Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 21st, 2009, 04:40 PM

Question Cats and water bowl MESS??!

I was wondering what other people do if they have a cat or cats who LOFF to go crazy with water, besides just drinking it. I have a couples of cats who will splash around, and I end up with like, about a cup or 2 of water all over the floor. It's crazy.

With about 10 indoor cats and dogs, I have about 4 bowls, and they are heavy and solid. I've discovered it helps to put one smaller heavy bowl with water inside a larger but empty heavy bowl, but those 2 cats are part raccoon, maybe?? Any other solutions, ideeas?? Thanks muchly.
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM
Doggie Wench

Rear winter car mats are what comes to mind. Just dump them out regularly into the bath tub.
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yep, I have a few of those in the sanctuary. They love to play in the water. Even when it's freezing cold. Silly gooses. I give them the biggest bowl I can find with a flat bottom so it can't be spilled easily and put a big towel under it. Under the towel is a plastic mat. I change the towel every day but at least their floor isn't soaking wet in their houses.
In the house I do the same for the six kitties and two dogs. I also keep a cup of fresh water in the sink all the time. I have a few that won't drink out of the bowls on the floor. But they aren't spoiled at all.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM

Moved the dish to the bathroom, where the floor is slightly more waterproof, and water on the floor is semi-expected.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

This is why they invented Sham Wows!
Under every bowl in my house...
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
Catlover2

Water fountain may be solution.

All the cats I ever owned over many years never showed any interest in playing with water in bowls, but I have heard certain breeds do like to play in water, eg. Turkish Angoras and especially Turkish Vans. Some cats may prefer a water fountain as the moving water attracts them. Maybe that would be a solution?
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:00 PM

I used to use bowls with wide brims & narrow bottoms but my Molly would play around in the water and knock the bowls around all the time. What a mess she'd make.

Nowadays I use very heavy / wide-bottomed, low ceramic bowls for my Himalayans' water (Brita filtered & changed every morning). Molly still might dip a paw in now and again but she can't budge these bowls, and we haven't had spillage since.

Silky... likes to have her own special water glass. I leave a small glass filled to the brim with fresh water on the kitchen counter for her all the time. She doesn't play around with it, she's always neat & tidy, but likes to stop and take a sip while making her rounds on the kitchen counter.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:45 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Thumbs up

OOO, I LIKE these 'water bowl' ideas...varied, and creative . I have at least one cat who uses the huge pasta bowl I got at a thrift store as his personal SPA(uh, that would be the Tallyboy, so I'm hoping he'll grow out of it...a bit??).

We also keep a smaller, but 'solid' type of water bowl behind the stove-so it's not accessible to big LE Roy, and even JRT Sadie. That seems to work well, since especially Roy is prone to slobber, which keeps us busy rinsing the big bowl out .

After a frisbee session, Roy just about floods the kitchen floor. I've tried to get him to drink outside/cool down more/drink in the porch...but NOOOO !! He HAS to slurp down in the kitchen, so after trying the mat/towel etc. ideas, now we just keep a sponge mop handy.

(The smaller female lab I grew up with had no slobber problem at all; I've seen St. Bernard's etc. with bibs or whatever, but was surprised by Roy-the-Lab's incredible slurping, as opposed to drooling. I guess it's those big ol' jowels of his...they just OOZE water after he has a big drink.)

Nice to know I'm in good company ...with the 'glass for a cat' thing, too; we used to have one cat who only drank out of her very own mug...from the Winnipeg Humane Society, so very appropos...
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM

water fountains are preferred by my cats. They refused to drink out of a bowl(until we got one for our puppy). They play even more with the fountain in an effort to gurgle, then they have their drink
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old December 31st, 2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
All the cats I ever owned over many years never showed any interest in playing with water in bowls, but I have heard certain breeds do like to play in water, eg. Turkish Angoras and especially Turkish Vans. Some cats may prefer a water fountain as the moving water attracts them. Maybe that would be a solution?
Don't forget Bengals & Savannah cats!
Old December 31st, 2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I use the circulating fountains....my guys love them and they are not really all that messy except we you have to change the water in the morning.
My Maines love water and I also have to turn on the taps whenever I go near a sink for them to drink from. Not bad except for when they shake their heads after drinking and get water all over the mirrors in the bathrooms!

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge