Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 12th, 2005, 09:10 PM

Is Medi-Cal Gastro suitable for life?

I have a question for those who are familiar with Medi-Cal Gastro canine formula dry dog food.

I have two Italian Greyhound pups and they have been on Innova Puppy food since we got them. For some reason, the girl seems great on this food, and the boy seems to have diarrhea/ loose stool quite frequently.

Recently, we came home and found that the boy had some blood in his diarrhea as well, and took him to emergency vet care.

The vet did a fecal test for parasites which came back negative. She then gave him ten days of medication (Flagyl) and a new dog food to try for awhile until his tummy settled down. The food was Medi-Cal Gastro.

For the first time since he came home, boy puppy had solid stool consistently. As we slowly switched back to Innova, as the vet recommended (mixing slowly), the loose stool returned.

So, here's my question. Is it okay to keep him on Medi-Cal Gastro for his whole life? Is it possible he is allergic/ sensitive to something in the Innova? My vet said Innova was the best possible food there was, but it doesn't seem to be agreeing with his tummy... and is it unhealthy for him to go through life with loose stool all the time? Is the nutritional value in Medi-Cal Gastro comparable? I read the ingredients and visited their webpage... and they brag about being a low-fat food, which is probably normally a very good thing. But, for a skinny little Italian Greyhound, this is something that worries me a little. He could stand to have a little more meat on his bones!

Also, has anyone out there ever had two dogs on two different diets? (I can just imagine how difficult it's going to be to keep them from eating each other's food. As it is, they want EVERYTHING the other has, whether that's a toy, a vaccination, or an eyedropper full of Flagyl!! )

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Lisa

PS: Should we go back to the vet for more advice? Can she test him for food allergies?
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:30 AM

Innova can be too high in protein for some doggies (especially the Evo). The ingredients in Medi-cal foods are not great, but they are balanced for better digestion. What I would do is try a food that is a bit lower in protein (below 26%), with different sources of protein (like fish or bison, other than poultry) and see what happens then. I wouldn't leave them on either the Medi-cal or the Innova for life- I'd find a food that has ingredients I agree with and that both doggies are healthy on.

Last edited by Prin; June 13th, 2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Owned by goldens

Dog food

I have heard from a few people about problems their dogs had while on Innova. Some have life long problems, whether it was caused by the food or aggravated by it will never be known. They have spent thousands of dollars on vet bills, medication and now finding a food that their dogs will tolerate. It is a very rich food and while probably excellent for your breed of dog may be too rich for your guy.
When I was switching my dogs I went to a store that turned out to be a distributor for Innova. While chatting with one of the employees who was pushing Innova I asked him if any of his dogs had problems with the food. He admitted that his Great DAne had bloody diarrhea during the switch.
I opted to try Solid Gold, Wolf King on my dogs. It took a few months but my dogs have the most beautiful coats. I am very pleased with this food. I found a man that sells it for reduced costs (he is a distributor) and he told me a Greyhound rescue buys Solid Gold for their dogs. I know it is not the exact same breed but maybe if you tried it on your guy it would help.
As for feeding different dogs different foods, it works out. Last year I was feeding 3 dogs 3 different foods. I labelled each container and scooped the food out before putting it down. Thankfully the kibbles were different and I eventually learned to identify each one.
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Sam was on gastro food for a week to help with a tummy problem he was having

honestly I dong think a dog would be happy on gastro food for life.

first off its made to be bland, that cant be fun for the dog, and secondly I found sam was constantly hungry when he had the gastro food.

sure it helps tummy problesm and firms up poops, but I really think its a short term fix.

the real fix is finding a high quality food the dog can stomach.

i second all the suggestions others have made.

with sam all it took was switching his food to soemthign with a different proteine souce.

apparently he cant stomach chicken

so now hes on a lamb formula for food

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I opted to try Solid Gold, Wolf King on my dogs. It took a few months but my dogs have the most beautiful coats. I am very pleased with this food.
Me, too. It is supposedly for large breed doggies, but I don't think it makes too much of a difference if your doggy is active (food has more cal/cup so big dogs eat less). They also have "Just a Wee Bit" for little dogs, but it's way more expensive.

My doggies are doing so well on the Solid Gold and I can't imagine switching them back, even if I can barely afford the food (Yey to being a student )
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Thank you, all. I will definitely begin the search for a food that is easier on Pup's tummy, other than the Gastro formula. Thanks for the recommendations. A good place to start!

~L
Old June 13th, 2005, 02:24 PM

Feeding different foods

We have been doing this since March. We have a senior and a puppy, both using Nutro formulas. Maggie, the senior, will eat whatever she`s given, Lola, the pup, favors the senior formula (and cat food!) and gets possessive of whatever dish she`s eating out of. We keep Maggie`s dish put up until she`s ready to eat. As long as she`s eating Lola won`t bother her, but as soon as she steps away Lola is right there finishing what is left. Its kind of a pain, paying attention to which dog is in the house and which dish is out, but is getting better; Lola used to try stealing Maggie`s food *while* she was eating.

