Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 17th, 2007, 04:58 PM
~Cat Servent~

Fagan does have Spondylosis

ARgh!!! My poor little man , I stopped in at the vets today as I hadn't heard back yet and the other vet (not the one Fagan regularly sees) showed me his xray and the spots where the vertebrae have fused together and another spot where it is starting. :sad: And just when I've been having some success with Salmon oil for his skin issues. I am going to try putting the TriActa in some yogurt because it looks like he is going to need all the help he can get, he is only 3..... two bad knees and now a fused back too!

The good thing is he doesn't show any signs yet (other than when his knees go out) of slowing down or being in any pain. But cats hide that well too. So if any of you have any experience or have used something that helped, I'd love some opinions. I left a message with the girls so I am going to discuss the vitamin A with the vet, she had mentioned that when she said there was a possibility that he had the spondylosis.

Mainly I am just worried that if this causes him pain later or trouble with mobility that it may shorten his life, and that makes me so sad to know that could be a reality... I'll do whatever I can for him and that he has many many pain free years ahead.

I just need a hug...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry Fagan is having these troubles.

*sends you virtual hug*

Can your vet perhaps recommend an orthopedic vet for him? I worry so much about my two and their joints because they're always jumping on the bed (which is really high) then down, and up and down the cabinets. Next pay day I'm going to get them these pet stairs so that they can get up and down the bed easier.

Keep us posted. I'll keep my fingers crossed that there is something you can give him to help him heal and ease his pain.
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:04 PM

for you for Fagan

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/Spondylosis.htm

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:17 PM
-

Here it's the only thing I can do , I can't give you any advice , I don't know anything about this condition.
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, sorry to hear about Fagan. We're in the same boat--we have three dogs with spondylosis. The vets can give us little information about it, since the condition isn't widely screened for, but they're seeing enough of it now that they're looking for it to think that it's more common than formerly thought. Only one dog has been symptomatic so far--she crawled under a gate and bent her back at the place where the bridges were in the process of forming but had not yet stabilized. The resulting back pain necessitated a trip to the vet where the condition was found via xray. She was treated with an NSAID and rested for a couple of days and she's back to normal now. So far none of the dogs has had issues with nerves being squeezed at the foramen.

The good news is that they all developed it fairly young and are all quite athletic, yet have shown no symptoms (except for Cass's silly excursion under the gate giving her a backache for a while). But we still always have it in the back of our minds and hope it doesn't affect them too severely as they approach their golden years...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:41 PM
-

to you and to Fagan.

And under the heading of "it just goes to show"... I found Vets are all over the map on treatment: http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/ivapm...tiscat0507.htm
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:23 AM
~Cat Servent~

Aw thanks guys.... I did some research and I feel a bit better (and the hugs helped too... virtual or not! )

The vet figures that it may have been caused by his knee trouble and putting his weight from side to side, as well as when he was overweight for a year or so which caused and irritated the knee issues.

I read in that article Growler that Vit A can cause it?? I'll have to ask about that when the vet calls, cause I thought she said something about giving him more Vit A as a treatment option? So I see M3 what ya mean, that it is kinda all over the place.

And it is good to hear Hazel that your pups are doing well... and that they can heal when its injured. That was what I was afraid of.... he is so rambunctious sometimes, and I can see him breaking the bridge between or something. So far it is just one complete and one forming though.... and he seems bendy as ever so I'll just wait and see I guess.

I just worry that at 3 he's just got so much going on all at once... but if it gets bad when he's old and he gets all decreped... well hell I'll just carry him around on a pillow and take him to do his business!!! Anything for my little man. (well not sure about the ortho idea, we may not have the funds for that now.... but a stellar reason to start that cat emergency fund I've been meaning to for years now!)

Oh and thanks for that stairs idea Ancient.... thats awesome and would be great here... I think even my dad and I could make them!

