Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 20th, 2006, 05:34 PM
sucker for shelter dogs

Has anyone's dog been treated for acute pancreatitis?

We took our dog Raven to the vet today because she had lost interest in eating, had become lethargic and vomited after eating and drinking a few times. The vet thinks she may have developed acute pancreatitis after eating a fatty beef soup bone just over a week ago (we had also recently started her and our dog Rusty on Natural Balance Potato and Duck kibble) but is treating her for gastric irritation for the time being with an antacid (famotidine), something to coat her digestive tract (Sulcrate) and Medi-Cal gastric canned food for the next few days.

I did some research on acute pancreatitis and it says that dogs are often fasted for 3-5 days and given an antibiotic. Now I'm afraid that any food we give her may be harming her if she does have pancreatitis. Our new vet is absolutely wonderful (Dr. Sherry Ahluwalia at Thickson Road Pet Hospital in Whitby, Ontario) and really seems to know what she is doing but I'm so worried that Raven will take a turn for the worse on Christmas weekend when the clinic is closed.

If any of you have a dog that developed acute pancreatitis, how exactly were they treated? Were food and liquids withheld completely? Did they require an antibiotic? How long did it take them to fully recover?

Any information would be muchly appreciated.

Last edited by celticfox; December 20th, 2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old December 20th, 2006, 06:08 PM

I had a dog who was so diagnosed, but she had complicating conditions (chronic kidney disease and was on medication which may have triggered the attack). She was treated with IV fluids as she would throw up anything such as water or food. Food and water were completely withheld, yes. This was for maybe three days perhaps. Sadly, she did not recover. Pancreatitis can damage other organs besides the pancreas and her kidneys were bad to begin with. It is best to withhold fluids and food until the pancreas has recovered but how long probably differs case by case. If you feed or give ice cubes to the dog and they throw it up, it is too soon. I do not recall that my dog was given an antibiotic but this was a few years ago so maybe i'm forgetting. If the dog is given fluids by IV they should be ok without food or water orally, although they may very much want water. I would be careful what you feed your dog, and don't feed much fat. Probably would feed small portions of food and then see how it goes. For water, ice cubes are good as opposed to letting them drink a lot of liquid all at once. Ease your dog's system back into eating and drinking. I hope your dog is ok!
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Hopelessly devoted 2 dogs

You said "Our new vet is absolutely wonderful" so TRUST her! I went through this last year with one of my dogs and our vet did the same course of treatment and thankfully it was not pancreatitis, which is rare. They must tell you what it could be until they know for sure through testing, so always follow their instructions before and after diagnosis.
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:00 AM

Acute pancreatitis is not very rare at all unfortunately.

this thread is from nearly 4 yrs ago, so I am sure the issue had been resolved.