I think you`ll have to plan on feeding them separately until you can find a food they will both do well on. Good luck!
Old June 13th, 2005, 03:22 PM

LOL. Both the pups have "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome and always want to eat out of each other's dishes!!

The girl is on glucosamine for her joints following surgery for luxating patellas. We have to grind the glucosamine into her food to get her to eat it. And, get this! We then put her dish in HIS food tray and his dish in HER food tray. This seems to ensure that each will eat the right food! Reverse psychology in action. This is about to get a whole lot more complicated, perhaps, but we'll keep working at it.
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Hi Lisa

Lisa i read your post, and i also have a couple Itallian Greyhounds, they.re tummys can be very sensitive, i have one that can pretty well eat anything and the other one, if she eats anything besides what the vet precribed for her she gets very very sick. This has been an ongoing problem with my older Itallian Greyhound since she.s been a pup, she is now 5 yrs old, and i have gone through so many types of food and spent thousands of dollars getting her treated and on different types of diets from the vets and from the natural pet food places. When she gets into any food , besides her own food, she is so sick, she gets bloody diareha, as well as vommits at the same time, this can last for two days, till i get some meds into her, i used to end up taking her to the vets all the time to get hydrated from the bloody diareaha. now i watch her like a hawk, she only eats Prescription ID(canned) from the Vets, i know its not the greatest food, but its the only food, where her stools are solid and she stays healthy and happy, and believe you me , ive experimented with all kinds of things in the last several years, she cannot even eat a treat, bone, greenie, no types of table food AT ALL.. nothing and i mean nothing, it just saddens me that i have to keep her on prescription Id which is basically bland chicken and rice, and it does have grain in it which i dont really like, but i have no idea what to give her anymore, its the only food that doesnt make her ill.

Anyway i thought i would share my story on my Itallian Greyhound Matisse. what a great dog she is, with the most senstive tummy going..but she.s happy as long as she.s not sick, thats for sure..
Razz
p.s if you find a food that doesnt give her bloody diareaha stick with it..when u hear that stomach start to gurgle, get ready for two day or more of going through hell, its terrible..watch for the signs , you.ll get to know them very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa-lisa View Post
I have a question for those who are familiar with Medi-Cal Gastro canine formula dry dog food.

I have two Italian Greyhound pups and they have been on Innova Puppy food since we got them. For some reason, the girl seems great on this food, and the boy seems to have diarrhea/ loose stool quite frequently.

Recently, we came home and found that the boy had some blood in his diarrhea as well, and took him to emergency vet care.

The vet did a fecal test for parasites which came back negative. She then gave him ten days of medication (Flagyl) and a new dog food to try for awhile until his tummy settled down. The food was Medi-Cal Gastro.

For the first time since he came home, boy puppy had solid stool consistently. As we slowly switched back to Innova, as the vet recommended (mixing slowly), the loose stool returned.

So, here's my question. Is it okay to keep him on Medi-Cal Gastro for his whole life? Is it possible he is allergic/ sensitive to something in the Innova? My vet said Innova was the best possible food there was, but it doesn't seem to be agreeing with his tummy... and is it unhealthy for him to go through life with loose stool all the time? Is the nutritional value in Medi-Cal Gastro comparable? I read the ingredients and visited their webpage... and they brag about being a low-fat food, which is probably normally a very good thing. But, for a skinny little Italian Greyhound, this is something that worries me a little. He could stand to have a little more meat on his bones!

Also, has anyone out there ever had two dogs on two different diets? (I can just imagine how difficult it's going to be to keep them from eating each other's food. As it is, they want EVERYTHING the other has, whether that's a toy, a vaccination, or an eyedropper full of Flagyl!! )

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Lisa

PS: Should we go back to the vet for more advice? Can she test him for food allergies?
Old December 11th, 2007, 11:02 AM

I also have a dog with a pretty sensitive stomach. He's on Orijen right now, but I went through a bunch of different brands before finding one that worked for him. I had thought chicken was the issue, but it's pretty impossible to know without doing an elimination diet. I ended up on Solid Gold Barking at the Moon for him. It's higher protein, but I wanted to try something that was a different protein source and grain-free to knock out both possible issues at once. If you want to try a grain-inclusive kibble, I like the Solid Gold line a lot (although the Wolfking gave a friend's GSD very bad gas...maybe the bison was too rich for that dog?). If you have access to California Natural, their products are nice because they have fewer ingredients (they're also made by Innova) and are good for dogs with food issues. Their Herring and Sweet Potato or Lamb and Rice might be worth a shot. If you want to try a grain-free, Taste of the Wild and Natural Balance both have formulas with novel and moderate level protein sources.

I also feed both my dogs different kibbles. I have two separate air-tight plastic containers that I keep labeled. Then I feed them separately and no issues
Old December 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

This is an OOOOOOOLD thread, I don't think Lisa-Lisa is around anymore!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."