Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 11th, 2004, 04:05 PM
banned user

Anyone know about Topagen Antibiotic?

Thursday we were at our Vet's again with Blaze our 7th old Golden with demodex mange. More skin scraping and still not sure if we are winning the battle with this disease. My question is this time our Vet wanted us to start a Antibiotic for Blaze's damaged skin so we now have Topagen Spray 4Xs daily for 10 days on any large patches if damaged skin. Has anyone every used this spray or now anthing about it if it works or not? I did go to the website for the company but nothing was said about this spray, I really just like to know alittle more about this. My vet think it is good and will help I trust her but again never hurt to ask others right.
Old September 11th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey Golden! I used the spray for a mild rash on Briggs and had wonderful results. It aborbs quickly after about 5 minutes of so. I don't know about Blaze's condition though because it is more serious than Briggs'. Best of Luck!
Old September 11th, 2004, 04:16 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
Hey Golden! I used the spray for a mild rash on Briggs and had wonderful results. It aborbs quickly after about 5 minutes of so. I don't know about Blaze's condition though because it is more serious than Briggs'. Best of Luck!

Thank you tell me please when using this spray was there still hair on the spots? I ask cause Blaze still has hair on the spots and hope it will work through the hair too skin. I do rub it in to skin, is that ok or should I not do that?
Old September 11th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, she still has hair. It was there before and it's still there now. It didn't really bother her at all. I honestly don't know about long hair. I didn't have to rub it into Briggs' because she has short hair, sorry!
Old September 11th, 2004, 06:34 PM
banned user

We were out for our walk tonight and ran into our neighbor who also has a Golden male Parker, anyway he is having skin problems their Vet thinks allergies and I learned Parker is now on Topagen too . I guess it is pretty common so I guess I have nothing to worry about.

I just would rather know alittle about something before giving any meds to my boys, I'm glad to hear it works well.
Old September 12th, 2004, 12:08 AM

Here is another site about Topagen Spray. I hope it has some info on it that you can use.

Topagen Spray Info
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Sammi

I've only ever used it on dogs with maggots. After we've picked all the nasties out from under the skin

We have a dog at our clinic with demodex and it's being treated with sheep drench and it's working quite well. The dosage has to be worked out precisely, but ask your vet if she thinks it will help Blaze. It may be controversial, I don't know; but it's helping this particular dog.
Old September 12th, 2004, 01:45 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAC
I've only ever used it on dogs with maggots. After we've picked all the nasties out from under the skin

We have a dog at our clinic with demodex and it's being treated with sheep drench and it's working quite well. The dosage has to be worked out precisely, but ask your vet if she thinks it will help Blaze. It may be controversial, I don't know; but it's helping this particular dog.
What is sheep drench? I have never heard of it but if I knew alittle about it I would call our vet right away and ask her about BLaze having it. Hey any help is great. You see a dog with demodex and you know what I mean it is so hard to treat.
Please let me know more about this.
Thanks
Old September 12th, 2004, 01:49 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly
Here is another site about Topagen Spray. I hope it has some info on it that you can use.

Topagen Spray Info
Thanks Shelly,

I went and read it, I have a Shih Tzu too Jordie he was 4 Sept 7th will post birthday photo's when film is done. Thanks again
Old September 12th, 2004, 01:53 PM
banned user

Quote:

Sorry I wanted to ask how old the dog is with demodex? is it generalized or localized What bred of dog is it? I would rather not use Ivomac but will have to if Blaze does not fight this off on his own. He is now 7 months old and came with Demodex from his mother ( Paws R Us Kennel) stay clear of that place.
Old September 13th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Sammi

It's a female Pitty, Age is estimated around 1-2yrs and she has it all over her body The other dog that we're treating with Ivomac is a shepard, male <1yr and he has generalized.
Nothing else was working for these guys, so we went with the drench. so far so good, but there are no guarantees with demodex (as I'm sure you know).
Old September 13th, 2004, 02:41 PM
banned user

Quote:
It's a female Pitty, Age is estimated around 1-2yrs and she has it all over her body The other dog that we're treating with Ivomac is a shepard, male <1yr and he has generalized.
Nothing else was working for these guys, so we went with the drench. so far so good, but there are no guarantees with demodex (as I'm sure you know).
What is drench?
I know about Ivomac not ready to use it until we need to but never heard of drench what is it?
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:11 AM

Smile Topagen

Our 4 yr. old Golden 'Winston' gets about one hot spot per year. Our vet told us that hot spots are a sign that his immune system is working. Hot spots can grow extremely quickly so it's important to address the situation fast. Watch your dog closely when you see him/her scratching or pawing itself more than usual. We have used a combination of hydrogen peroxide to dry up the sore. We dab the area then follow it later with Topagen. It has always worked very well for us.

Last edited by ddailly; June 9th, 2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo