Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 11th, 2011, 03:15 PM

Bored Border Collie

Hey guys,

I'm brand new here and a new dog owner - My fiancee and I got a border collie/black lab mix when he was 8weeks old and quickly saw how MUCH of the border collie was in him. He picked up on ANYTHING we taught him (be it potty training, tricks, etc.) right away, loved to herd/run etc. and was rarely tired.

Now that he's 7 months old we're finding it difficult to keep him entertained. We have him in "Puppy Classes" once a week (with the hopes of getting him into agility - but you have to go through the lower levels first), we take him for AT LEAST one-one hour+ long walk each day (most days it's two-one hr+ long walks) which consist of him being off-leash, running around and playing frisbee 95% of the time we're out (we live down the street from an off-leash nature path that leads to the lakefront) and I usually play fetch/do some indoor training with him in the house on a daily basis quite a bit - and he STILL doesn't tire and constantly wants to be doing something.

If you don't keep him entertained - he'll bring his toy-of-choice to you and place it in your lap and bark until you play with him. We've tried correcting him, tried letting him play the backyard with the other pup, tried getting interactive games to keep him mentally stimulated (he figured them out within 5 minutes and then was bored with them) etc.

If you have annnnnnyyyy ideas on keeping him entertained PLEASE share - it's frustrating because, as much as we love him, we don't have the time to play 24/7.

Thanks in advance for your help =)
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

could you feed him his meals in a kong? or those balls that they have to roll around to get the feed out? I have a VERY active labX and I have the kong wobbler that I fill when I leave the house or when Im busy at something and it keeps her entertained for awhile

http://www.kongcompany.com/kongwobblervideo.html
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Does he have a treat ball? I have a doggy pyramid for my dog, there's also a new kong one out. I like those for icky weather days and stuff like that. I just put her kibble in it and reduce the amount she gets for her dinner. She spends quite a bit of time playing with it. Keeps her busy for awhile.

Maybe teach him a 'place' command so you can tell him to go to his place and he has to stay there as long as you tell him to. Be handy for agility when he needs to stay on the table.

hehe Melinda, I guess I was writing and you were posting
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
Does he have a treat ball? I have a doggy pyramid for my dog, there's also a new kong one out. I like those for icky weather days and stuff like that. I just put her kibble in it and reduce the amount she gets for her dinner. She spends quite a bit of time playing with it. Keeps her busy for awhile.

Maybe teach him a 'place' command so you can tell him to go to his place and he has to stay there as long as you tell him to. Be handy for agility when he needs to stay on the table.

hehe Melinda, I guess I was writing and you were posting
can you tell we both have "busy" dogs?? *L*
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:01 PM

I also recommend the kong wobbler, or freezing his meals in a kong (or multiple kongs of different sizes-this is what I do for my younger dog). Also, the place command is a good one! I use "on your mat" or "in your bed". So handy! Also, if you use "on your mat" this can be used anywhere-visiting people, camping, etc ec, just bring him a mat, towel, something to mentally "tether" him to.
Alternately, you can toss him his kibble one at a time. Time consuming, but good if you're reading, doing homework, etc.
And there are toys you can get where they take things out of stuff, or put blocks in and get treats as a reward.
Keep teaching him tricks too...keep his mind busy. Anything you can think of! And start putting tricks together in sequences.
Also, you may have to consider just getting up earlier in the morning to exercise him. When my (now geriatric) male was younger, he needed about SIX HOURS of running EVERY day (not a border collie, he's a Ridgeback/lab cross). I used to get up at 3:30 or 4 in the morning and take him out. Rollerblading or biking with them is an excellent way to tire them out, although you'd need to wait a little longer for those until his bones and joints are done developing.
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

yup Melinda, but she's 5 now so she's learned how to turn it off! Mind you she certainly has no problem switching on!!
Old April 12th, 2011, 03:01 PM

Border collies are definitely very active dogs!

As the others have mentioned a Kong wobbler is a great device to stimulate them, my border collie loves his! Also a regular kong frozen with different things in it can stimulate him, you can google good recipes for these. Lots of short training sessions will engage his mind around the house. Since you say the border collie is prevalent in your pup, you should look in to doing herding classes when he is around a year old. I am putting my pup in herding training over the summer, from other BC owners they say there is nothing better than doing their natural job to tire them out!

Lots and lots of exercise will also be necessary for your pup. He may need 3, 1 hour walks each day, i know that seems like a lot but when you are dealing with such a high energy breed it is necessary. Lots of off leash play with other dogs is another great way to drain energy. Enzo will tire out 3 or 4 other dogs before you see him actually start to get tired. They honestly do calm down as they get older and more mature

Change the way you look at things and the things around you change