Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 18th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Halloween safety tips

I don't know if any of you get this newsletter, but I subscribe to About:cats. It has some interesting information on it and its a good read.

I found some of these safety tips for Halloween and cats. I think most of us know all of this, but its still interesting to read.

Halloween Safety Tips for Cats
From Franny Syufy,
Your Guide to Cats.
Stay up to date!
Keep Your Cats Safe While you Enjoy the Holiday

While black cats are relatively unsafe outside in October, Halloween poses a number of safety problems indoors, for all cats. Here are some tips for keeping your kitties safe, while celebrating the holiday, human-style.

The first five tips are courtesy of Steven May, noted animal expert. My comments are noted in italics, and additional tips are inserted from my own experience.

1. Hang Halloween Decorations High
Candy wrappers are very enticing for pets. The smell, the glitter and the taste! Pets can ingest wrappers and tinsel and develop an intestinal blockage. Keep all wrappers free from your pets during the holiday season.

2. Watch out for Easy Access Electric Cords
Halloween decorations can come with plenty of lights, so be careful and keep all electric cords free from access. Besides electrocution, burns of the mouth, tongue and gums can occur.

3. Keep Batteries Out of Sight. Batteries are wonderful toys for pets. Swatting them around can make quite the enticing game. Keep them clear from pets as the ingredients are toxic to pets and children.

4. Pumpkin Yum Yum is a No No
Even your carved pumpkin is a meal in itself. Because of the taste, pets love to play, chew and eat pumpkins. After sitting on your porch for days, the pumpkin can grow plenty of bacteria potentially causing intestinal inflammation, stomach upset and diarrhea. Canned (unsweetened) pumpkin is fine for a treat, as well as adding fiber to avoid constipation. If your cat is crazy for pumpkin, offer a teaspoon or two of the canned variety, to keep him away from your table decorations.

5. Store the Chocolate Away
Chocolate contains Theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine and Theophylline. A large amount of theobromine like 100-150 mg/kg can cause toxicity. Always seek your veterinarian’s advice when any quantity of chocolate has been ingested by your pets. It goes without saying that chocolate should be stored away year-round, out of reach of your cats and dogs.

6. Confine Cats on the Big Night
Ringing doorbells, loud shouts of "trick or treat," and an often-opened front door are all frightening to cats. Keep them safely locked in a bedroom as far away from the front door as possible. The last thing you'll want is a scared cat running out the door.

7. Save the Costumes for Humans and Dogs
While many dogs seem to enjoy wearing silly costumes and hats, cats have too much pride in their own luxurious coats to engage in such foolishness. Okay, try a t-shirt or hat for one quick photo, if you must, but let kitty glory in her unadorned beauty the rest of the time.

8. Forget the Candles
You'll find dozens of cute Halloween candles on the market. Buy them if you can't resist, but never light them when the cats are in the same room. Cats + fire spells potential disaster.

9. Keep Them Inside
This should go without saying. Cats can live happily indoors year-round, and it is especially important that they stay there on noisy, raucous holidays like Halloween New Year's Eve, and the 4th of July.

10. Think Flower Essences
If you have an especially nervous scaredy cat, consider using one of the flower essences designed for calming. Pet Essences Thunderstorm might be an appropriate one for Halloween. It contains Aspen, Impatiens, Red Chestnut, Mimulus, and other natural flowers, and is used to calm cats when exposed to loud noises and commotion. Buy Direct. (As a last resort, your veterinarian may prescribe a mild tranquilizer.)

Franny Syufy writes and manages the Cats section at About.com, part of The New York Times Company

Here's a link to the site, if you are interested in exploring it.

http://cats.about.com/
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:20 PM
-

Excellent tips!
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:59 PM
~and Trixie 2~

Yeah I heard on the radio that during the months of October and November places will not be allowing people to adopt black cats because of WEIRDO people who may do satanic rituals or hurt the cats just because it's halloween! I think it is just awful that people would even think of doing something to an innocent cat! I don't think I have to worry about that much since Mischa is an inside kitty, but it's still something to keep in mind. Thank you for the tips ancientgirl!

I did hear that on the radio so whether it's true or not...I'm not sure.
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Every day I learn how sick some people are. My two are indoors exclusively anyway, but its horrible to think these poor cats might be in extra danger because of a holiday.
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:09 AM
~Cat Servent~

mischa the rescues and HS here do that too, no black cats are adopted out without extra scrutiny around halloween because there are some real sickos out there.... and halloween is their favortie holiday.
And I would recommend to all who have any colour cat to keep them indoors on Halloween AND 'garbage/cabbage' night.... I have heard some really disgusting stories about what can happen. They may not be burning witches at the stake anymore but it seems cats are still fair game.

And those tips are great!... But for my cats sake and mine, I don't give out candy anymore. The doorbell makes them nuts and having candy in the house is just too tempting for me.... I sat out the last year I did hand them out and it was 'one for you one for me'.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M