Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM
A.K.A. Nellie's Mom

Thumbs up I need to get a dog gate - any recommendations?

Hi everyone,

I am getting my new puppy in 10 days. I wasn't orignially going to get a dog gate but she wont be able to hold her bladder long enough to stay in her crate for 4 hours at a time (while I'm at work).

Can any of you recommend a good dog gate? Is it worth it to spend the extra money to have a gate with the swing door included so that you dont have to remove the gate each time you want to go into a room?Like this one. I was also looking at this one.

Any advice? I'd really appreciate it!

Southern Ontario, Canada

http://www.josdesigns.com/Nellie
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

what kind of dog are you getting? i think the size and breed really determine what type of gate is best.

it'd be silly to spend alot on a gate if you dog will jump or climb right over it... and trust me, it happens. i put up a gate, 3ft, like the 2nd one you posted, and my dog climbed it first, then jumped right over it. I only used it to contain him when he was supervised. I crated instead, and rearraged my work schedule to let the pup out every couple hours.

I've seen dogs jump right over gates, large dogs knock down gates, some small dogs can climb gates, etc.. gates are GREAT, but some training is needed along with it I think.

The other gate I have is a home-made gate of solid wood. that one worked best. no holes in it to climb up, it's a smooth flat surface, can't knock it down (it's screwed to the wall on one side, and hinged on the other, so it swings open/closed, and has a latch to hold in place)
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Your wheaton should be okay with either of those gates.

I have two gates and they are regular baby gates not pet gates.
One is mounted on the wall to divide my kitchen from the hallway( it's a large space not realy a doorway) and the other blocks the hallway to create a safe but confined area when needed.

If I had the money I would go for the one with the doorway because I think it would be easier to go in and out without having to confine the pup first.

I am also getting a new puppy soon and I have a pen thet Petcetera sells that I plan to set up as a safe place to leave her and to create distance from the other dogs until they can get better aquainted.

Good luck with your pup.

Spelling is an option
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:08 AM
A.K.A. Nellie's Mom

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76 View Post
what kind of dog are you getting? i think the size and breed really determine what type of gate is best.

it'd be silly to spend alot on a gate if you dog will jump or climb right over it... and trust me, it happens. i put up a gate, 3ft, like the 2nd one you posted, and my dog climbed it first, then jumped right over it. I only used it to contain him when he was supervised. I crated instead, and rearraged my work schedule to let the pup out every couple hours.

I've seen dogs jump right over gates, large dogs knock down gates, some small dogs can climb gates, etc.. gates are GREAT, but some training is needed along with it I think.

The other gate I have is a home-made gate of solid wood. that one worked best. no holes in it to climb up, it's a smooth flat surface, can't knock it down (it's screwed to the wall on one side, and hinged on the other, so it swings open/closed, and has a latch to hold in place)
I am getting a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. They are supposed to be pretty crafty, so she might be able to find her way out, but I will only be using it for a couple months until she is able to hold her herself in the crate. They are known for jumping though but you never know.

It is basically going to be a safe place for her to be where she will be able to eliminate while we are not home. I am crate training her but I don't want to place her in a situation where she has no choice to soil her bed because she can't physically hold it.

A pen is another good idea.

Thanks for the advice.

Southern Ontario, Canada

Old January 16th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

awwwwww! be sure to post pics when you get her!

I agree, gating is totally necessary sometimes! it just makes me laugh when you gate, and then they're up and over it in a matter of seconds....

good luck w/ your new pup! (and don't foget we need pics)
Old January 16th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I never met a gate that my 10 lb. mini Dachshund couldn't climb over in his lifetime - and when we adopted our Eskimo, who at the time weighed 11 lbs., he hauled himself up and tumbled over it in 2 seconds flat. As for Wheatens, well, there are a couple at my dog's weekly socialization class - they say "hello" when my guy arrives by bouncing up and down - I can see their heads over the 3/4 high (to me - I am 5'8") gate. So I think it will be a matter if new pup decides to "respect" the gate. Good luck!
Old January 16th, 2007, 12:52 PM

I know a couple of people with Wheatens, and one with a Wheaten/Poodle mix... and all I can say is, don't spend a ton of money on the gate! The ones I know think nothing of hopping right over them (or in the case of the young one, climbing right over!). I have a 5 month old Jack Russell, and the Wheatens I know are just as energetic and jumpy as mine is!
Old January 16th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Animal Lover

Argh! I just typed out a long post and accidentally closed the window.

As I was typing...

I can't help you too much with how much your breed will jump or whatnot, but I did just purchase a gate for our own brood. Here are my findings.

The first gate you posted is $10 cheaper at Toys R Us.com. I looked at that one and the reason I didn't buy it was because the gate is operated by a foot pedal. I didn't think it would take long for the animals to figure out how to operate that pedal, or to even accidentally step on it. I got one at Toys R Us for $34.99 that is hands free, but it latches at the top. It's a nice sturdy gate and will swing both ways, or you can put a stop on it so it will only swing one way. Great for stairways. Anyway, here are a couple of links for you. Good luck!

Here's the one you were looking at:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=search

Here's the one we bought. Make sure to read the reviews. Many mention pets.

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old January 16th, 2007, 05:55 PM
A.K.A. Nellie's Mom

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76 View Post
awwwwww! be sure to post pics when you get her!

