70's does not have to worry about the hair.

With the lab - when I lab sit. I think grooming often helps. I have even been able to put the vacuum right on him and get the hair. But he is a god - it is what he does, he sheds!

Is there no way your husband understands this? I guess I am having a hard time with that. Did you talk about this before marriage or getting the dog - if you have kids, did you get the dog post marriage? What about marriage counselling? (Tho I have to say most of the marriage counseling I hear about re animals is custody disputes).

I would use good food, lots of grooming and teach the dog to not go in certain rooms. "Our" lab for example will not enter the living room tho he does not like to be alone so we make sure someone is with him. He hates to be alone and GSD's are similar - I cannot imagine giving up the lab and I only see him when I have to "labsit". Washing and grooming the dog also helps.

Whatever you do, please don't make him into an outdoor dog - he is too accustomed to being with you now for that to work. It would be cruel even if unintended to be so.

I guess I just don't understand your husband. I can see why you think your husband might be more important tho in my family, the pets are equally loved as the humans. I just do not get why he has to be so picky about this. If he does have a problem - and I say this as a physician - like OCD or some other issue - could he work on that for you and the family he loves?

If he cannot - then I guess you have to make your sad choice. I can only tell you that if my husband had ever suggested getting rid of a pet, he would be told in no uncertain terms that counselling would be on the agenda. What happens if he decides he does not like children because they are messy? If he is that much of a picky and demanding person (and believe me, anyone who suggests getting rid of someone you love is asking way too much and is incredibly demanding), will there be other things that crop up later in the marriage later and the dog will be gone for no goof reason.

I think this is an issue you need to talk out with him and maybe even a counsellor. You are your own person and you need not give in to everything your spouse demands. It takes two to make a marriage and it seems like you are the one giving everything up. You are not a child who brought a pet home without permission - you are a grown woman who if she loves her dog will sit down and discuss the matter rationally.

Just my thoughts - and my background. Don't take it as criticism. I am a non judgemental person and I think everyone -even you - should have the right to stand up for your dog!