I knew you guys would make me feel better!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:30 AM

when I read that ('bout the vit A) I went hmmmm seems way to many conflicting ideas out there about everything

I wonder if they have a test for vitamin amounts in the blood? I think there must be something - few years ago there was a huge thing about some food companies using too much vit D in their food, so maybe there is a test to determine how much he has in him. Or checking the nutrient analysis of his food to determine how much vit A he is receiving per day then the vet can better assess how much to give him

Old October 18th, 2007, 12:39 AM
~Cat Servent~

Oh ya and the vet that showed me the xray that 'its not like he's a performance animal (like a show dog)'.... and I thought 'man, you outta see him at dinner time'!!

Old October 18th, 2007, 12:42 AM

I'd have said "what's that supposed to mean?"

I think they all get the ies @ dinner if they're fed the good stuff they like......zoom zoom zoom

Old October 18th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Poor you, poor Fagan, here is a for you two.

This is the first I have ever heard of spondylosis but did find something on Vit A and this disease:

http://www.animalhealthcare.ca/conte...d=196&cat=cats

In this article, one of the sources of Vit A is sweet potatoes, which is being used as a filler in many higher quality cat foods. Wonder if this may be causing an increase in this disease in younger cats .

This is an old study but does point to Vit A toxicity from eating large amounts of liver causing this disease:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi....x?cookieSet=1
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:24 AM
~Cat Servent~

Thanks Love4... I read there that the Vit A issues can have an affect on eye/ skin and bone health... all of his major probs! He has the start of cataracts, skin issues and now spondylosis.... the only thing is I don't know if it was too much or too little A... conflicting views there. He has three siblings from the same litter all living with my family and none of them have any issues. (Course they were all fed different foods after I adopted them out.) The vet says its like people though, the majority of us don't get arthritis and the like until old age, but there are a few who deal with it at a young age, and are just unlucky.

It's not a problem yet, so I'm just reading up and will continue to do so until it warrants action, so that I have an idea of what to ask about when the time comes for meds etc....

Old October 18th, 2007, 11:44 AM

Hi Krdahmer
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. At 5 years old my Standard Schnauzer was diagnosed with spondylosis at the lower end of her spinal cord. She had presented with change in mobility-not jumping into car or going up stairs. Tried NSAIDS-didn't work. Was on Prednisone for about 5 months- she hasn't had any recurrence of her pain and is sooo active. I am giving her glucosamide/chondrition.
I will cross my fingers for your man fagan!! He sure is a lucky cat!
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:00 PM
~Cat Servent~

Just a little FYI, Fagan is doing great, his knees don't seem to be bothering him and his skin is healed and most of the fur is back (we had a another episode with the over grooming and salmon oil seems to be the trick!). And the other night he layed on my chest and rested his cheek on my cheek and slept for about 20 minutes like he used to... I was so happy I just about blubbered all over him!

And I have managed to get him to start taking the TriActa... he wouldn't take it in wet food and it didn't go well in water, and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of this sooner.... but he doesn't mind taking it at all now in yogurt. He's always like licking my spoon and I know its good for them to have a little, and it really hides the powder perfectly. I have to syringe feed it to him like his other meds, but he's so good with that too.

So just letting all you wonderfully supportive people know all is running smooth here for the time being....and thanks again for the info and good vibes!

Old October 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM
-

I somehow missed this thread....I think it was posted when I was awol for a week. I am sorry to hear about Fagans troubles. :sad: Have you ever had his Vitamin A levels checked?

Glad he is doing better and hope you can continue to keep things under control for him.
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:25 AM
~Cat Servent~

Ya the vet mentioned the Vitamin A, but said it is more likely that it is being caused by him favoring his knees... as they both take turns going out and cause him to limp on one side or the other, putting a lot of strain on his lower spine where the bridges are forming. Next time he's in I'll see about testing the A though thanks Rainbow... I didn't know that there was an actual test for it... blood test I imagine eh?

Oh and today I snuck in his hairball remedy with the yogurt and Tri-Acta... ha! I love that he doesn't mind the syringes... and once I get some in his mouth he actually almost sucks the rest out. Right now he is having a staring contest with a squirrel....