Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 30th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

You can take the dog out of the farm, but you can't take the farm out of the dog

I adopted Buddy, who originally came from a farm, and still has many "farm" traits.

He has found a pack of what seems to be wolves (although they might be a coyote wolf cross) and chases them !!! He olnly weighs 55lbs but he means business and they actually run from him (we counted 7 of them the other night).

Just last week, he found, chased and tackled one, who eventually re-joined it's pack, and Buddy proceeded to chase them all out of the area.

I just worry that one day they will turn on him, but he's not at all afraid, I'm sure he must have met some before when he was on the farm.

He is also an amazing mouser better then all my cat's put together ! (Frenchy you can borrow him any time )

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If he's only 55 pounds, he'd be unlikely to be able to tackle a wolf which might be twice his weight. So I suspect it's coyotes he's chasing. I'd be worried that the pack might turn on him, too. They've been known to do that around here...lure a dog out then dispatch it. Any way you can keep him from running out after them?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If he's only 55 pounds, he'd be unlikely to be able to tackle a wolf which might be twice his weight. So I suspect it's coyotes he's chasing. I'd be worried that the pack might turn on him, too. They've been known to do that around here...lure a dog out then dispatch it. Any way you can keep him from running out after them?

They are HUGE, they are so much bigger and taller then him. But according to the news around these parts, they believe the wolves and coyotes have been cross breeding and are calling them "Coywolves". so they could be that.

Buddy may be small, but he is fearless, and knows exactly how to handle other dogs and animals. He has rolled a huge rotti, and a lab pitbull mix, as well as other large dogs. He's not aggressive, but will roll and pin any dog who shows aggression towards him.

I think because he was raised on a farm with other animals and dogs, he is very wise.

Yes we can keep him from running after them,but then he couldn't have his leash free run, that he loves so much. He always listens and has great recall, but when it comes to that pack,it''s like he feels we are being threatened so chases them a safe distance from us then returns to us.

So far this pack has not attacked any dogs in our neighbourhood, and there are so many small dogs that I'm surprised that they haven't yet. But I'm also glad they fear Buddy, that way they won't attack dog's, because we all know what will happen when they do, they will probably be destroyed:sad: and they are so beautiful, and it would be a shame to lose such beautiful, creatures.

We do carry bear spray as well as a toy gun that shoots rubber bullets just in case.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old December 30th, 2009, 08:01 PM
owned by Tucker

Coyotes are becoming a problem in Ontario in a lot of areas, there are lots at my cottage near Owen Sound and they are here in the Toronto area too. I am very leery of them with my dog Tucker is 65lbs but they can lead a dog away and do attack them...I remember someone here a few years ago if I remember right thinking that they were trying to play with their dog until they did attack her dog and hurt it thankfully it was not killed. Most areas don't kill them until they start killing their livestock, but I know I have seen few rabbits and porkies around up north in the last year guess they are dinner.
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We had (last I heard, anyway) 11 dog deaths attributed to wolf attacks in Wisconsin this year--8 of those were in my county. Both wolves and coyotes have been known to lure a dog out to the waiting pack.

Luckily for the wolves, they're protected in WI so there've been no consequences for them. Unfortunately, the policy is too protective IMO--the wolves haven't been taught that humans are dangerous. We were up along Hwy 70 a few years back and stopped for a wolf crossing the road. Not only was it not afraid of us (hubby was hanging out the window trying to startle it off the road), but it was obviously not traffic-wise and was bold enough to actually mark on or very near our front tire as we sat there. That kind of nonchalance around things human is going to result in a human injury or death at some point that might have very sad repercussions for the wolves.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post

He is also an amazing mouser better then all my cat's put together ! (Frenchy you can borrow him any time )
Buddy is welcome here anytime tell him it's much safer to chase mice than it is chasing coyotes

Quote:
I'd be worried that the pack might turn on him, too. They've been known to do that around here...lure a dog out then dispatch it.
I have heard that too , many times. They'll start by playing with the dog and then .... :sad:

so Buddy , leave the coyotes alone and go for the mice
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Buddy is welcome here anytime tell him it's much safer to chase mice than it is chasing coyotes

I have heard that too , many times. They'll start by playing with the dog and then .... :sad:

so Buddy , leave the coyotes alone and go for the mice

Yes Frenchy, he catches a mouse every time he goes for his walk!! and he actually caught some here in my house, and I didn't even know I had mice ( 4cats and we had mice ) we had them in our crawl space, but have since completely cleaned it, and put traps in (humane ones) but the traps caught nothing and Buddy caught 2 ! yes he's the best mouser we have ever had!

