Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

When you become frustrated with a dog - YOU STOP. Period. End of discussion. At the point he become frustrated, he should have handed the dog back to the owner and offered to try again away from the crowd. You can not accomplish any type of training with a dog that is stressed out and you are frustrated. It is like arguing with a toddler over a piece of candy.

AT NO POINT SHOULD A CORRECTION FOR A SIT INVOLVE LIFTING A DOG'S FRONT FEET OFF OF THE GROUND.

A dog with dog aggression issues should never have been in the situation to start with. It should have been worked one on one away from other dogs until it could focus on the handler in that crowd.

Sorry, but you are not going to convince me that he is a good trainer. Especially after hearing some of his other advice which includes hitting a dog to teach it.
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=LavenderRott;801259]When you become frustrated with a dog - YOU STOP. Period. End of discussion. At the point he become frustrated, he should have handed the dog back to the owner and offered to try again away from the crowd. You can not accomplish any type of training with a dog that is stressed out and you are frustrated. It is like arguing with a toddler over a piece of candy.

AT NO POINT SHOULD A CORRECTION FOR A SIT INVOLVE LIFTING A DOG'S FRONT FEET OFF OF THE GROUND.

A dog with dog aggression issues should never have been in the situation to start with. It should have been worked one on one away from other dogs until it could focus on the handler in that crowd.
QUOTE]

I have to agree 100%.
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Geek Club CEO

I was looking for the whole video, I'm glad you posted an account, LynneB.

I was curious what happened between him saying "you're annoying" and him smacking the dog. I THOUGHT I caught what seemed to be the very tail end of an open-mouthed lunge by the dog handled by Brad, towards the dog handled by the woman in the grey hoodie (who, incidentally, appears to knee her own dog in the head, although she may have intended to block "Brad's" dog, hard to say). It seems that was the case after all.

I have to say, if my dog lunged to bite at another dog, she would be corrected also. I still don't agree with the smacking of the nose, but a leash correction would be completely appropriate IMO.

I also have to agree that lifting the dog up on his hind feet with the collar is not appropriate or safe. Lifting a dog by his chest with your own arms to stop a dog fight is another thing entirely. I do not think that a dog should have sustained pressure on the neck by any kind of training tool.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
I also have to agree that lifting the dog up on his hind feet with the collar is not appropriate or safe. Lifting a dog by his chest with your own arms to stop a dog fight is another thing entirely. I do not think that a dog should have sustained pressure on the neck by any kind of training tool.
Actually, I have to disagree with you here. If two dogs are fighting, it's dangerous to reach around one of their chests, as your hand is getting in the middle, and your face would be near the focus of the fight, and you could get seriously hurt. Also you'd be bent over and off balance, and you may not be able to separate them. I've never heard Brad comment on this in particular, but I read somewhere that you could get them apart by grabbing a back leg and then moving backwards in a circle to prevent the dog from reaching behind and biting you, but I have no idea if this is a good way to do it or not. It would have been better probably if Brad would have grabbed the collar instead of pulling with the leash, but maybe it happened too quickly and he wanted to interrupt before it got too serious. Either way the dog was hanging in the air for what, 3 or 4 seconds? When my dog was a puppy, he would choke himself more than that by just being excited to greet a dog and lunging towards them. I know I know, it's not the same thing, but I guess I just don't get why people think that it's so horrible. If you balance that vs. not acting quickly enough and the other dog getting a serious bite, would you rather the other dog get hurt vs. the attacking dog hanging in the air for a few seconds? It's hard to know the "right" reaction right in that moment, even for a trainer with experience.
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne_B View Post
If you balance that vs. not acting quickly enough and the other dog getting a serious bite, would you rather the other dog get hurt vs. the attacking dog hanging in the air for a few seconds? It's hard to know the "right" reaction right in that moment, even for a trainer with experience.
I think the most responsible action a handler should make in a scenario such as this, especially when both dogs are leashed, is not allow them to have access to each other. In such a case, common sense should prevail....don't jeopardize your dog's safety .
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I think the most responsible action a handler should make in a scenario such as this, especially when both dogs are leashed, is not allow them to have access to each other. In such a case, common sense should prevail....don't jeopardize your dog's safety .
I have to agree. If you are correcting a behaviour you must ensure the the scenario is staged well as not have to resort to lifting the dog in seconds to prevent a fight. Everything must be done orderly and ensuring everyone is at a safe distance. Regardless, the other dog was far too close and this should have been addressed.
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:35 PM

For all I know, it was addressed and just not shown. But the fact of the matter is, out in the real world, you aren't always going to have control of your surroundings. You aren't going to know the history of every dog you walk by, but that doesn't stop you from going to the off leash park and letting your dog socialize, or letting your dog say hi to another dog you don't know on the street. All it takes is one owner that doesn't know anything about aggression, or can't control their dog. You can't always limit access either, because if you're assuming that every dog is aggressive, your dog would never get socialized. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you mean by limiting access? From what I understood watching it, he wasn't walking to the dog that was attacked. He was standing nearby, the dog lunged, and he pulled him back. What's your recommended distance, because a dog can pull and lunge across a pretty far distance in a short period of time. Sorry it just sounds kind of silly to me. I would be more of the opinion that if the owner knew that the dog had some aggression problems, she should have attended the seminar with a muzzle, it's not like Brad is a mind reader on what kind of issues a dog has when he's had very little time to observe them. This was Day 2 of a 2 day seminar in Toronto that he did, it was not a class where he knew all the dogs and students. First day was inside with 5 dogs (attendees submitted their dogs for consideration, 5 were picked to work with), second day was outside where everyone was invited to bring their dogs.
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Senior Contributor

If you have a class of students - humans and dogs - you ensure everyone and everything is safe. This dog if infact that aggressive should be in private classes first and then would move into a scenario where he will be accessed. Brad missed watching the body language of the dog because he was too busy addressing the woman. He lost control - and he is not suppose to.

He set the mood, and the dog reacted - this is ABC. Set the right mood, be alert, be assertive but composed. He did none of the following now did he.
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I'm a softy

Quote:
So, just so everyone knows, that video has been doctored (as you can see from the person putting the correction part on repeat). I have seen the original, so you have no idea the circumstances surrounding the correction. The actual owner of the dog has posted in the past, I believe here as well, and said that her dog was lunging aggressively towards another dog when he was corrected by Brad with the downward swipe. For anyone wanting clarification on that type of correction, your hand moves quickly down the face in the opposite direction of fur growth, essentially messing up the fur on their face more than anything else.

Whether you believe in corrections or not, whatever, to each his or her own, but please keep in mind that sounds have been added to the video, and it was originally at least 3 or 4 min long, so there was some interaction beforehand. Brad also has initiated legal action against the individual who doctored the video, as it is defamatory, and there are copyright infringements involved with the person at the seminar that shot the video. So please, before going off and Brad-bashing, AGAIN, reserve judgements until you can meet Brad in person and see him in action for yourself. Or better yet, focus on something more productive like talking about how you DO want to train your dog vs how you disagree with the way someone else trains. The abusive ones are the ones that hit their dogs out of anger, or neglect them by not taking them out for walks or training at all, or train their dogs to be mean.

Lynne.. ok ok, we know you think he is wonderful, but come on, really I think it is time you take off the rose colored glasses. That behavior that he did is not acceptable PERIOD! training is a time to bond with your dog to get positive results. His little attitude where he tosses back the dog, and struts off with his snooty comment, AND you don't have a 6 foot leash! Did you see how the people around him are scared of him? Even on his show that is the way he acts, he is a very aggressive person. I know you agree with him, but Lynne, others don't, and there is no way you will convince me that what i saw in that video is acceptable. Brad thinks he is too good, and the sad thing is that people on soapboxes usually fall hard.
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Hey, I've been a good girl and stayed out of this one!! Mr Nino is taking up more of my time. Bayley is being such a good girl with him...man though that cat can scream like a Bobcat, although he only did that once today!! We're making progress here!!
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'm a softy

Quote:
Ha BenMax, you know I couldn't resist this one! I also apologize as I can't post a link to the original video, because it was taken down by the person that owned it. It was originally posted on youtube. Then a bunch of people started flaming Brad, and she took it down because that wasn't her intent in posting it. Then someone had copied it by then, made the adjustments, and yes, added some sound effects. If I remember correctly, in the original, you could hear something when the correction was made, but in this one, if this makes sense, it sounds like the volume was increased a bit at the point the correction was made so it's amplified above everything else. The dog (husky type I think) nearby was also whining and that seemed very loud as well. I wasn't there, so I can only say what the original owner had said about it. The person shooting the video is now involved with youtube and working through some copyright infringment issues, as well as Brad being involved with legal action against the user who keeps posting it everywhere to incite the masses to flame Brad. He's been an issue on Brad's website, as well as others (including this one). Benmax, I think I had discussed that specific user with you privately. Something else that may surprise you is that facial corrections aren't that common in class with Brad. In the 5-6 months that we were in classes with him (2 months of training, then we chose to come back to most of the classes at a reduced rate after that to get our dog more socialization), we saw him do a facial correction....twice I believe. Once was when a dog instigated a fight with another dog, and the other was a dog that wouldn't break it's focus from barking constantly. He always gives you other tools to train, and shows you how to do the corrections properly if you need to. He even gets into an in depth discussion about how to properly massage a dog's chest as a reward, yet no one posts that video of course.

Hehe and as for Brad and pushups....when in class with him, sometimes he'll address a question to the class. Like any teacher, he wants the class to participate. If no one answers right away, he says, alrighty, 10 pushups everyone....then he asks the question again, and guess what, people answer, and everyone has a good laugh. People assume he's this drill sergeant or something, when really he's just an energetic person, who encourages positive thinking. He gets frustrated with people that don't put the time and energy into their dogs. In the video when it looks like he's walking away at the end, he's in the middle of an outdoor seminar/class, so he's not walking away, I'm guessing right after that they started jogging in that direction or something and then tried a different exercise. Keep in mind that you're seeing 30 seconds of a 2-3 hour training class/group walk.

So by now you can tell that I am a Brad advocate, but I also want you to all understand that I am open to other types of training and think there's no shortage to what I can learn about dog behaviour. I'm not some mindless Brad follower that thinks he walks on water. But I do support him for sure, I just wish everyone would be willing to get to know that part of him instead of focusing on the one thing that you don't agree with. Everyone always likes to jump on the Brad bashing wagon because it's easy to do, yet not many seem to want to really ask questions about something. A few here have, I'll give you that, and I appreciate not being run out of town (yet ). Thanks for listening everyone!

Ok possibly I should NOT post until I am done reading the thread, but I could not resist...

Should he not be training the people to train their own dogs? He is yelling enough he doesn't want to hear it at the start, to someone that is presumably talking about THEIR dog, they should not be told to be quiet. He should then instruct the different ways the owner can correct the dog, he has control of that dog. Also he is very tense and angry, he could have just created issues with that dog. I am open to listening and learning from him, but when we talk about situations like this that happen all too often, I listen to them too, I am not going to brush off these dozen different things, and say hey! he is the best dog trainer.. no way would I ever take an opportunity to have a class with him. Don't know who he thinks he is treating the owners that way, and hitting a dog, and yanking it around like that, then throwing it to the owner and walking away, that is very poor treatment of a dog, that is NOT the way to deal with it at all, scare the dog, jeepers creepers!
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Lynne B - please hang out with other trainers and just observe their methods. You will see the difference and I think you will know then why so many of us are not Brad fans. Listen, I am an old school kinda gal - I learnt more and better techniques from others whether trainers or even through ordinary people - LP being one of them since she is a positive guru and convinced me of a few things. I grew and continue to grow.

Brad ain't da man - he just isn't...
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:08 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

LynneB, i'm aware you are a pro Brad person and that's fine, i'm aware you are a member of his web site, that is also fine. Not everyone likes him and they too are entitled to their opinion. You state that you are just making sure we know the truth. I hate to correct you, but no your not. You are stating your opinion of the truth. The only way any of us will see your version of the truth is to see the original version of the video. As this can't supposedly be produced, then this is becoming a he said, she said story. Brad is quite obviously irritated, and he does storm off, you see him lift the dog off the ground, and i have no doubt he smacked the dog. To me it doesn't matter what happened before, durring or after this incident. HE SMACKED THE DOG. This is not an acceptable training method in my books.
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

So help me god, IF that moron ever touched my dogs in that way, I would pound the living snot out of him. He should be charged with animal abuse. @sshole....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I'm a softy

Lynne if the best way to deal with a dog that is lunging is to pull them back so hard their feet lift up then I am in trouble. I have a dog with dog aggression, and she is WAY stronger than me. I have been able to get tons of improvement with positive training methods. I need to stop her without force. I really feel Brads actions are not justidied I don't care what the dog was doing. If the dog refused to sit and hung up his own front paws.. ( that sounds a little wierd to me...) then there is another way to make it work, what he was doing obviously did not work. That was someone elses dog, not his, that is a big difference. He should have had that dog taken away from the group for a minute walk so they both could chill out. I really hate the way he says about the leash and gives back the dog, and the way the owner is acting she looks scared and shocked. Him using that energy, and building the dogs energy will cause all the dogs in that group because they are so close to get worked up, it is asking for trouble! Training should be by the owners, a bonding experience that is positive for everyone. This is not the first thing Lynne, Sorry, there have been many, and some people are going to disagree..

I do not think the video is doctored that much. I agree there is repeat, and that it is a few seconds of a couple different situations lumped together, but by the amature quality I don't think sound and everything else has been changed to the point you say it is. I am sure Brad will get all in a tizzy about it, that is the way he is. He has already shown people they should not piss him off, only speak when spoken to attitude.. If he came out with an explenation of the situation in a positive way, and admit to over reacting, then I would respect him. But going all crazy and trying to sue people or whatever, just makes me think even worse of him. I can get that he is human and he should just admit that maybe he should have handled the situation differently, the video does not accuratly represent what happened and give his side, all would be cool, but he is going to call more attention to it and have people think worse of him reacting the way he is.

Ok, I am done now! i read the whole thing!! This one really bothers me.....
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
For all I know, it was addressed and just not shown. But the fact of the matter is, out in the real world, you aren't always going to have control of your surroundings. You aren't going to know the history of every dog you walk by, but that doesn't stop you from going to the off leash park and letting your dog socialize, or letting your dog say hi to another dog you don't know on the street. All it takes is one owner that doesn't know anything about aggression, or can't control their dog. You can't always limit access either, because if you're assuming that every dog is aggressive, your dog would never get socialized. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you mean by limiting access? From what I understood watching it, he wasn't walking to the dog that was attacked. He was standing nearby, the dog lunged, and he pulled him back. What's your recommended distance, because a dog can pull and lunge across a pretty far distance in a short period of time. Sorry it just sounds kind of silly to me. I would be more of the opinion that if the owner knew that the dog had some aggression problems, she should have attended the seminar with a muzzle, it's not like Brad is a mind reader on what kind of issues a dog has when he's had very little time to observe them. This was Day 2 of a 2 day seminar in Toronto that he did, it was not a class where he knew all the dogs and students. First day was inside with 5 dogs (attendees submitted their dogs for consideration, 5 were picked to work with), second day was outside where everyone was invited to bring their dogs.
My dogs have never been to and will never go to a dog park. And no, they are not allowed to greet a strange dog they meet on the street. Recommended leash length - a couple of feet more then the length of the two leashes.

IMHO - knowing that people with dogs with behavioural issues often watch his show and attend his seminars, the first thing out of his mouth on that second day should have been the question "Is there anyone here who has a dog aggressive dog?"
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I like the way our last trainer handled the DA dogs in the class. Bayley tends to be dog aggressive on leash and in new situations. We stayed away from the other dogs, especially one who was more reactive than Bayley. As classes went along, we moved closer and closer till we could sit on the same side of the room and still have our dog's pay attention to us. So nice on graduation, Bayley and Dovey did a down/stay off leash beside each other.
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:09 PM

I have spent lots of my hard earned dollars to attend seminars on specific topics like dog aggression with top notch trainers, and I don't mean the ones on TV and not one has ever behaved this way for one, for two never in my days has one suggested I lift a dog up. To each his own but I am so thankful for the mentors I have had, the experiences I have had and the dogs that have helped me learn. I am sure if I treated them that way and with that energy I wouldn't be able to help dogs the way I do.

There are so many wonderful training techniques available to us and so many knowledgeable trainers who have spent lifetimes perfecting, studying and are still learning, it's important to know that there is no cookie cutter way to train, but being aggressive or abusive is just not proper and never has been, as well won't gain you or your dog anything.

There isn't a single dog that is the same and you can't train them all like little robots. A man this upset and telling a client that she's irritating him is not a professional. Hissy fits are for kids and I worry what damage has been to dogs he's had his hands on.

