Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 17th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Advice needed- recourse with breeder

We brought home a 5 month only golden poo on thanksgiving from a woman who specializes in non-sheeding dogs. two days after bringing him home he was hospitalized in critical condition. Turns out he has Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy (HOD). First priority is getting him better and getting him home but wondering if we have any grounds for recourse with the "breeder".
thoughts?
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

You bought a dog from a byb of mutts,was there a contract?If yes,what does it say?
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Owned by goldens

Advice needed

Unfortunately someone who mixes two different breeds of dogs together to create a hybrid puppy cannot be considered a breeder. She is a backyard breeder. What many people do not realize is that a goldenpoo is not a breed of dog and is no different from a mutt. As for specializing in non-shedding dogs, there is no such thing. Some Goldenpoo's inherit the fur of the golden while others get the poodles fur. I have owned both breeds of dogs and both shed. A golden will of course shed more but when a poodle gets long it too will shed.
Back to the issue, I am sorry your pup is ill. I hope it will recover fully.
Did this lady have some sort of guarantee? Many times when dealing with someone of this nature the guarantee is that they will take back the pup and give you another one. Unfortunately the sick pup is often euthanized as it is cheaper than paying expensive vet bills to make it healthy.
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I just want to say ow sorry I am to hear of your dog's illness. Unfortunately, the breeder you bought this puppy from is not a qualified breeder recognized by any competent registry in North America so there is not much recourse other than the puppy lemon laws some states have but I don't know whether they refer to mixed breeds of illicit back yard breeders which is rather like buying an unregistered product at a yard sale except we are talking bout a live animal, sigh!!

I too have had poodles and labs and both shed. There is no scientific evidence -and I say this as a scientist who has read every journal article I can get my hands on re that subject - that demonstrate here is such an entity as a non shedding animal. Even we humans shed our skin- daily!

I am so sorry!!!! I hope this woman will help with your vet bills but the typical procedure is to give you a new puppy and eutheize the one that is ill. (A cruel choice, clearly). You could organize a pr campaign against her and go to the media in order to change the law but that is all I can think of at the moment.

My heart does go out to you. I am so sorry to hear that people are taken in by the alleged non allergic pets. It is all so much snake oil, sigh!(and in this case, heartbreaking as well)