As for the coyotes or coywolves, Buddy is not playing at all, he's angry and wants to get them away form us, and they do run from him (probably the first time the've been on the receiving end of a chase) I think the rodents, rabbits and fools who let their cats out, are the reason they are hanging around, I haven't seen rabits or cats in my neighbourhood in quite some time :sad:

I heard they want to put a "bounty" on coyotes heads so people will kill them :sad: that's so sad. But ours are safe for now, since there is no hunting within city limits.

Old December 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
and I didn't even know I had mice ( 4cats and we had mice ) we had them in our crawl space, but have since completely cleaned it, and put traps in (humane ones) but the traps caught nothing and Buddy caught 2 ! yes he's the best mouser we have ever had!
wtg Buddy !

it's too bad about the bounty that might happen .... in a way , people can't let them reproduce too much but ... we are invading their territory more and more :sad:
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I have 8 dogs and they run away when mice charge them! hubby does, too. They always come to me when we have a mouse loose in the house!

Think Buddy could stop here after he visits Frenchy and teach the Pack and hubby how to handle mice?

Old December 30th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
I have 8 dogs and they run away when mice charge them! hubby does, too. They always come to me when we have a mouse loose in the house!

Think Buddy could stop here after he visits Frenchy and teach the Pack and hubby how to handle mice?

SURE!!! Buddy would love to visit and teach all how to mouse hunt

Old December 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM
-

Quote:

that,s ok , I think , we have it under control .... last week I was hearing strange sounds in the living room .... first night I thought it was Churchill, he was laying on his side and I thought his declaw was slipping on the carpet and making the sound but .... next night I heard the same sound .... it was coming from the base of the love seat I swear it was a mouse .... Nelly was on the love seat ... minding her own business a few days after that I found .... a bit of blood splatter in the bathroom .... where only the cats can go , and none were injured so , I think they got the mouse

I mean
Old December 30th, 2009, 09:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

LOL, Frenchy! I can tell you're all torn up inside about it!

Does that mean Buddy can just skip you and come right to hazel's house?

Old December 30th, 2009, 09:02 PM
-

Quote:
LOL, Frenchy! I can tell you're all torn up inside about it!
yes yes I am , it's just my way of coping with the loss .... yes that's it , coping
Old December 30th, 2009, 09:05 PM
You can call me DOG!

In the part of Ontario I live in, we've have many instances with coyotes attacking family pets. My SIL lost 2 cats to coyotes--beautiful girls they were. :sad: Live and Love.

Not sure if someone or something has taken control of the situation but, it's been pretty quite with our residential coyote problem so far this year.

Just be cognizant and keep a close watchful eye.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:04 PM
Senior Contributor

You can take the

A friend's Bouvier was also chasing the coyotes for weeks on end until one day they lured him into the corn field and beat the hell out of him. Owners heard the rukus, thank heavens they got there in time and he spent 5 days at vets, had over 140 stitches and lost an ear so curtail your little guy's chases or he'll end up dead.
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Coyotes are smart and if I were you, I would keep Buddy on a leash. The pack will spread out over kms of area and lure or "herd" their prey to where they want them.

I had a big buck killed only a 100 feet from my house on Christmas morning :sad: . I only ever saw a set of 2 tracks on my lot, but when the coyotes went in for the kill there were probably 10 that came out of nowhere . It took only seconds:sad:, there was no time to react. I really think the two chased the buck into an area that others were patiently waiting, and surrounded him.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey