Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 18th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Dog Biting His leg to the blood

I have a 1 1/2 yr old Golden retreiver male (neutered) have since he was a pup.. I took him to vet for stomach inflamation they placed him on intervenise and steroids for the infection.. They never found out what caused the infection. But now since he has been home he wont stop chewing his legs to the blood. vet feels the steroids (deltosone) should stop him from chewing his legs but this is the second perscription and he still bad at it.. Does anyone have any idea what i could do to help my dog i dont want him on steroids not good for him.... I love my dog he never had that chewing problem before... they gave him intensive and the steroids
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe it is a reaction to the steroids or many some other medication. Can you bandage the area he is chewing till it can start to heal
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
Maybe it is a reaction to the steroids or many some other medication. Can you bandage the area he is chewing till it can start to heal
yes we did bandage the areas he wont stop we are at wits end and yes we have contacted the vet about a reaction but no comment from him.. but ty for input
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

I know things that will stop the biting but you cannot put them on open sores. Maybe some teatree oil it does not sting and is natural it may help. Try a small test spot and watch your dogs reaction to it. I would do a quick google on it to see if it is harmful if ingested I do not thinKso but please check.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Here are some things that you might want to ask your vet about:

1. Bacterial and fungal infections can cause intestinal and skin problems, but fungal infections can get worse with steroids. Your vet should be able to check whether your dog has a bacterial or a fungal infection by doing a skin culture. If your dog has had antibiotics, it would not be uncommon for him to develop a fungal infection secondary to a bacterial infection. If so, you might want to check with your vet about medications and/or feeding yogurt to your dog.

2. I have cocker spaniels, and cockers are prone to both skin problems and constant itching. Cockers are obviously different than golden retrievers but our neighbor has 2 goldens and they also tend to have skin/itching problems. It's almost like OCD because once they start itching, they can't seem to stop. You might need medications from your vet (anti-anxiety?) to help break the cycle. However, I like to find out why it happened before trying to stop the behavior. They itch for a reason and you need to find out why.

Good luck.

Last edited by DRN; July 18th, 2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
I know things that will stop the biting but you cannot put them on open sores. Maybe some teatree oil it does not sting and is natural it may help. Try a small test spot and watch your dogs reaction to it. I would do a quick google on it to see if it is harmful if ingested I do not thinKso but please check.
Tea tree oil can be extremely toxic to dogs and cats and has caused temporary paralysis in some cases. PLEASE DO NOT use it
undiluted on open wounds and especially not if there is a risk of ingestion.
Old July 18th, 2006, 04:52 PM

I think you need a cone (aka e-collar or elizabethan collar).
Old July 19th, 2006, 07:02 PM

I also think you need a cone. My dog used to bite at her upper tail until it bled. I went through the steroids and antibiotics with my vet with only temporary relief. The steroid shots also were very hard on her kidneys. I was desperate. I was at WalMart and saw a salve called "Bag Balm" - It is in a green metal container. It is used on cow's udders to stop chapping and irritation. I put it on her open sores where she was biting and lo and behold she stopped biting and the area cleared up in a couple of days. It looks like a thick vaseline and has sort of a camphor smell. She hasn't had a problem since. She has scally skin on her tail and after every bath I put a little on her tail. Hope this helps.