Love what trainers you will but be very careful with that love and admiration, because it does affect another life.
Old July 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM

I understand that not everyone agrees with or likes Brad, or his methods. That's ok, I'm not here to tell you to change your mind. I was trying to put a different perspective on the video, as it has been altered and it's not fair to flame someone without knowing the facts (or at least the facts that I am aware of). I freely admit that I wasn't there, I don't know what happened at the rest of the seminar, all I know is the feedback that we got on Brad's website, and it was all positive. Brad has a "strong personality" , and not everyone responds well to that. I can only share what my experiences have been, and you can take that for what it is, agree with it or not, and move on. I'm a pretty practical person, and I'm fine with other people disagreeing or even disliking me. My husband and I have a lot of respect for Brad, we enjoyed his classes, and he's a friend, as such we don't like seeing his name dragged through the mud, and we don't like it when people make assumptions on what his training methods actually are, as there are hugely wrong assumptions out there. At the same time, I know that some of you feel very strongly that as a trainer, he shouldn't do some of the things he does. As for myself, I don't agree with what other types of trainers recommend either. Maybe Brad talked to that owner afterwards, maybe he addressed the frustration, who knows, it's only a 30 second video. And guess what, some trainers make mistakes too, that's life. The issue is that we don't know what happened afterwards, or beforehand, or what they were even discussing to begin with.

If anyone knows of any good seminars coming up in Calgary, let me know, I'd love to see other trainers in action, I think you know that BenMax, so thanks for bringing it up. Hehe and I know some of you think that I'm wearing rose colored glasses, or putting Brad on a pedestal, and it does make me laugh a little. But if that was the case, I'd be saying that all other training methods are bad and Brad's are the only way to go, and listen to him blindly agreeing with everything he says. That's very far from the truth. I give him a hard time right back with my sarcastic humor, and I ask a lot of questions of him before I make any decisions on what my opinion is. I sometimes give out advice on his site as a moderator, and he agrees sometimes, but not always. I think some of Brad's methods line up very well with some aspects of PRT, but not all obviously. And like someone else stated, all dogs are different and have different personalities, so you have to adjust your training methods accordingly, even Brad.

PS - Pattymac, I'm glad to hear you're having success with Bayley, sometimes there's nothing better than the feeling of overcoming a hurdle with your dog, so I'm happy you have found something that works for both of you.
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I can understand you defending a friend Lynne B - it is understandable.

If he were my friend (and that is a big 'IF') I would advise him to cool his jets and adjust that attitude of his. He will loose his footing soon as everyone is watching since he is now a celebraty of sorts. The rise is fast and furious, but the fall is hard and unforgiving.
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Alrighty, so this was brought to my attention from one of the other moderators on Brad's site, it was posted by the lady that Brad yelled at. So I was wrong on one of my points, as she said that her dog was also trying to jump Brad, so that must have been in part of the video that was cut out. Anyway, this is also posted on Brad's site if anyone wants to search for it, and this is what her opinion of the whole thing was, and you can draw whatever conclusions you want from it. I have also seen her make comments on some of the episodes on the show on Brad's blog on Slice.

"I'm the lady from video #6 from Toronto Seminar in Oct., where Brad told me to stop talking because I was annoying him, and my dog whom you all think he hit.Well, let me tell you all, that it was a very quick swift movement by his nose, you cannot see it since it was obscured but you all jumped to conclusion that Brad hit him (Rex).Had you been there you would have seen Rex trying to jump Brad, trust me he hasn't tried that ever since and yes I have had to use it a couple of times since. Either Brad was rude or not I was there for my dogs, not for my ego.
All I want to say is whatever works for your dog either Brad's or someone else's methods, as long as you find something that works.I saw 3 differnt trainers before Brad, all worked on treats,and none worked with my dogs, spent plenty of money on the way.I also have several physical problems that at times hinder me to do certain things, but Brad's training methods have made it easier on me physically. Yes I put a lot of work into it, but at times I physically can't but I don't give up.
Just remember if you want to see the real Brad, go to his seminar and don't judge him for his TV PERSONA.
If your ego is easily hurt, STAY AWAY.
IF YOU LOVE YOUR DOG, GO!!
STOP INSULTING EACH OTHER. BE RESPECTFUL. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT AND SO ARE OUR DOGS.
maria salutari Mtl. Qc.
Tuesday, 30 December 2008 21:57 PM EST"
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Lynne B - I speak for myself. Anything short of this man being attacked does not merit a smack, wack, brushing the dog's fur the other way or anything else that does ANYTHING in front of the face of that dog is unwarranted.

Brad is very lucky to have followers that are willing to stand by him.

This explanation made by the woman does not change anything for me.

In my opinion, Brad being humped.............never mind I will not comment.
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Sorry but I've seen him smack dogs in the face on his show too, I'm not against physical interruption in training but this guy is not my cup of tea...
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Just a sad commentary that abusing our animals is an acceptable method of training. While the whack on the nose is dismissed, the choking out the dog isn't even commented on.