I agree, gating is totally necessary sometimes! it just makes me laugh when you gate, and then they're up and over it in a matter of seconds....

good luck w/ your new pup! (and don't foget we need pics)
Yea I'm sure that will be the case jessi76. I have actually made Nellie (my new puppy) her own web site. http://www.josdesigns.com/Nellie. There are lots of pictures on there of her at 4 weeks and 6 weeks with many more to come.

Southern Ontario, Canada

Old January 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM
A.K.A. Nellie's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandynva View Post
Argh! I just typed out a long post and accidentally closed the window.

As I was typing...

I can't help you too much with how much your breed will jump or whatnot, but I did just purchase a gate for our own brood. Here are my findings.

The first gate you posted is $10 cheaper at Toys R Us.com. I looked at that one and the reason I didn't buy it was because the gate is operated by a foot pedal. I didn't think it would take long for the animals to figure out how to operate that pedal, or to even accidentally step on it. I got one at Toys R Us for $34.99 that is hands free, but it latches at the top. It's a nice sturdy gate and will swing both ways, or you can put a stop on it so it will only swing one way. Great for stairways. Anyway, here are a couple of links for you. Good luck!

Here's the one you were looking at:

Here's the one we bought. Make sure to read the reviews. Many mention pets.

Wow! You have me convinced! I am going to check out the Zellers here as I have a $50 gift card that I could use to go towards it. If they don't carry it I will probably order it online or try to find it in the store (Im always weary of shipping charges and customs). It got great reviews from everyone through which is great for something so inexpensive.

Thanks for writing out your post again. It was very helpful!!!

Southern Ontario, Canada

Old January 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Animal Lover

I'm so glad I could be of some help! I did a lot of research too before I bought mine. I love it. I'm not sure what Zeller's is, but good luck and let us know how it works out!

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Owned by goldens

dog gate

Personally with a young pup I would use a crate. Buy it big enough so that if your pup has to go it can at one end then sleep at the other. It is not an ideal situation but leaving a young puppy free in your kitchen could mean some damage and possible injury to itself if it happens to chew on kitchen cabinets, chairs or table legs.
A co-worker has a Wheaton and she is a very active dog.
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

personally I'd NEVER encourage a pup to "go" in it's crate. if you intend to crate this really defeats the purpose, and can ruin the whole crate idea altogether. Instead, you can provide a large crate w/ a divider, so you can gradually increase the size as your dog grows, but put a large x-Pen around the crate. leave the crate door open and put pee-pads OUTSIDE the crate, the pup is still contained and safe, and doesn't have to soil the crate.
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:51 PM
A.K.A. Nellie's Mom

Smile

Yea I don't want her to go in her crate at all unless it is at night and I can let her out to pee. I don't want her to get into the habbit of peeing in her crate. I feel as though she would be safe in my kitchen as there is nothing in there for her to get into. And if she does end up chewing my cabinets somehow it's just a great reason to replace them! haha

This will only be for her first 2 months at home until she is physically cabable of holding her bladder long enough to withstand me being at work.

Thanks for your advice though

Southern Ontario, Canada

Old January 18th, 2007, 02:43 AM

Don't spend too much on it my poodle weighs about three pounds and she can jump into my arms from the ground im 5'5. Since shes a puppy it will confine her for a bit but not to long.
Lady the cocker spaniel mix ??? 3-5 years old

Cats
Felicity the grey medium haired cat 3 yrs
Hope the calico 4 years
Marco the tabby cat 9 years
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Owned by goldens

Baby gate

I wouldn't encourage my puppy to go in their crate either but a young pup can get through a gate and get himself into a lot of trouble. REcently on another forum a puppy did just such a thing. $4000.00 later and after almost dying he is recovering from major surgery to remove a small sock and a number of other things that he got into when he wasn't being watched. You may not mind him eating your cabinets but what if he eats the cupboard?
I foster dogs and have a gate in my kitchen. Many will not go through the gate but others will crash right through it as if it wasn't ther.
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:19 AM
A.K.A. Nellie's Mom

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
I wouldn't encourage my puppy to go in their crate either but a young pup can get through a gate and get himself into a lot of trouble. REcently on another forum a puppy did just such a thing. $4000.00 later and after almost dying he is recovering from major surgery to remove a small sock and a number of other things that he got into when he wasn't being watched. You may not mind him eating your cabinets but what if he eats the cupboard?
I foster dogs and have a gate in my kitchen. Many will not go through the gate but others will crash right through it as if it wasn't ther.

Well I have 10 days at home with my new puppy before I go back to work. So I will be able to see how she behaves with the gate and can determine if it will be appropriate for her or not. Nobody plans to have something go wrong (like the poor dog that almost died) but everyone does their best to ensure the safety of their pets. There really isn't a right or wrong way to do something. A girl at my work gave me an old baby gate so I don't need to buy one anymore. Hopefully Nellie will be a good dog and will not get into trouble

Southern Ontario, Canada

Old January 19th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Hi
I always used (and still use) gates around the house to confine the dogs. I have a labx and a boxer. The lab tried to climb it a few times and once pulled it down on himself- he never touched it again. My boxer is a bit timid and has never challenged it (although she could easily jump a 5 ft fence). The advice about the dog respecting the gate is right. I am not suggesting scaring the *** out of your little guy! but that is what, in the end, worked accidentally for us.
The best gates we have were bought at Zellers for 29.99 (maybe they are 35 now). They can be fixed in the doorway or use pressure to stay up, depending how you want. DON"T get the wooden accordion type- ouch! (oh I see you already have one now).
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Hubby made this gate from a salvaged folding door. It is held simply by a piece of strapping along the doorjam.

Angie J