Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old April 16th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Circling and circling

My beloved Siamese of 15yrs has started to circle whenever she sets off on a journey. When she travels between the bathroom (where her litter box is) to the livingroom she hugs the wall of the hallway. Always keeping the wall on her left side. The circling is alway done to the left as well. Could she have suffered a stroke? Sure hope someone has an answer to this. She is in excellent health otherwise..her intake of food and output of same is great. No weight loss, eyes are clear but seems to lack energy as well.
Thanks, KissnKittn
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi KissnKittn,

I think it would be a really good idea to take your kitty to the vet ASAP. It could be a stroke or any number of things and the sooner she gets treatment, the better. How long has she been like this?

Here is a link for you to read: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...EVetID=3001459

Quote:
How to Tell if There Has Been a Vascular Accident

The pet with sudden neurologic symptoms could very well be a victim of vascular accident but may also have suffered some other condition such as: head trauma, metabolic disease, poisoning, cancer, or even infection or inflammation. The first step is going to be basic metabolic blood and urine testing plus a measurement of blood pressure. Other tests may be indicated depending on the patient’s specific history and the initial test findings.
Good luck! I hope she's back to normal soon.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:03 AM

Good luck at the vets

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:51 AM

Thank you

We will be calling her Doctor tomorrow, he is a home care vet that specializes in treating animals that hate going to the doctor's office. She tolerates him so unless he wants to move on to the office I think we will avoid the stress those visits cause her. So glad we found your web site, you confirmed what I have been suspecting for the past 3 days. We have twice almost lost our kitty to other health problems and each time she survived when everyone had pretty much given up hope so fingers crossed this is a third time lucky. Will keep you posted on our progress through this latest of adventures she is taking us on. Thanks so much for your prompt reply and kind words.
Meow, KissnKittn
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I will be that your kitty will be ok.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean by circling. Little tiny circles to the left? That doesn't seem possible if there is always a wall on her left. Or do you mean circling the rooms in your house?

Our 17 year old has been doing the latter for a year. Other than some arthritis and increasing deafness there is nothing physically wrong with her. She circles the route from kitchen to hall to living room to dining room to kitchen. Over and over.

We think there is some kind of dementia going on because she also HOWLS. Not just because she is deaf and can't hear herself but inappropriately. Like, she'll jump up on the chesterfield, face the back and HOWL. We'll yell at her (we have to, to be heard) GINGER, and she'll turn to look at us with a face that seems to say, "oh, there you are." Right where we were all along.

I will be interested to hear what your Vet says too. Good wishes.
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope the vet give you good news about your siamese, KK! Please let us know what he says!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:55 PM

I have a friend with a senior pup who does the same thing - he's losing his sight and uses the wall as a guide.......maybe it's something as simple as that?

Good luck at the vet!

"The Kids"
~Corkie - Tuxedo, at the bridge (probably hogging the sunbeam)
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
~Jollip - Senegal Parrot, 13 yrs
~Yeti - Himalayan, 12 yrs
~Pepin - Silver Martin/Dwarf Rabbit, 8 yrs