Sorry, but if you plan on lifting my dog off of his feet by his collar - he had better have flesh in his mouth. Because that is the only thing that warrants such a correction.
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM

Here's another training video, please watch it with the sound off.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=32083761264

I have a friend who spent her money on one of brads seminars and she was NOT impressed therefore I don't need to waste my money and based on what I have seen of him on TV etc, there is absolutely nothing I would learn from him.
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Hehehe BenMax, I think she meant her dog jumped up at Brad (not sure if it was aggressively or not), not humped....sorry you just made me giggle out loud picturing that!

Also, I was asking around to see what they were arguing about to begin with, because I couldn't remember, and another person (who was there) thinks it was because she kept on saying that she couldn't do some of the training, referring to her physical limitations, she kept on saying "But I can't" and Brad was stopping her and being abrupt telling her that she was making excuses, or something along those lines. I realize that it doesn't change anything for you guys, that's alright, but in case it helps anyone else that's reading to understand more about what happened, it's there....from what I've seen of Maria's comments in other forums, she's done really well and had a lot of success in training her dog, and has worked very hard at it.
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post
Here's another training video, please watch it with the sound off.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=32083761264

I have a friend who spent her money on one of brads seminars and she was NOT impressed therefore I don't need to waste my money and based on what I have seen of him on TV etc, there is absolutely nothing I would learn from him.
That little dog was as relaxed as all get out, so please explain why he was being literally pulled up by the leash in such a way?

Lynne_B, perhaps you are okay with treating a dog like that, but I'm not, and I seriously doubt anyone here is going to come around to your way of thinking.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:23 PM

And, so why did you want people to watch that with the sound off? It's kinda key to the video to have someone explain what they're doing. Rudy is one of the coolest little dogs I've ever met, and man is he ever smart! One of the first classes we went to, Brad was demonstrating some of the training exercises with Rudy, and at that point all that was going through my head was, wow, I hope my dog can be that well trained when I'm done.
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
That little dog was as relaxed as all get out, so please explain why he was being literally pulled up by the leash in such a way?

Lynne_B, perhaps you are okay with treating a dog like that, but I'm not, and I seriously doubt anyone here is going to come around to your way of thinking.
Brad was trying to demonstrate how you would initially teach a dog how to lay down. Basically you give the command, put them into the down position, and praise. He's just managing the dogs position with the leash. Some trainers do this with treats by bringing the treat down so the dog lays down, or some physically push the dog down on the butt for sit, or whatever. To note though, Brad has said to not push down on a dogs butt because it can put pressure on their hips and do damage to the spine. Rudy is of course relaxed because he's well trained and Brad is using him to demonstrate the way to do it, he is very bonded with Brad and is used to him using him as the demo dog. Managing his position with the leash is no different from walking the dog and the leash going tight when going around the corner or changing directions. Brad's voice is calm, and he's giving Rudy lots of praise for helping him out. If it were a puppy, I'm guessing it would be a bit more squirmy, which is why it's good to have a good grip on the collar or leash to be sure you are guiding him down to the position you want him to be in, and lots of praise for the end result.

As for coming around to my way of thinking, I'm not asking you to. All I'm doing is giving you all the facts as I know them, and you can make your own decision. I'm a big girl, I can take it . As for "my way of thinking"....There are a lot of training aspects that I don't agree with either. I don't agree with using prong, shock, or spray collars. I don't agree with shock fencing for perimeter work, I don't agree with using treats to train dogs in obediance as I think that a lot of people out there don't know how to use them correctly, and end up doing more harm than good. I don't think that every dog will need a physical correction, I do believe in pack mentality and the presence of dominance (or submission), and the concept of being alpha. I think that it's important to learn as much as you can so you can make an informed decision, whatever that decision is. But I will say that my dog does get treats, just not for doing something in training. I also think treats can work well for teaching tracking, or bird dogs. There are lots of different ideas and options for training out there, and all have their benefits and pitfalls. I think praise is hugely important in training, as well as building the bond with your dog. I think that all dogs have different needs that fall into the categories of social, physical, mental stimulation, and that having fun is important. So that is "my way of thinking" and you can choose to agree in part or disagree, I just hope you have as good of a relationship with your furry buddy as I do!

Last edited by Lynne_B; July 16th, 2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: forgot to add last part
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess we didn't see the same video. I saw a man pull a dog up by the leash, from the down position, with a bit more enthusiasm than it warranted.

I think this can go around and around and nobody will change their opinions, at least I know I won't.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/